Outlook express problem with .ods files from a backup

George Haynes

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

My PC crashed, I have reinstalled all applications and now everything is
working.

During the reinstall I had to install an updated version of outlook express,
this new version can not read my old mail files from my backup.

The old version was: 5.00.0810.800 the files are .ods format

The new version is V5.00.2919.660 the files are .mbx and .idx format.

I really need help on this one as I have a lot of work stored in these
files, what I would like to know is:

1) How can I read the .ods format files.
2) How can I incorporate the files into the newly installed version of
outlook express.

I have tried to import the files into the new version with the option:

File > Import > Messages

This works fine for the .idx & .mbx files but it doesn't recognise .ods as
mail files.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

PS if case of a reply take the nospam out of the email address.

--
George Haynes
GHA...@NospamAUTOVER.NL

Spider

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
You might have to go to the microsoft newsgroup on Outlook Express for this
one, and be prepared for being SOL. The .ods file is one large file that
contains all of your messages, newsgroups and settings in one big file. It
was used in the earlier Beta versions and you should have updated that a
long time ago. In order to recover those I think you needed to have the
Beta version running and update it and the setup would have ported your file
over to the new .dbx format. (BTW, your present OE is using .dbx, not .idx
and .mbx. those went by the wayside with version 4) The only way I can
think of to get those messages back would be to revert back to IE4 then
reinstall the Beta version that used the .ods format so you can then upgrade
to the current version of OE5 with a chance to recover those messages. As I
was typing this I got to thinking that another possibility would be to see
if OE4 might recover those messages for you. Back when they were running
OE5 in the .ods format I saw the danger in keeping everything in one file
and I dumped the Beta and reverted back to OE4. When I did, OE4 let me
import that .ods file back into it. That might be worth a shot, but if it
does not work, you'd have to try to reinstall the Beta version of OE5 and I
have no idea how you would get ahold of that. Good luck, I think your going
to need it.......

_|_
"George Haynes" <gha...@nospamautover.nl> wrote in message