Re: Will anyone help me understand, please?

~BD~

Jul 24, 2009, 3:49:35 PM7/24/09

"Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote in message
news:YMCdnUvP1f89T_TX...@pipex.net...
> "~BD~" <Boate...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote in message
>>> "~BD~" <Boate...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Looking back through the last few posts by "PA Bear [MS MVP]" I
>>> would agree with you. He/She normally posts with Outlook Express.
>>> You can tell by looking at the headers.

>>> Looking at the posting-ids which are logged in the headers
>>> (NNTP-Posting-Host), the ip address is the same for this and the
>>> done by someone using the same internet gateway/router.
>>> --
>>> Brian Cryer
>>> www.cryer.co.uk/brian
>>
>> Hello Brian - thank you for your comments.
>>
>> It's odd that TRT and Mike think otherwise isn't it?
>
> TRT has a reputation for being unreliable - both in pirating other
> people's work (as is often reported) and in falsely claiming to be an
> MVP.
>
> Mike didn't disagree, from his post he clearly looked at the headers
> because he referred to the posting IP address and he just jumped to
> the (correct) conclusion that PA-Bear does sometimes use Google
> Groups. He just cut out the middle logic in confirming the observation
> that PA-Bear seems mostly not to.
>
>> I'm not really familiar with newsgroups, but I strongly suspect that
>> there is an element of abuse taking place in the Microsoft (?)
>> newsgroups I've visited!
>
> There is a lot of trolling and spamming in many groups, so its easy to
> people to become twitchy. Sad, but a sign of the times.
> --
> Brian Cryer
> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Thanks for your additional post, Brian.

You might like to review this post (from another group) - the poster
seems totally genuine from past contact.

I'm still confused!

Regards, Dave

"N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:46:54 +0100, ��BD�� wrote:
>
>> Two new friends in another group tell me that PA Bear always posts
>> from Google Groups. Do you agree with that?
>
> I have never seen a genuine PA Bear post come through Google Groups.
> While
> he uses a 'gmail.com' email address, I have not seen a PA Bear post
> from
> Google Groups. Not unless he is prone to using proxies, so his
> "NNTP-Posting-Host:" looks different. Something which could not be
> proven
> (that a proxy user is the same as somebody else, not that he is, or
> isn't
> using a proxy to access Google Groups).
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Mike Easter

Jul 24, 2009, 4:08:54 PM7/24/09
~BD~ wrote:

> I'm still confused!

You are misquoting people. Not 'always' - not 'never'.

The issue is does PABear *ever* (post via GG) and the answer is yes.

Here's one each very recent, GG and MS's newsserver.

From: "PA Bear [MS-MVP]"
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.security
Subject: Re: Prevx - is it the best protection?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:05:01 -0700 (PDT)

From: "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
Subject: Re: User named "microsoft" in administrators group
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:42:30 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.security

since one of those - the GG - is in current 'contention', here's another
older GG one

From: "PA Bear [MS-MVP]"
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.security,<snip>
Subject: Re: MS will "soon" unveil free anti-virus software "Morro"
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:20:07 -0700 (PDT)

--
Mike Easter

~BD~

Jul 24, 2009, 4:52:22 PM7/24/09

"Mike Easter" <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote in message

> ~BD~ wrote:
>
>> I'm still confused!
>
> You are misquoting people. Not 'always' - not 'never'.
>
> The issue is does PABear *ever* (post via GG) and the answer is yes.

Mike, first of all I should like to thank you for taking an interest in
helping me to understand what is actually happening! :)

FYI, I post using Google Groups with my full user name of BoaterDave. I
use ~BD~ when using msnews.microsoft.com and, indeed, Eternal-September.
I've used BD2 when posting via 'news.aioe.org' - solely so that I can
keep some sort of track during my experimentation.

There is a 'PA Bear' who has consistently lied with regard to me being
banned by ISP's. This is completely untrue. 'He' will not correspond
with me either.

In my simplistic view, someone who is such a prolific poster as PA Bear
is highly unlikely to modify his posting manner - it would be one way or
another and not change. It thus follows, to my mind, that another entity
comes into the equasion. How, and why, I have not yet finally
established. If 'he' does change his posting 'method' - the question I
would pose is ......... *why*?

Maybe he'd explain if someone else asked him!

I sure could do with some help in pinning down the bad guys!

--
Dave

Tom Willett

Jul 24, 2009, 5:07:18 PM7/24/09

: There is a 'PA Bear' who has consistently lied with regard to me being

: banned by ISP's. This is completely untrue. 'He' will not correspond
: with me either.

:
Actually, he, and many others, know it *is* true.

nobody >

Jul 24, 2009, 8:59:53 PM7/24/09

Methinks you are extremely paranoid about this.

~BD~

Jul 25, 2009, 1:58:45 AM7/25/09
Peter Foldes wrote:
>> I've been using them for a while now because they don't publish
>> one's IP address in numerical form.
>
> Everyone can still tell when it is you that post even without IP .
> That certain arrogance comes through clear as day in your posts. That
> is what gave you and gives you away every single time when you forge
> other peoples names such as mine for example and as to the ones that
> you play stupid to as to not to know it when you post with forged
> names
> Forger and liar and you are also a thief by posting other peoples
> views which you claim or pretend to be yours.You did it today also
> when you posted to D Lipman like you knew what you were talking
> about. We all had a great laugh on your expense.

Interesting comments, Peter. You said "We all had a great laugh ..."

What I need to clarify is your use of "WE" - it rather sounds as if
there are lots of you in the same room - is that the case?

Always wondering!
--
Dave

~BD~

Jul 25, 2009, 2:20:08 AM7/25/09
> ~BD~ wrote:

<snip>

> Methinks you are extremely paranoid about this.

Hi!

You are fully entitled to have a view on matters! ;>)

I become confused by things I do not understand. Others have persuaded
me to be suspicious of headers where I can't see a numerical IP
address - one like yours, in fact, viz:-

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:59:53 -0700
From: "nobody >" <useneth...@aol.com>
Newsgroups:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Subject: Re: Will anyone help me understand, please?

~BD~

Jul 25, 2009, 2:34:55 AM7/25/09
Mara wrote:

> Well, you yourself admitted to being banned at aumha.org
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/kwv3xf

I do not dispute that, Mara.

In my quest to discover the bad guys and learn more about the
exponential increase in Cybercrime, I've asked many questions.

Some folk have become ......... 'edgy', if I've got too near the truth.

In particular, those at www.annexcafe.com and those at www.aumha.net.

I confirm that *both* of these organisations have banned me from posting
there.

As far as I'm aware, I have been banned by NO other organisation.

HTH
--
Dave

N. Miller

Jul 25, 2009, 6:03:45 AM7/25/09
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:20:08 +0100, 嚙踝蕭BD嚙踝蕭 wrote:

> I become confused by things I do not understand. Others have persuaded
> me to be suspicious of headers where I can't see a numerical IP

> address ...

Whether a post carries an "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header line, or not, is
generally dependent on the news service used. I use to post through
'news.sf.sbcglobal.net', before AT&T shut it down. That server included the
"NNTP-Posting-Host:". So does 'msnews.microsoft.com', which I mostly use for
posting to the Microsoft newsgroups. However, since I had to find a
replacement for the now defunct AT&T news servers, I settled on a free news
service called, "eternal-september" (formerly called, "Motzarella"). There
server does not add the "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header line. Nor do some other
news services. A poster's IP address is hardly necessary to determine if
they are trustworthy, or not.

Mara

Jul 25, 2009, 10:52:28 AM7/25/09

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:34:55 +0100, "~BD~" <Boate...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Mara wrote:
>

>> Well, you yourself admitted to being banned at aumha.org
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/kwv3xf
>
>I do not dispute that, Mara.
>
>In my quest to discover the bad guys and learn more about the
>exponential increase in Cybercrime, I've asked many questions.
>
>Some folk have become ......... 'edgy', if I've got too near the truth.
>
>In particular, those at www.annexcafe.com and those at www.aumha.net.
>
>I confirm that *both* of these organisations have banned me from posting
>there.

Nice backpedal, but it just doesn't work.

That's not what you said. You said, and I quote directly:

>>I HAVE NEVER - *EVER* - BEEN BANNED BY *ANY* ISP - NEVER!
>>
>>As God is my judge.
You said you had never been banned by anyone anywhere. Those are YOUR words. I
don't think you expected anyone to find the real truth, but hey, them's the
breaks.

You can't have it both ways. If you had been banned and now claim as in your
words above, you lied. If you haven't been banned, then the post I found is a
lie. And I haven't even looked further than that - yet. You seem to be terribly
interested in drawing attention away from what *you* have said and done by
reflecting it onto others.

Say goodbye to your credibility. :)

--
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagn'nagl fhtagn."

~BD~

Jul 25, 2009, 1:39:27 PM7/25/09

Whist I'm sure you mean well, Mara, please note ............

An ISP is an Internet Service Provider.

Here in the UK I have used Freeserve, which became Wanadoo and then
Orange. I have used AOL (the global one) and I have used AOL (UK). I'm
currently using 3 (Three) - mobile broadband, using the 3G network -
from my narrowboat.

I repeat - just for you! I have NEVER been banned by *ANY* ISP.

HTH
--
Dave

~BD~

Jul 25, 2009, 2:18:27 PM7/25/09
N. Miller wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:20:08 +0100, ��BD�� wrote:
>
>> I become confused by things I do not understand. Others have
>> persuaded me to be suspicious of headers where I can't see a
>> numerical IP address ...
>
> Whether a post carries an "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header line, or not, is
> generally dependent on the news service used. I use to post through
> 'news.sf.sbcglobal.net', before AT&T shut it down. That server
> included the "NNTP-Posting-Host:". So does 'msnews.microsoft.com',
> which I mostly use for posting to the Microsoft newsgroups. However,
> since I had to find a replacement for the now defunct AT&T news
> servers, I settled on a free news service called, "eternal-september"
> (formerly called, "Motzarella"). There server does not add the
> "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header line. Nor do some other news services. A
> poster's IP address is hardly necessary to determine if they are
> trustworthy, or not.

Thank you for that explanation, Norman. I'm sure you will have noticed
that I, too, use Eternal-September, sometimes, nowadays.

I am a little confused by "phx.gbl" which appears in many of the headers
of PA Bear - yet he says that he usually posts from the Microsoft web
interface although he's confirmed that he does sometimes use Google
Groups.

Any ideas?

--
Dave

Aardvark

Jul 25, 2009, 2:42:52 PM7/25/09

Heh. I wonder how many colonials would know what a narrowboat was.

The Hoffmeister (David Hasselhoff) and his daughters took a trip on one
recently and when being interviewed by Scott Mills about the trip on Radio
1, continually referred to it as a 'longboat'.

Mike Easter

Jul 25, 2009, 2:45:28 PM7/25/09
~BD~ wrote:

> I am a little confused by "phx.gbl"

For someone who spends a lot of time looking at headers, it doesn't seem
that you learn (about them)very fast.

Newsservers may or may not create the MID message-id which belongs to
every message. If the message already has a mid, then the newsserver
may not create one for it. More typically a message does not have an
mid - that is bring the mid with it from the newsreader, in which case
the newsserver by which it is posted creates & stamps a unique mid for
each message it accepts.

Typically that mid has the 'flavor' of the newsserver which
injected/propagated/stamped it.

The msnews.microsoft.com newsserver stamps its messages' mid/s with
.phx.gbl. Those posters who use/ post with/ that MS newsserver whose
newsreaders don't create the (their own) mid are stamped with the MS
newsservers mid creation ending with phx.gbl.

Messages injected by the GG system are stamped with a googlegroups.com
mid.

--
Mike Easter

~BD~

Jul 25, 2009, 4:59:04 PM7/25/09

Mike - thanks for posting.

You are, I'm fairly sure, trying to help me .......... but you are
right, my 'learning' speed (and comprehension) has certainly
deteriorated over the years! When I had my first contact with computers
they had thermionic valves (tubes!)

I now half-understand that I need have no concern regarding phx.gbl

I'll let it rest!

Maybe you'll pop into 'microsoft.public.test.here' and give me some much
needed help! ;>)

--
Dave

BoaterDave

Feb 1, 2017, 2:57:18 AM2/1/17
On Saturday, 25 July 2009 06:58:45 UTC+1, BoaterDave wrote:
> Peter Foldes wrote:
> >> I've been using them for a while now because they don't publish
> >> one's IP address in numerical form.
> >
> > Everyone can still tell when it is you that post even without IP .
> > That certain arrogance comes through clear as day in your posts. That
> > is what gave you and gives you away every single time when you forge
> > other peoples names such as mine for example and as to the ones that
> > you play stupid to as to not to know it when you post with forged
> > names
> > Forger and liar and you are also a thief by posting other people's
> > views which you claim or pretend to be yours.You did it today also
> > when you posted to D Lipman like you knew what you were talking
> > about. We all had a great laugh at your expense.
>
> Interesting comments, Peter. You said "We all had a great laugh ..."
>
> What I need to clarify is your use of "WE" - it rather sounds as if
> there are lots of you in the same room - is that the case?
>
> Always wondering!
> --
> Dave

I never DID get a response to my question!

Now I'm wondering if Bulwinkle/Burford is one of the group.

Sadly, there's no way of knowing - unless folk tell us the truth.

--
Just checking functionality really! :-)

David B.

Feb 1, 2017, 3:04:24 AM2/1/17
The original posts are still held by both Usenet AND Google Groups.

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)