Send email error wowway.com

Brian

Feb 26, 2008, 4:47:31 PM2/26/08
I am trying to help a family member who has lost the ability to send email
but can still receive in OE. The error is error 10060 connection to the
server has failed.
Here is what I tried so far:
Deleted the original wowway account and added it again.
Result still can receive but no sent.

Tried safe mode

Turned off firewall

Went thru registry and deleted remnants of earlier Norton install

Downloaded Mozzilla Thunderbird same error there.

I am at a standstill any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 26, 2008, 4:53:50 PM2/26/08
Post the complete error message, please.

Also run the Norton Removal Tool:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
[Discussion: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080207#story1 ]
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Brian

Feb 26, 2008, 5:16:43 PM2/26/08
The connection to the server has failed pop3.mail .wowway.com
Port 25 No Socket
Error 10060
0X800CCC OE

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 26, 2008, 5:24:28 PM2/26/08
Did you run the Norton Removal Tool?

> The connection to the server has failed pop3.mail .wowway.com

Is that verbatim? Is the Incoming server (POP3) listed as 'pop3.mail
.wowway.com' or 'pop3.mail.wowway.com'? (There should NOT be a space after
the word 'mail')

Check with the ISP: There's a possibility that the server should be
'pop3.mail.wideopenwest.com'.

Otherwise...

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

--
~PA Bear

Brian

Feb 26, 2008, 8:20:54 PM2/26/08
PA Bear,

Thanks for all the help so far!
Checked server settings they are right. Will try norton remove tool and let
you know. There are sure lots of people having this same problem out there!

Brian

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Michael Santovec

Feb 26, 2008, 9:22:13 PM2/26/08
Is he connected to the Internet via wowway.com or another ISP?

Some ISPs block access to other SMTP mail servers while connected via
them. (They block TCP/IP port 25 except to their own SMTP mail server.)
Some of these ISPs will make exceptions if you present a compelling
reason to do this. The error messages may indicate network is
unreachable, access denied, or timeout errors (socket errors 10051,
10061 and 10060.) Another workaround for this is to use the SMTP mail
server of the service that you connect via, but leave your other
settings the same. In some cases you can use Port 587 or 465 rather
than port 25 (specify in OE at Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties,
Advanced). Your ISP is more likely to allow this port. The SMTP mail
server has to support this port. SMTP Authentication will likely be
required. In OE this is specified in Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties,
Servers, Outgoing Mail Server, My Server Requires Authentication.

"Brian" <sport...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Brian

Feb 27, 2008, 8:12:06 AM2/27/08
Thanks for the reply. He is able to connect to wowway.com and send and
receive there. Wowway support was not helpfull at all.
You think they could have tried the different ports!
Brian

"Michael Santovec" <michael_...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

VanguardLH

Feb 27, 2008, 10:01:59 AM2/27/08
"Brian" wrote in message

> The connection to the server has failed pop3.mail .wowway.com
> Port 25 No Socket
> Error 10060
> 0X800CCC OE

There is no such mail as pop3.mail.

.woway.com is an invalid hostname (the domain is specified but the
hostname is missing).

So was there really a space in the IP name for the mail host as you
showed?
"pop3.mail .wowway.com" is not a valid hostname.

See their own web help page on the proper settings:
http://www1.wowway.com/internet/pdf/06302006_IQREF_wowlb5.pdf

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 27, 2008, 11:21:41 AM2/27/08

Urm...

<QP>
Incoming Mail POP3 pop3.mail.wowway.com
Outgoing Mail SMTP smtp.mail.wowway.com
</QP>
Source: http://www1.wowway.com/internet/pdf/06302006_IQREF_wowlb5.pdf

[Are you sure you don't need those glasses checked?]

VanguardLH

Feb 27, 2008, 12:08:54 PM2/27/08
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote in message

> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>> "Brian" wrote ...

>>> The connection to the server has failed pop3.mail .wowway.com
>>
>> There is no such mail as pop3.mail.
>>
>> .woway.com is an invalid hostname (the domain is specified but the
>> hostname is missing).
>>
>> So was there really a space in the IP name for the mail host as you
>> showed?
>> "pop3.mail .wowway.com" is not a valid hostname.
>>
>> See their own web help page on the proper settings:
>> http://www1.wowway.com/internet/pdf/06302006_IQREF_wowlb5.pdf
>
> Urm...
>
> <QP>
> Incoming Mail POP3 pop3.mail.wowway.com
> Outgoing Mail SMTP smtp.mail.wowway.com
> </QP>
> Source:
> http://www1.wowway.com/internet/pdf/06302006_IQREF_wowlb5.pdf
> [Are you sure you don't need those glasses checked?]

And you see Wowway showing a space in their IP names for their mail
hosts?

In Brian's post, you can't see a space character in the IP name for
the mail host?

You think space characters are allowed in IP names for a host?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 27, 2008, 12:16:59 PM2/27/08

We've already covered that. OP says it was a typo.

Ron Sommer

Feb 27, 2008, 1:40:03 PM2/27/08
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

In which reply did Brian say it was a typo?
I must have missed that reply.
--
Ronald Sommer

Brian

Feb 27, 2008, 2:46:35 PM2/27/08
The space was a typo on my part. It is right in the outlook and thunderbird
settings
"

Ron Sommer" <rso...@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

VanguardLH

Feb 27, 2008, 4:25:12 PM2/27/08
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote in message

> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> Urm...
>>>
>>> <QP>
>>> Incoming Mail POP3 pop3.mail.wowway.com
>>> Outgoing Mail SMTP smtp.mail.wowway.com
>>> </QP>
>>> Source:
>>> http://www1.wowway.com/internet/pdf/06302006_IQREF_wowlb5.pdf
>>> [Are you sure you don't need those glasses checked?]
>>
>> And you see Wowway showing a space in their IP names for their mail
>> hosts?
>>
>> In Brian's post, you can't see a space character in the IP name for
>> the mail host?
>>
>> You think space characters are allowed in IP names for a host?
>
> We've already covered that. OP says it was a typo.

Huh? Where is Brian's post that mentions he realized the typo (in his
post or in the e-mail account configuration)? Did that still-unseen
post exist BEFORE my post? He does mention is LATER and as *reply* to
your just-prior post here.

I just pointed out the obvious but which may have been overlooked by
Brian. That was not the problem but couldn't be determined otherwise
by his prior posts. I'm pretty sure we've beaten to death a side
issue that won't help Brian.

VanguardLH

Feb 27, 2008, 4:31:47 PM2/27/08
So are you still unable to send e-mail? The PDF doc to which I
provided a link (yeah, right, web help pages to .pdf files, go figure)
doesn't mention port numbers so presumably they require using the
default ports (110 for POP and 25 for SMTP). They may allow other
ports for e-mail but you will have to search further in their web help
pages or call them again to check.

You are posting from Comcast as your ISP. You are trying to use
WowWay's e-mail service. That means:

- You are trying to send SMTP traffic to an e-mail provider that is
off-domain to network to which you connect. That is, WowWay is
off-domain to Comcast. Comcast may be blocking port 25 traffic that
targets a host that is off-domain of their network as an anti-spam
countermeasure or due to volume abuse from your host for a *personal*
account with them.

- You are trying to connect to WowWay's e-mail service from an
off-domain network. That is, you are on Comcast but that provides no
credentials to WowWay that you are authorized to use their e-mail
service. Have you tried configuring the e-mail account in Outlook or
Thunderbird to have that e-mail client authenticate to WowWay's SMTP
server? Just because Comcast knows who you are doesn't mean WowWay is
going to know and trust you.

For info on off-domain port 25 (SMTP) traffic blocked to thwart spam
from spammers or infected customers, read:

http://www.commercestreet.com/Blocking_Port_25.htm
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-38.html

http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx
http://www.aota.net/Troubleshooting/port25.php4

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bblock+%2B%22port+25%22+%2BSMTP+%2Bspam

Brian

Feb 27, 2008, 5:28:35 PM2/27/08
I am using my laptop at home to try and solve this for Uncle. As a test I
added his email account to Windows mail and was able to send abd receive
from here. That being said it is looking like an issue specific to his HP
PC which is running XP. The next time I get over there I will try the
different ports.

Thanks,

Brian

"VanguardLH" <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in message

Brian

Feb 28, 2008, 10:05:54 AM2/28/08
This is right off the Wow setup page!

Incoming Mail

POP3 pop3.mail.wowway.com

Outgoing Mail

SMTP smtp.mail.wowway.com

"Brian" <sport...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Brian

Mar 6, 2008, 10:06:21 PM3/6/08
I posted about a week ago regarding being able to receive but not send to
wow way. The last thing we tried was changing the outgoing port from 25 to
587. It did not work. Wow techs insist it it a Microsoft issue. I hope
someone has another idea. The Norton removal tool did not change anything.

Update:
I tried telnet from my home PC and could not connect to smtp.mail.wowway.com
25 (or 587) I could connect to pop3.mail.wowway.com 110.
In addition I tried the comcast mail servers and could only connect to the
smtp server on port 587 which I have my email programs set to. This happened
two weeks ago when I could not send email from here and comcast techs told
me to change to port 587. Is this port 25 blocking issue getting to be a big
issue?

Thanks,

Brian

Robert Aldwinckle

Mar 7, 2008, 9:53:06 AM3/7/08
"Brian" <som...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>I posted about a week ago regarding being able to receive but not send to
> wow way. The last thing we tried was changing the outgoing port from 25 to
> 587. It did not work. Wow techs insist it it a Microsoft issue. I hope
> someone has another idea. The Norton removal tool did not change anything.
>
> Update:

> I tried telnet from my home PC and could not connect to smtp.mail.wowway.com
> 25 (or 587) I could connect to pop3.mail.wowway.com 110.

More significantly can you do it from (or for) your uncle's PC?
It's possible that you need to have an IP address from that service
in order to connect to it. (The pop3 server would not matter as much
because you always have to login to open it.)

Hmm... so much for that idea (telnet from my PC):

<telnet command="o smtp.mail.wowway.com 25">
220 pop-1.dnv.wideopenwest.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:49:09 -0600
QUIT
221 2.0.0 pop-1.dnv.wideopenwest.com closing connection
</telnet>

Have you checked the IP address you are using?

<nslookup>
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: smtp.mail.wowway.com
Address: 64.233.207.14
</nslookup>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Lance...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2008, 10:30:45 AM3/8/08
On Mar 7, 9:53 am, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
> "Brian" <some...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >I posted about a week ago regarding being able to receive but not send to
> > wow way.  The last thing we tried was changing the outgoingportfrom25to
> > 587.  It did not work. Wow techs insist it it a Microsoft issue. I hope
> > someone has another idea.  The Norton removal tool did not change anything.
>
> > Update:
> > I tried telnet from my home PC and could not connect to smtp.mail.wowway.com
> >25(or 587) I could connect to pop3.mail.wowway.com 110.

> More significantly can you do it from (or for) your uncle's PC?
> It's possible that you need to have an IP address from that service
> in order to connect to it.    (The pop3 server would not matter as much
> because you always have to login to open it.)
>
> Hmm...  so much for that idea  (telnet from my PC):
>
> <telnet command="o smtp.mail.wowway.com25">
> 220 pop-1.dnv.wideopenwest.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:49:09 -0600
> QUIT
> 221 2.0.0 pop-1.dnv.wideopenwest.com closing connection
> </telnet>
>
> Have you checked the IP address you are using?
>
> <nslookup>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    smtp.mail.wowway.com
> Address:  64.233.207.14
> </nslookup>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > In addition I tried the comcast mail servers and could only connect to the
> > smtp server onport587 which I have my email programs set to. This happened

> > two weeks ago when I could not send email from here and comcast techs told
> > me to change toport587. Is thisport25blockingissue getting to be a big
> > issue?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Brian
> > "Brian" <sportsda...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >>I am trying to help a family member who has lost the ability to send email
> >>but can still receive in OE.  The error is error 10060 connection to the
> >>server has failed.
> >> Here is what I tried so far:
> >> Deleted the originalwowwayaccount and added it again.

> >> Result still can receive but no sent.
>
> >> Tried safe mode
>
> >> Turned off firewall
>
> >> Went thru registry and deleted remnants of earlier Norton install
>
> >> Downloaded Mozzilla Thunderbird same error there.
>
> >> I am at a standstill any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> >> Thanks,
>
> >> Brian- Hide quoted text -

I tried telnet yesterday from my Uncles PC and was not able to connect
to smtp.wowway.com port 25 or 587.
I am leaning towards a reformat and reinstall of XP.

Thanks,
Brian

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 8, 2008, 12:59:55 PM3/8/08
Lance...@gmail.com (Brian)wrote:
<snip>

> I tried telnet yesterday from my Uncles PC and was not able to connect
> to smtp.wowway.com port 25 or 587.
> I am leaning towards a reformat and reinstall of XP.

Has Comcast Support confirmed that you can send *any* messages from your
na...@wowway.com account using *any* SMTP server when you're connected to the
internet via Comcast? If not, a wipe & reload isn't a good idea (and I
doubt doing so would help anyway).

Robert Aldwinckle

Mar 8, 2008, 8:42:11 PM3/8/08
<Lance...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Have you checked the IP address you are using?

You didn't answer my question about the nslookup result.
That could help explain the symptom.
And if it would have helped reinstalling will have been a waste of time.

Your choice.

---