Problems with address books

Peter Brown

Oct 4, 2004, 7:20:53 AM10/4/04
I've had to re-install outlook '97 a couple of times to sort out some
problems. Now I find that contacts isn't the default mail list. That's to
say when I want to send an email the list of people is from an old address
book and not from the contact list I have in front of me!

How do I make sure that when I want to send an email or fax that I'm
presented with a choice from my contact list?

How can I safely delete the old address books which are now a waste of
space?

Peter

Peter Brown

Oct 4, 2004, 7:20:53 AM10/4/04

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Oct 4, 2004, 8:14:41 AM10/4/04
Doubt it's the address book. More likely the AutoNameCheck list:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164598&Product=out

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Peter Brown" <sol...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

Peter Brown

Oct 4, 2004, 8:38:43 AM10/4/04
Not really, it seems to me that the source of the address is an old pab file
rather than the contact list that I've been using for the past 18 months. I
used to use the pab but changed to the contact list (forgotten how I did
this!). how do I change back? what's the data source for the contact file?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <rus...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Oct 4, 2004, 4:35:24 PM10/4/04
That depends on whether you are using a PST file or an Exchange mailbox.
Instructions on how to migrate from a PAB to a Contacts Folder are here:
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/olconpab.htm#plan3

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Peter Brown" <sol...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

MadMonk

Oct 4, 2004, 7:27:17 PM10/4/04

"Peter Brown" <sol...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> Not really, it seems to me that the source of the address is an old
pab file
> rather than the contact list that I've been using for the past 18
months. I

It's been a long time since I used Outlook '97, but it can't be all that
different so here's my 2¢ worth. Presuming that you're using either an
Exchange Server or have "Generate Exchange Views by Default" selected
for your folders, you should see a drop-down list in the upper right
corner of the Address book. Click the down arrow and select each entry
in turn until you find the one that contains your Contacts. I had a
similar problem and when I finally found this, I saw that I had two
entries named Contacts listed under Outlook Address Book. Only one of
them actually has my Contacts listed. The Windows .pab file is also
listed, but is empty.

--
HTH,
MM