How to use .bak file to restore email

wangbir...@discussions.microsoft.com

Mar 22, 2007, 11:37:00 PM3/22/07
i make a mistake that delete all the mail . and now i
just have a .bak file,other files are missing(include .pst).

i try to change name .bak to .pst ,but use scanpst.exe and outlook input fail.

i change .bak to .dbx and use "Macallan Outlook Express Extraction"
tool ,"Recovery for Outlook Express" tool to restore, but i cann't restore
anything.

how can i do? thank you very much!

Bruce Hagen

Mar 22, 2007, 11:48:30 PM3/22/07
The bak files are created in the Recycle Bin when you compact, not when you
delete. OE uses dbx files which are the ones backed up as bak files. MS
Outlook uses pst files, and is not backed up when you compact.

If you are using OE, this is how to restore dbx (bak) files.

All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069

To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first locate the
Message Store in Windows Explorer.

In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location
of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, the dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these files
in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under
Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer |
Tools | Folder Options | View.

In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing, or empty, folder
and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted later once you have
successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message Store.

Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact* same
name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If the
file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new folder
and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue on to
the next step.

Open the Recycle bin and right click on the bak file for the folder in
question and click Restore. Open the Message Store back up and change the
file extension from .bak to .dbx. Close the Message Store and open OE. The
messages should now be back in the folder.

If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"wang...@msn.com" <wangbir...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:77ED0F25-33FD-4093...@microsoft.com...

wangbir...@discussions.microsoft.com

Mar 27, 2007, 9:53:29 PM3/27/07
thanks for your answer,but i need more help.
one:
so ,this my action step. i open oe,and find the the message store folder, at
this folder some .dbx file in it. then i created a folder (named save) in oe,
in that folder a save.dbx file is show.
i closed oe, delete save.dbx, and move .bak file to this folder, rename .bak
to save.dbx file.
then ,i open oe, but in save folder this is nothing.

tow:
in your text,the "Open the Message Store back up and change the file
extension from .bak to .dbx" , i don's know what is the Message Store ? a
software . ( because i use a simplified chinese oe)

Bruce Hagen

Mar 27, 2007, 10:04:44 PM3/27/07
I am sorry, but I don't understand.

You say you found the Message Store, and then say you don't know what the
Message Store is.

Read this KB Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

"wang...@msn.com" <wangbir...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:88FB594B-7E37-41BE...@microsoft.com...

wangbir...@discussions.microsoft.com

Mar 28, 2007, 1:38:01 AM3/28/07
oh,sorry, i am question is not clearly.
i think that .bak file is bad file (It is not my file, i just help my leader
,he is not good on it),maybe the .bak file is bad when i got it . i cann't
restore anything from .bak file by DBXtract tools, and from
'http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069' i step by step do it, but nothing
happened.
so i give in , and i give him some advise in how to use oe.

thank very much!!

Bruce Hagen

Mar 28, 2007, 10:55:21 AM3/28/07
You created the Save folder in the OE folder tree. *Open* that folder and
close OE. Go to the message store and drag Save.dbx out of there to the
Desktop. Open the Recycle Bin and right click on the Save.bak folder and
click Restore.

Open the message store folder and rename it to Save,dbx. Close the message
store and open OE. As long as you opened the Save folder before you closed
OE, the messages should be back.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

"wang...@msn.com" <wangbir...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E0849EB1-30E3-4927...@microsoft.com...

Steve Cochran

Mar 28, 2007, 1:00:32 PM3/28/07

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

> You created the Save folder in the OE folder tree. *Open* that folder and
> close OE. Go to the message store and drag Save.dbx out of there to the
> Desktop. Open the Recycle Bin and right click on the Save.bak folder and
> click Restore.
>
> Open the message store folder and rename it to Save,dbx.

You mean rename save.bak to save.dbx?

Bruce Hagen

Mar 28, 2007, 1:10:52 PM3/28/07
>You mean rename save.bak to save.dbx?<

Yeah. That's what I meant.
--
~Bruce

"Steve Cochran" <scoc...@oehelp.com> wrote in message

brandnewme

Nov 17, 2007, 11:53:02 AM11/17/07
I have been all over the place trying to figure out how I can open or do
whatever is necessary to see what are in the files now named bak and dbx. I
am really stupid when it comes to computers, but dangerous enough to mess
things up, so please give me another explanation as to how I fix my problem.
I have NEW folder in c drive that lists dbx and bak files, however I can't
open. I have also lost a ton of unread email and wonder if this is where it
went. Please give me step by step directions on what to do with the bak and
dbx files along with any other help you think necessary. Outlook Express has
been a major headache for several months now and I am not sure why. Thank
you Thank you
--
brandnewme

Bruce Hagen

Nov 17, 2007, 12:19:03 PM11/17/07
Please define "new folder". What is it called, and what it the location? You
don't open dbx files. They contain the messages you have in OE. The only
folder you should see dbx and bak files is your message store. See this for
it's location.

In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location
of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default

marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Imperial Beach, CA

"brandnewme" <brand...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

brandnewme

Nov 17, 2007, 12:41:00 PM11/17/07
The message says that the personal message store is located in the following
folder C:\New Folder. When you say to press the tak key to highlight the
folder I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying to hit the tab key when
this message pops up and hit it until it hightlights? If so, I highlight it,
which I did, but when and then I am not sure of your next insructions of
Ctrl+C because nothing happens when I do that.

Bruce Hagen

Nov 17, 2007, 1:05:11 PM11/17/07
You must have moved the message store as that is not the default location.

Forget about the Tab key and all the rest. Just write down the path and go
to Windows Explorer and follow the path to find it.

Make sure you enable Hidden Files and Folders first.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"brandnewme" <brand...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

brandnewme

Nov 19, 2007, 11:46:00 AM11/19/07
OKAY, because I have 2 identities in Outlook Express I was able to put the
message store back to where it should be. NOW.......I have read your reply
and I now know where to find the dbx and bak stuff, however I still unsure as
to how to retrieve what I lost and put back into my Outlook Express. Sorry
to ask you this again, but can you explain like you were dealing with an
idiot as to all the steps I need to take to get dbx or bak files back into my
OE. I am thoroughly confused now and because I have become dangerous enough
to put the message store in another place, by accident, I need to make sure I
don't do another stupid thing. I have enabled the show hidden files so I am
now ready to do whatever I need to. Because I have put the message store
where is was supposed to be I have been able to follow your instructions up
to where I hit OK and see the OE files. I can see the dbx and bak files, but
not sure what to do next. Thank you immensly for you help.

Bruce Hagen

Nov 19, 2007, 11:56:45 AM11/19/07
For this explanation, I'll use the Inbox as an example. Do you have an
Inbox.dbx /and/ an Inbox.bak file in the message store right now? Or is the
bak file in the Recycle Bin? If what is posted below is not understandable,
answer these questions and post back.

In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing, or empty, folder
and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted later once you have
successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message Store.

Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact* same
name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If the
file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new folder
and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue on to
the next step.

First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.

If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right

click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open the

message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx. Close
the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in the
folder.

If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Imperial Beach, CA

"brandnewme" <brand...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Nov 19, 2007, 12:41:34 PM11/19/07
[<snicker> Told ya so!]
--
~PAÞ

Bruce Hagen wrote:
> For this explanation, I'll use the Inbox as an example. Do you have an
> Inbox.dbx /and/ an Inbox.bak file in the message store right now? Or is
> the
> bak file in the Recycle Bin? If what is posted below is not
> understandable,
> answer these questions and post back.

<snip>

brandnewme

Nov 19, 2007, 4:58:03 PM11/19/07
Inbox.dbx is there, but Inbox. bak is not and it's not in the recycle bin
either. All entires in message store are dbx files.

Bruce Hagen

Nov 19, 2007, 5:05:45 PM11/19/07
Your original post said you had bak files. If you don't, then the only hope
is DBXpress.

DBXpress run in Extract From Disk Mode is the best chance to recover
messages:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

To help avoid this in the future:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Backup & Restore:
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/

This is a great two click program:

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB)

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"brandnewme" <brand...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

brandnewme

Nov 20, 2007, 3:42:00 PM11/20/07
I have NO idea how or what happened but I do have bak files, however they are
in that new folder I had told you about before I was able to get the message
store back to where it should have been. dbx are in the message store and
bak are in a folder in my c drive. Does that change anything now in how I
can possible fix it or do I need to use that DBXpress?

Thank you for the instructions on the other issues as well. I told you that
I am stupid, or should I say dangerous, when it comes to computers, but can
you tell me how I take the information that is in the folders within my OE
and put them into a seperate folder somewhere else. Would you agree that
putting them in my documents is the best place? Once I get this mess cleaned
up I am going to print all the directions you have given me and go through
each and every one step by step. Thank you very much!

Bruce Hagen

Nov 20, 2007, 4:01:09 PM11/20/07
First, if there are any bak files that do not have folders in OE, create
them. Eg: If there is a Saved Mail.bak, create a folder named Saved Mail.

Are there any folders that have new messages in them now? Eg: If you have an
Inbox.bak you want to restore, move any messages out of the current OE Inbox
to a folder you create. Otherwise, the messages may be over written.

Now, close OE. Open Windows Explorer and expand the path to your current
message store. For any dbx files that need to be replaced with bak files, in
the right hand pane, grab them on at a time an drag them to the Desktop at
the top of the Windows Explorer folder tree.

Leave that path expanded, but now continue to the new folder with the bak
files. With them in the right pane, drag the ones you need to the current
message store folder. When it turns blue, let it go.

Open OE and see if the messages are back. If not, there is still one more
trick.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"brandnewme" <brand...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

brandnewme

Nov 21, 2007, 1:34:01 AM11/21/07
Forgive me for being stupid, but when you ask if there are any bak files that
do not have folders in OE are you talking about the local folders I have
originally created in OE? I really want to understand this dbx and bak file
stuff. Is the dbx what I will be recovering? bak stays where it is? When
you say in the right pane (?) grab them one at a time and drag to the desktop
at the top of the windows explorer folder tree I am not sure I understand.
Leave that path expanded? I really appreciate your patience as I am really
trying to understand and do this. If you think it's easier to use the
dbxexpress I will look into that, but I think at this point I would love more
detailed (like you were teaching someone stupid for the first time on a
computer) instructions, if that is possible.

scipio6

Nov 21, 2007, 8:49:47 AM11/21/07
On Nov 21, 1:34 am, brandnewme <brandne...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> read more >>

Maybe this will help you understand about dbx and bak files.
OE stores messages in the form of a DBX file. One dbx for each folder
that exists in OE.
Periodically, OE compacts the dbx files. Before doing this, the
program makes an exact copy (backup) of the dbx files.
Since two files with the same name can not exist in the same folder,
the copy is automatically given the extension bak.
The two files are identical but with different extensions, one dbx and
one bak. For example, Inbox.dbx and Inbox.bak.
If the dbx file suffers corruption or otherwise becomes unreadable by
the OE program, the file can be replaced by it's exact copy, the bak
file.
In order to do that, place the bak file into the Message Store folder
where the faulty dbx file is. Now remember, they are exactly the same
except for the extension (e.g.Inbox.dbx and Inbox.bak, Your
messages.dbx and Your messages.bak, etc.) and two files with the same
name can't exist in the same folder so you need to remove the one with
the dbx extension. Once it's gone(deleted or moved to a different
folder to play with later), change the file of the same name but with
a bak extension to dbx (Inbox.bak will now be Inbox.dbx for example).
Next time you open OE, the folder (in this example Inbox) should have
the messages restored.
Now go back and reread the instructions that Bruce posted and see if
they make more sense.
If you need more help, send me an E-mail and I'll send step by step
with pictures.

Bruce Hagen

Nov 21, 2007, 10:22:16 AM11/21/07
You said you found the new folder with the bak files, and the message store
you put back where it belonged. This is in Window Explorer, the location of
all your files.

When you are in Windows Explorer and click on the New Folder, you see the
bak files in the right hand pane, correct? You have to grab each one that
you need and drag it to the Outlook Express Message Store folder so they are
in the same place as your dbx files.

The empty folders in OE have empty dbx files. The bak files have all the
messages in them as they were a backup created when you compacted. So, you
want to restore the bak files.

Click on the message store folder and you will see your dbx and bak files in
the right pane now. If there is a user created bak file but the folder is
not in Outlook Express, you have to create it again and then close Outlook
Express.

Back in the message store, let's say you have a Mail.dbx and a Mail.bak
file, and the one with the messages is the bak file you have to rename it to
Mail.dbx, but you can't rename it if there is a Mail.dbx file already there.
So, either delete the Mail.dbx file if you are sure it contains nothing, or
if you look at the very top of the folder tree, the first thing listed is
Desktop. You can drag the Mail.dbx folder there, and then rename the
Mail.bak file to Mail.dbx.

I don't know how to explain it any better. Is there anyone close by that
might be able to help with this?

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"brandnewme" <brand...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

scipio6

Nov 21, 2007, 12:43:22 PM11/21/07
I posted a simplified explanation of DBX and Bak files that I thought
might be helpful, but regretfully in the wrong spot. If you click the
"Read more' in the previous post, it's at the bottom.

> read more >>

Bruce Hagen

Nov 21, 2007, 1:25:53 PM11/21/07
That was a good explanation, but the OP had somehow moved the message store
and then moved it back. Now the bak files are in one folder and the dbx
files in another, so unlike Restore from the Recycle Bin, they have to be
dragged from one folder in Windows Explorer to the message store. That is
where it seems to become complicated for the OP.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"scipio6" <bart...@verizon.net> wrote in message

brandnewme

Nov 21, 2007, 5:01:01 PM11/21/07
I WISH I had someone here to help me! OKAY, I have put all dbx and bak files
together. Of course, the inbox bak is not there so by what you have told me
I will not be able to get back the lost unread messages because the only file
showing is the inbox dbx, right? Also, I didn't see the other information
the other person sent that was also helpful.

Now that I have put everything in one place what is the next step? I went
over what you have previously sent but want to be sure I follow the steps in
the right order. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW IMPORTANT YOUR HELP HAS BEEN TO ME!!!!
I am truly greatful. I sure hope this all works after all the patience you
have had with me.

brandnewme

Nov 21, 2007, 5:03:02 PM11/21/07
I could not find your post at the bottom. Could you resend as it appears
that it might be helpful to me in the future. I appreciate it and Thank you.

--
brandnewme

scipio6

Nov 21, 2007, 5:14:28 PM11/21/07
No problem. I"m pasting it from my previous post.

On Nov 21, 5:03 pm, brandnewme <brandne...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I could not find your post at the bottom. Could you resend as it appears
> that it might be helpful to me in the future. I appreciate it and Thank you.
>
> --
> brandnewme
>
> "scipio6" wrote:
> > I posted a simplified explanation of DBX and Bak files that I thought
> > might be helpful, but regretfully in the wrong spot. If you click the
> > "Read more' in the previous post, it's at the bottom.
>

> read more >>

Bruce Hagen

Nov 21, 2007, 5:16:04 PM11/21/07
You put the files all together. You put the bak files where the dbx files
were, not the other way around, I hope.

When you open the message store, you see all the files on the right side of
the screen. Let's say you have a Mail.dbx that you believe is empty. Grab it
with the left mouse key and drag it to the Desktop. This is at the very top
of left side of the screen. Now you can rename Mail.bak to Mail.dbx and when
you open OE, the folder named Mail should have the messages back.

Repeat for any other files and make sure OE is closed when you do all of
this.

Any idea what happened to the Inbox.bak file? Maybe it is still in the
Recycle Bin?

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"brandnewme" <brand...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Nov 21, 2007, 9:57:16 PM11/21/07
Bruce and I both will make house calls: $75/hour + transportation, lodging
and meals.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

brandnewme wrote:
> I WISH I had someone here to help me!

<snip>

Bruce Hagen

Nov 21, 2007, 10:06:24 PM11/21/07
> Bruce and I both will make house calls: $75/hour + transportation, lodging
> and meals.

And beer!

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

brandnewme

Nov 22, 2007, 2:06:01 AM11/22/07
This has been helpful and following Bruce's directions make much more sense
now. What do I do with the dbx folders that I have put aside? Do they get
deleted? I can't find the inbox.bak and that is really the one I wanted. I
have tried to locate it but the only bak folder I can find, I believe,
belongs to the other identity I have on this computer. What a mess. It is
taking some time to do all this, but it helps me learn while doing. I have
so many questions, but will wait until I get done with this first. Thank you
so much.
--
brandnewme

brandnewme

Nov 22, 2007, 2:09:00 AM11/22/07
Thanks, but this computer isn't worth that much! How far do you travel?
--
brandnewme

scipio6

Nov 22, 2007, 2:12:39 PM11/22/07
Hang onto them until you're sure everything is back the way you want
it.
For the Inbox:
I'm going to assume a couple things. First is that you have the
original Inbox.dbx for the identity you're restoring (not the one
that's currently in the Message Store). Make a [B]COPY[/B] of it and
put the copy on your desktop so you can find it easily.
Second is that the file didn't suffer corruption and only got lost by
OE.
To avoid confusion, do the following after everything else is done and
OE is back to normal.
Open OE and create a new folder. Name it Test. Click on it to activate
it. In the message pane it will say "No messages in this view".
Open the Message Store folder and verify that there is a Test.dbx in
it. Leave the Store folder open and close OE.
!!This is important. Delete Test.dbx. Be sure to do this before
continuing.!!
Now reduce the window so you can see part of the desktop and also the
files in the Store folder.
On the Desktop, rename the copy of Inbox.dbx to Test.dbx.
Drag the Test.dbx from the Desktop into the Store folder. Verify that
it's there and close the Store folder.
Open OE and click the Test folder.
If ( big if ) the Inbox file wasn't corrupt, the messages should
display. If they do, treat folder Test like any other folder. Rename
it, move messages to other folders, whatever you want.

FYI: I'll travel halfway around the world for a good meal and free
beer. :)

On Nov 22, 2:06 am, brandnewme <brandne...@discussions.microsoft.com>

PA Bear

Nov 22, 2007, 11:05:50 PM11/22/07
How much money do you have? <eg>

brandnewme wrote:
> Thanks, but this computer isn't worth that much! How far do you travel?

brandnewme

Nov 25, 2007, 2:41:01 AM11/25/07
I thought I had it down with the process, however when in the message store I
decided to look in folders and I found more dbx and bak files in other
places. I have no idea what this means or how they got there. Is this
something I need to be worried about? I am at the point to where I am going
to forget about getting any messages that were lost back. I would just like
to get OE straightened out now. I have 2 email accounts on this computer, so
what would you recommend? Is this something I need to get the Geek Squad out
to fix or can I have Dell get it taken care of since I have paid for help. I
can't believe the problems I have had with OE and now this!!!
--
brandnewme

Bruce Hagen

Nov 25, 2007, 11:25:43 AM11/25/07
I don't recall you mentioning a second account. Do both accounts use the
same OE Inbox, or do you have to switch identities? If the latter, then you
have separate message store folders for each account.

If you want to try to get the messages back, I think it's time to bring the
machine to a reputable repair shop. I don't think Dell is responsible for
something like this.

If you want to give up on the missing messages, then just use OE as it is. I
wish I could have resolved this for you, but it has turned into a real mess.
If the machine was in front of me I could probably do more, but at this
point, I can't see how.

Get this freeware tool to backup OE daily and you won't have to rely on bak
files to bail you out in the future.

This freeware tool backs up everything in OE in seconds. Disregard what is
written in red. That is referring to a different program.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB):
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"brandnewme" <brand...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ChilledPip

Jun 29, 2009, 5:33:01 AM6/29/09
Tagging on to the end of this very old conversation - I have followed all
your steps to the nth degree and yet can still only restore inbox... my other
folders are there in OE and in the Message Store but the folder in OE are
empty.

What seems to have happened is Message Store has duplicated my new dbx files
(i.e. there is personal.dbx and personal1.dbx) and it is not reflected in
OE... what on earth am I supposed to do? I know your way works cos Inbox has
restored but what to do about my other folders?

Please see full explanation here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general&tid=ced9bc55-9834-4feb-bac6-b7d2e1bcfd4e&cat=en_US_84883150-57ad-41d0-b145-8f6c650b58ef&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 29, 2009, 11:37:19 AM6/29/09
Please stick with your own thread, Pip.

terrilynn

Feb 15, 2010, 8:56:01 AM2/15/10
Bruce,

The trouble is, the .dbx file did not go back into OUtlook Express, neither
was it restored. NOW WHAT?

terrilynn

Bruce Hagen

Feb 15, 2010, 10:41:12 AM2/15/10
Again. Please start your own new thread. Thank You.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"terrilynn" <terr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DAS

Feb 15, 2010, 4:20:11 PM2/15/10
Let's see if I can do this as a non-MVP...

In addition to instructions already cited by Bruce...

Keep OE closed.

Restore .bak file to correct location (i.e. in OE store folder).

Rename .dbx file from, e.g. Inbox.dbx to Inbox10.dbx.

Change the extension on the .bak file to .dbx.

Open OE. You should see what you want to see...

Good luck.

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'

Steve Cochran

Feb 16, 2010, 8:49:18 AM2/16/10
See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1 and use the bak file just as you would a
dbx file.

steve

seb...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2017, 5:44:34 AM12/19/17
Thank you for the instructions, worked like a charm after I left only the file that was filled up and deleted the empty one.

Regards, Sebastian