Outlook 97 fails to load in Windows XP

pcfixer

Jul 29, 2004, 8:25:29 PM7/29/04
Sorry for posting in so many newsgroups, but I need an answer ASAP. I
installed Office 97 on a fairly fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP1. All
the Windows Updates have been installed. Norton Internet Security 2004 is
running in the background. Before actually loading and of the Office apps,
I installed Office 97 SR-2b. After that, when trying to load Outlook, it
gets to the point of saying "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook build the
Outlook bar" and then the program crashes with Windows XP's version of an
illegal operation and saying something about the file user32.dll. I
uninstalled a Windows update that modified that file and it didn't fix it.
I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of Office 97, no good. I noticed
that even after that, the "About" box in other Office apps still have the
"SR-2" in them, so I'm thinking that something to do with the service
release is causing problems. I really need to get this to work, so if
anybody has any idea how to fix it, please let me know ASAP. Thanks.