Email rejected as spam but it is not

Sam Hobbs

Feb 13, 2009, 3:07:47 AM2/13/09
When sending email using Windows Mail with Vista, I am getting the error:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 't', Account: 'Verizon MyAccount',
Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1
The message you attempted to send was determined to be spam. Please visit
http://www.verizon.net/spamfaq for more information.', Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69

I am getting that from two new Verizon accounts but I don't get an error
when I send using non-Verizon accounts. The accounts were created yesterday
and today and this is the first time I tried to use the accounts to send
email.

The messages are very simple; they are just test messages. I use "t" for the
subject and I put nothing in the body. When I send email using other
accounts, it goes through with no problem and when I receive (I am sending
email to myself for testing purposes) the messages there is no evidence of
the message being spam; that is, there is nothing in the message that should
not be.

I assume that the problem is in the Verizon email server or somewhere such
as that but Verizon insists that it is not their problem. Does anyone have a
clue as to whether it is or is not likely to be a server problem?

Bruce Hagen

Feb 13, 2009, 6:10:31 AM2/13/09
Wrong group.

Windows Vista Mail Newsgroup.

In your newsreader:

On the Web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Sam Hobbs" <Gaterem...@SamHobbs.org> wrote in message

Rich/rerat

Feb 13, 2009, 8:30:19 AM2/13/09
***Cross Posted from microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general to
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail***

Sam Hobbs,
Verizon.net uses spam filtering on outgoing mail.

The use of the single letter "t" and no text in the message body, may be
triggering the SPAM filter. It might feel the message is SPAM, because of the
incomplete Subject line, plus no message text. You should use whole words, or
phrases in the Subject Line, and put something in the message body, such as:

"Testing my email settings." And repeat this in the message body.

Rich/rerat
(RRR News) <message rule>

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 13, 2009, 12:13:37 PM2/13/09
And have you visited http://www.verizon.net/spamfaq?

Al in Philadelphia

Feb 13, 2009, 2:43:01 PM2/13/09
I had a similar problem after changing my antivirus from Norton to a freebie
- PC Tools Antivirus. It apparently does not automatically recognize POP3
accounts in the Ports to be scanned and this caused my email send receive to
stop functioning (in fact it also caused my emails to report out as SPAM to
my provider). I went into the email scan settings, clicked on the port
settings under advanced and clicked yes to scan the POP3 for the subject port
and everything started working fine after that. Don't know if this will help
you but it worked for me......best of luck

Gary VanderMolen

Feb 13, 2009, 3:09:25 PM2/13/09
For a free antivirus you can't beat AVG or Avast for Windows compatibility.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 13, 2009, 3:06:47 PM2/13/09
Except that the OP's ISP is doing the filtering here, Al.

Sam Hobbs

Mar 9, 2009, 5:46:57 AM3/9/09
I am using Avast and it is working great.

Sam Hobbs

Mar 9, 2009, 5:48:43 AM3/9/09
And is there something you are trying to say?

Yes, I certainly visited the page and everything else there I could find
that is relevant.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sam Hobbs

Mar 9, 2009, 5:53:20 AM3/9/09
Sorry about that. I will use the other newsgroup in the future when it is
relevant.

I apologize also for ignoring this. I should have gotten back here much
sooner. I am embarrassed to admit that I had forgotten about this.

The error is nearly certainly a Verizon problem. Some of the Verizon people
should not be support people; the couple I spoke with refused to admit that
there was any possibility whatsoever that it might be a Verizon problem. Yet
about an hour or two after I attempted to send messages and got the errors
described here, the messages were sent successfully. It was the exact same
message(s) that were in the outbox.

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 9, 2009, 10:09:25 PM3/9/09
Thanks for that endorsement.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

D. Spencer Hines

Mar 9, 2009, 9:42:21 PM3/9/09
How often are the AV updates?
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Gary VanderMolen" <ga...@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message

Sam Hobbs

Mar 10, 2009, 10:32:28 AM3/10/09
Whenever needed. Since this is getting off-topic perhaps we should limit the
conversation.

Avast has an audio notification when updates are made. I usually hear the
notification of updates haven been done when I start the system everyday and
I hear it at random times during the day, so at least once a day usually.

"D. Spencer Hines" <pan...@excelsior.net> wrote in message

D. Spencer Hines

Mar 10, 2009, 11:21:28 AM3/10/09
Thank you.