How do I recover a lost draft email message

monty4u1

May 7, 2012, 5:48:16 PM5/7/12

I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?

I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.

How do I recover my draft message?

Thanks
Monty.

--
monty4u1

Marshal Hubs

May 8, 2012, 6:27:51 AM5/8/12
Hi Monty,
MS Outlook automatically store email message into draft folder. You can first go to the Deleted Items folder and search for your drafted email. In case if your draft mail is unavailable in the deleted folder then you can try to run the demo version of Stellar Phoenix Deleted Email Recovery Software and see the preview of recovered emails.

marshal_hubs

May 17, 2012, 1:11:01 AM5/17/12
Hi Monty,

I think your draft email messages is deleted when Outlook exited because
of error on another email. No worries! You can easily navigate to
Deleted Items folder and retrieve them back. But, if you hard deleted
them using shift + delete combination, Hard deleted mails cannot be
recovered from the 'Deleted Items' folder.

--
marshal_hubs

christa321

Jun 22, 2012, 10:23:29 PM6/22/12

Check your Deleted Items folder if you have not hard deleted your items.
If you have hard deleted your emails, use some third party deleted email
recovery tool. If you are using MS Exchange Server, you can ask your
server administrator for restoring your items from the retention
period.

thanks
Christina

--
christa321

adom...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2013, 12:53:31 PM10/24/13
On Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:41:01 AM UTC+5:30, marshal_hubs wrote:

> Hi Monty,
>

> I think your draft email messages is deleted when Outlook exited because of error on another email. No worries! You can easily navigate to Deleted Items folder and retrieve them back. But, if you hard deleted them using shift + delete combination, Hard deleted mails cannot be recovered from the 'Deleted Items' folder.

> --
> marshal_hubs

Whenever the situation is this, you may prefer exchange server recovery application that is potent enough to do recovery of entire data including permanent deleted emails.

Take A Tour:
http://www.pcvita.com/exchange-server-recovery.html

micke...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2013, 5:55:33 AM11/14/13
If you are using Microsoft Outlook with POP3 account and hard deleted important data by the mistake then Recover Outlook is the best solution for you. After using this automated program you can repair corrupt PST files as well as recover permanently deleted items from all mailbox folders like (inbox, draft, outbox and deleted items etc.) . Apart from recovery software provide option to split large sized PST file according to your selected size.

App Overview: http://www.securasecurity.org/tag/outlookrecoverytool/

gover...@gmail.com

May 3, 2014, 6:34:47 AM5/3/14
You'd have to use a forensic type software like Outlook Recovery Toolbox that can read whatever remains of the 'deleted' items in the .pst file. If you're getting new email in though, you may be overwriting the disk space that the deleted items were in.

or perhaps this may work: http://www.outlookrecovery.oemailrecovery.com

1.First, immediately make a safety copy of your Outlook pst file, using windows explorer, not Outook's export feature. Ask if you don't know how do do this.

2.There are several programs that are available as shareware but they cost $100 and up for the full versions. The cheap way to do this is to use Microsoft's scanpst program for corrupted PST files. The catch to this method is that you have to damage the file slightly to get it to work. You can read all about it here.

hubbubman

Oct 16, 2014, 10:57:06 PM10/16/14
It may be in your drafts folder but have "None" for a date, which sorts it differently than you would expect. Try looking in Drafts, but look towards the bottom if sorted by Newest first. Outlook seems to behave a little differently now because it doesn't assign a date to an email unless the email is sent. The drafts now seem like they disappear, but if you know the content you can search and find them. This is why.

simon.p...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2014, 10:18:45 PM11/30/14
Thats the one for me, the Draft folder works differently then before, it used automatically put a date there, but no it just puts None, and it drops to the bottom of the list.

Thanks

farh...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2015, 10:21:38 AM4/14/15
Thank you very veryyy much! i had worked on an entire strategy and thought i hard deleted the draft, which i was sure i hadn't. I looked through outlook extensively and could not find the draft. I then googled and read your comment and viola, it worked!!! Thank you again! :)

katt...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 12:19:34 AM4/16/15
Rajendhar

ivyle...@gmail.com

May 21, 2015, 10:57:50 AM5/21/15
I was in the middle of an email draft when my phone crashed. It is not anywhere at this time. Where do I recover it from?

romeroj...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2015, 2:26:51 AM6/15/15
I read a lot of threads to fix my email issue, this one had actually solved my problem!

Thanks!

daniyal...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2015, 5:33:53 AM7/24/15
Thank You Marshall You save my Day!

jason...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2015, 6:35:42 PM8/27/15
You are my hero. It is ridiculous that Outlook puts "None" in the date field in the drafts folder. If I hadn't found your post, I never would have found my email.

Thanks.

sandeep....@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2015, 6:46:08 PM9/2/15
For Hard Delete (Shift+Delete) The easiest way would be goto Outlook-> FOLDER-> Recover Deleted Items. You can sort out by date of delete to recover your mails.

~Sandeep Saksham
Message has been deleted

portl...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2015, 1:07:44 PM10/6/15
hi Monty my mail has crashed with message what shall i do ? Help !

girish...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2015, 8:27:23 AM12/6/15
hi discard my draft mail how to recover email project

yulia....@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2015, 6:06:37 AM12/14/15
понедельник, 1 декабря 2014 г., 9:18:45 UTC+6 пользователь simon.p...@gmail.com написал:
THANKS!!! I LOVE U!

barbw...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2016, 11:14:11 AM1/26/16
WAS WRITING ON FACEBOOK ,CALL CAME IN AND I ANSWERED THE PHONE . MY DRAFT LOST

m...@biomedanalytics.com

Feb 9, 2016, 1:29:31 AM2/9/16
Thank you! You saved me a lot of re-work! I'm very grateful.

Michael Milligan
West Layton, Utah

thenewstrugg...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2016, 7:17:27 AM2/12/16
On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 12:35:42 AM UTC+2, jason...@gmail.com wrote:
> You are my hero. It is ridiculous that Outlook puts "None" in the date field in the drafts folder. If I hadn't found your post, I never would have found my email.
>
> Thanks.

WOW same here. THANKS

Zephy...@hotmail.com

Jun 4, 2016, 9:29:13 AM6/4/16

Zephy...@hotmail.com

Jun 4, 2016, 9:34:35 AM6/4/16
On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 12:48:16 AM UTC+3, monty4u1 wrote:
Hi!

Outlook did almost exactly like that to my drafts! Outlook AUTOMATICALLY not only deleted about 45 drafts that where saved there, but also, i am 99% sure about this, they did not even went to the "deleted folder" either but instantly removed just like that!!

I sent email for support i guess to Microsoft through the Outlook site but no answer so far in about a week now!

calibre.ser...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2016, 6:05:08 AM7/13/16
Sandeep; you are a hero to me. I was using Outlook to type an emotional tribute to my poor departed mum (becasue I was going to email it to my siblings for proofing) when it crashed and didn't think I would have the strength to do it all gain. Your simple bit of advice has saved the day. Thank you.

gound...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 10:20:51 PM7/15/16
On opening an important saved draft, I must have inadvertently discarded it. Then a yellow tab gave me the option to click to "undo discard." Relieved, I clicked the "undo discard" and nothing happened. I searched, advance searched, everywhere. I never pressed delete or discard. Is there any way that I can retrieve this draft? Thank you for any help. I spent hours on the draft.

huo...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2016, 10:38:40 AM7/19/16
On Monday, May 7, 2012 at 5:48:16 PM UTC-4, monty4u1 wrote:
> I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
> later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
> Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?
>
> I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.
>
> How do I recover my draft message?
>
> Thanks
> Monty.
>

> --
> monty4u1

I had the same issue .. So I went to the website for it . Www.outlook.com and all of my lost drafts were safely stored there.

ooba...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 1:34:49 PM7/26/16

patsyw...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2016, 8:54:44 AM9/1/16
Lost draft

Richard Devid

Sep 22, 2016, 5:54:15 AM9/22/16
Outlook Email recovery software is a professional tool to recover deleted or lost Outlook data. The software repairs damaged PST file without any hassle. I would like to refer http://www.recoverytool.org/outlook-pst-recovery.html for safe and secure email recovery tool

rshind...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 6:04:00 AM9/29/16

how do i recover my message from draft which has been deleted mistakenly and a couple of days before... i want it back plzzz somebody tell me the solution for this..... the mail from trash has also been deleted what can be done???

formu...@hotmail.com

Oct 6, 2016, 2:16:55 AM10/6/16
WOW. Found mine in 'None' date sequence. You are wonderful. Thank you.

lou...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2016, 5:41:55 PM12/21/16
Just posting here For anyone else doing a search on this subject like I was when I randomly found the answer... here are three other options (note read further in this thread as there are a couple of other options):

1) https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-recover-outlook-e-mail
2) For those like me who's outlook crashed mid-draft... reopen and OLD draft was there not NEW changes (ahhh): Hopefully outlook told you "can't save... will save in current folder" then look in the header of that draft and you will see the words: "This is the most recen version, but you made changes to another copy. Clicke here to see the other versions." When I did that my NEW changes came up in TWO different emails about a minute apart from each as the changes go.
3) For those who lost an attachment... Find you temp folder and hopefully it's there: C:\Users\lorobin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\13N8K4SD (you can either google search on "where is my outlook OLK file" or you can open another attachment in your email somewhere and look at it's properties which should show you the path which is usually hidden so you'd need to copy and past the path without the file name... Side Note: a long time ago I simply added this folder to my Favorites bar in my Windows Explorer file manager so that I wouldn't have to keep searching for it... Great place to clean up stuff if you are running out of drive space for those with older computers).

chetan...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2016, 4:18:18 AM12/25/16

hpo...@cooperandhall.co.uk

Jan 4, 2017, 11:04:46 AM1/4/17
On Friday, October 17, 2014 at 3:57:06 AM UTC+1, hubbubman wrote:
> It may be in your drafts folder but have "None" for a date, which sorts it differently than you would expect. Try looking in Drafts, but look towards the bottom if sorted by Newest first. Outlook seems to behave a little differently now because it doesn't assign a date to an email unless the email is sent. The drafts now seem like they disappear, but if you know the content you can search and find them. This is why.

hubbubman, you little star! Just recovered an email one of my managers had spent 2 hours writing, saved as a draft but then thought they had lost. No date so it was filed randomly in the Drafts folder. Brownie points all round :)

satyam.hospi...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 1:26:09 AM1/24/17
Dt. 23 -1-2017. at 1pm

ptbo...@charter.net

Jun 16, 2017, 1:29:12 PM6/16/17
Lost fox email draft

james1...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2017, 7:00:51 AM6/24/17
I completed a very important draft email, saved it in archive (not sure) now I cannot find it. It took me ages to compose it, I need to send it, can you help please.
Kind regards

Colin Massey

sam.bur...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2017, 11:08:07 PM7/24/17
On Monday, 1 December 2014 13:18:45 UTC+10, simon.p...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thats the one for me, the Draft folder works differently then before, it used automatically put a date there, but no it just puts None, and it drops to the bottom of the list.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Friday, October 17, 2014 10:57:06 AM UTC+8, hubbubman wrote:
> > It may be in your drafts folder but have "None" for a date, which sorts it differently than you would expect. Try looking in Drafts, but look towards the bottom if sorted by Newest first. Outlook seems to behave a little differently now because it doesn't assign a date to an email unless the email is sent. The drafts now seem like they disappear, but if you know the content you can search and find them. This is why.
> >
> > On Monday, May 7, 2012 3:48:16 PM UTC-6, monty4u1 wrote:
> > > I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
> > >
> > > later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
> > >
> > > Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?
> > >

> > > I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.
> > >

> > > How do I recover my draft message?
> > >

> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Monty.
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > monty4u1

Simon- I've never posted on this before but needed to say a massive thanks!!!! I didn't look through all the recovery page as I expected the date I accidentally deleted the item to put it at the top. Found it in the middle after reading your post. Good things to come for you mate. thanks a million

nidhin...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2017, 4:52:06 AM7/25/17
if you have configured any mail application like, thunderbird or out look, it is possible.. if ou have configured Thunderbird, you can access it from thunnderbird application, what you have to do is, disconnect you internet connection, and access thunderbird application,
before syncing with your email.

swk...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2017, 12:46:31 AM8/14/17
On Monday, May 7, 2012 at 2:48:16 PM UTC-7, monty4u1 wrote:
> I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
> later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
> Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?
>
> I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.
>
> How do I recover my draft message?
>
> Thanks
> Monty.
>

> --
> monty4u1

mrobbi...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2017, 1:52:23 PM9/8/17
On Thursday, October 16, 2014 at 10:57:06 PM UTC-4, hubbubman wrote:
> It may be in your drafts folder but have "None" for a date, which sorts it differently than you would expect. Try looking in Drafts, but look towards the bottom if sorted by Newest first. Outlook seems to behave a little differently now because it doesn't assign a date to an email unless the email is sent. The drafts now seem like they disappear, but if you know the content you can search and find them. This is why.
>
> On Monday, May 7, 2012 3:48:16 PM UTC-6, monty4u1 wrote:
> > I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
> >
> > later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
> >
> > Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?
> >

> > I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.
> >

> > How do I recover my draft message?
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Monty.
> >

> > --
> >
> > monty4u1

This was so helpful. Thank you for this advice!!!! I just used it to recover an email I had spent 2 hours on. Thank goodness

york...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2017, 7:43:58 AM10/24/17
SAME HERE, For some reason outlook did not show the draft I needed in the draft folder. But following this advice I searched for 1 word that I knew was in the draft and bang!!... there it was..... This saved a half day tedious work (that i didn't want to do again).

I logged in just to say thanks and if someone else has this issue can find this solution!!!.. IT WORKED!! :D

eithanda...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2017, 10:09:26 AM12/15/17
lost my draft email on my phone :( please help me.

amitsh...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2018, 7:59:21 AM1/9/18
This thread saved me!

- Check deleted items/trash folder
- outlook search sucks, so searching for words didnt help
- Go to the bottom because the draft mail will not have a date... (ie, you wont find it with other deleted emails from today)

rdru...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2018, 3:10:48 AM2/2/18

b...@mattaponi.com

Feb 21, 2018, 11:29:15 AM2/21/18
This was the answer to my problem. I had been working on an email reply for over an hour and, all of a sudden, couldn't find it. But it was there near the bottom of all my drafts because it did not have a date assigned to it.
Thank you so much.

sysdata...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2018, 12:59:38 AM6/15/18
On Monday, May 7, 2012 at 2:48:16 PM UTC-7, monty4u1 wrote:
> I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
> later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
> Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?
>
> I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.
>
> How do I recover my draft message?
>
> Thanks
> Monty.
>

> --
> monty4u1

Simply check deleted items folder if your draft message is there then fine else you have to try third-party outlook email recovery software. For this I would suggest you SysData Outlook Recovery software. You can read more about it http://www.sysdatatools.com/outlook-pst-recovery.html

rohitr...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 8:58:16 AM7/31/18
OLK14 Message Recovery is the only Outlook Mac Database Recovery Tool in the market that works with the original OLK14 Message files in Outlook Mac instead of Exported OLM Archive files. Thus the recovery and conversion process is completely automatic and does not requires you to have tech skills like a Computer geek to follow through this really simple process.

Ref:- http://www.olk14messagerecovery.com/

rohitr...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 9:03:49 AM7/31/18
There are some traditional ways which people used to get their deleted or lost messages by using OLM repair tools. But Now there is a option, there is a latest recovery tool which helps you get the database directly! it's called OLK14 MESSAGE RECOVERY.

mohamma...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2018, 1:42:26 AM9/9/18

giles...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2019, 3:37:11 PM3/29/19
On Friday, 17 October 2014 15:57:06 UTC+13, hubbubman wrote:
> It may be in your drafts folder but have "None" for a date, which sorts it differently than you would expect. Try looking in Drafts, but look towards the bottom if sorted by Newest first. Outlook seems to behave a little differently now because it doesn't assign a date to an email unless the email is sent. The drafts now seem like they disappear, but if you know the content you can search and find them. This is why.

@hubbubman - 5 years on and this simple piece of advice saved my bacon. Many, many thanks!

mdarc...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2019, 4:00:30 PM9/18/19

bow...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2020, 10:24:39 AM4/17/20

Randy K

Jun 5, 2021, 8:13:42 PM6/5/21
On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 20:57:06 UTC-6, hubbubman wrote:
> It may be in your drafts folder but have "None" for a date, which sorts it differently than you would expect. Try looking in Drafts, but look towards the bottom if sorted by Newest first. Outlook seems to behave a little differently now because it doesn't assign a date to an email unless the email is sent. The drafts now seem like they disappear, but if you know the content you can search and find them. This is why.
Thanks so much. This saved me. I tried everything after spending 4 hrs compiling an email. and accidentally deleted it. Searched hotmail hi and low. tried to use recovery software. Gave up then tried again and found it in deleted items as none.

Tracy Miller

Oct 25, 2021, 3:26:40 AM10/25/21
It's so unfortunate that you have lose your emails from your email account. :(

Whenever, these type of problems occurred, then I would prefer to choose a third-party utility which lets you to recover your deleted items from mailbox folders. You can check out deleted items folders, if you found it there then its ok. Otherwise choose PST Recovery Software by EmailsGuru.

This will help you: https://www.emailsguru.com/pst/recovery/

alex kelly

Nov 20, 2021, 1:01:49 AM11/20/21
On Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 03:18:16 UTC+5:30, monty4u1 wrote:
> I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
> later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
> Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?
>
> I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.
>
> How do I recover my draft message?
>
> Thanks
> Monty.
>

> --
> monty4u1
hello
You can try this tool in future whenever you face any corruption in MS Outlook. The tool can save repaired PST file in other format as well.
https://www.outlookpstrecovery.emltopstutility.com

Thanks

Kendra Kirkham

Nov 20, 2021, 8:31:31 PM11/20/21
On Friday, October 17, 2014 at 3:57:06 AM UTC+1, hubbubman wrote:
> It may be in your drafts folder but have "None" for a date, which sorts it differently than you would expect. Try looking in Drafts, but look towards the bottom if sorted by Newest first. Outlook seems to behave a little differently now because it doesn't assign a date to an email unless the email is sent. The drafts now seem like they disappear, but if you know the content you can search and find them. This is why.
> On Monday, May 7, 2012 3:48:16 PM UTC-6, monty4u1 wrote:
> > I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
> >
> > later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
> >
> > Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?
> >

> > I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.
> >

> > How do I recover my draft message?
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Monty.
> >

> > --
> >
> > monty4u1
Excellent! I thought my long email that took me two hours to draft was gone and it WAS in Drafts near the bottom. Thank you

fazi jani

Apr 20, 2023, 1:35:39 PM4/20/23
> Excellent! I thought the long email that took me two hours to draft was gone and it WAS in Drafts near the bottom. Thank you
This article takes you through several answers to your ‘how to find network printer IP address’ question on various devices such as Mac, Windows, and Printers, and via various methods like Command prompt, CUPS, and more.

Brant County

Jul 13, 2023, 8:37:03 AM7/13/23
On Thursday, October 16, 2014 at 10:57:06 PM UTC-4, hubbubman wrote:
> It may be in your drafts folder but have "None" for a date, which sorts it differently than you would expect. Try looking in Drafts, but look towards the bottom if sorted by Newest first. Outlook seems to behave a little differently now because it doesn't assign a date to an email unless the email is sent. The drafts now seem like they disappear, but if you know the content you can search and find them. This is why.
> On Monday, May 7, 2012 3:48:16 PM UTC-6, monty4u1 wrote:
> > I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
> >
> > later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
> >
> > Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?
> >

> > I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.
> >

> > How do I recover my draft message?
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Monty.
> >

> > --
> >
> > monty4u1
Thank you for this. You saved me 20 minutes of my life :)

Nigel Young

Oct 25, 2023, 6:38:07 PM10/25/23
On Monday, 7 May 2012 at 22:48:16 UTC+1, monty4u1 wrote:
> I saved the draft over the course of a meeting 3 or 4 times and then
> later for some reason Outlook exited because of error on another email.
> Now when I restart outlook the draft is gone?
>
> I tried every possible solution.Went into the registry, temp, app data.
>
> How do I recover my draft message?
>
> Thanks
> Monty.
>

> --