Outlook 2003 problem (on Win10Home?)

tumppiw

Oct 4, 2022, 1:46:47 PM10/4/22
Friend of mine has a small problem in Outlook 2003..

I copied the *.pst files from old ProBook, installed Outlook 2003 on new
machine and copied the *.pst files to the same location they were in on
the old machine (c:\User\%Username%\Appdata\Microsoft\Outlook)

On his old machine (HP ProBook 470 G0) running Win7Pro, when he starts
to write a mail to someone, after the first or second letter there drops
down a list on addresses that he's used before. His address book is empty

Now on the new machine (hp laptop 17-cp0063no), the newly installed
Outlook 2003 (it works) does NOT give that same dropdown list of addresses.
The only thing it does, is put my address there, (tumppiw@,,,.com) when
starting recipient address with "tu" and hit enter.
If he starts with his own address (erkko..@..com) "er" that list gives
ONLY his address even thought there is also "erkki..@..com" in his
address book. Address book is ALMOST empty ( I addded a few of the
addresses i found on the old machine's Outlook 2003)

Anybody got any ideas??

TIA
TumppiW
(I'm not visiting him even weekly, so it might take while to get ideas
tested)

Translations or explanations not always good,
as I'm a swedish speaking Finn

Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland
Translation to/from FI/SWE not always accurate

tumppiw

Oct 4, 2022, 2:21:32 PM10/4/22
EDIT:
I actually copied the whole directory structure from old machine
c:\User\%Username%\Appdata\Microsoft\Outlook downwards
to the new machine.

VanguardLH

Oct 5, 2022, 5:47:35 AM10/5/22
I haven't used Outlook for about 3 years. When my MS Office (now called
MS 365) 5-year subscription ran out, I decided not to renew. I don't
have Outlook, especially not back to 2003, to check how the
Auto-Complete list is implemented, so I had to search online.

The addresses you mention is called the Auto-Complete list. See:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/contacts/information-about-the-outlook-autocomplete-list
https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/understanding-outlooks-autocomplete-cache-nk2/

As mentioned in that article, is the "Suggest names while completing To,
Cc, and Bcc fields" enabled? That won't restore the auto-complete cache
before, but, if you find it useful, you should enable it now.

Is there an .nk2 file in your old Outlook profile folder that you copied
to the new computer? Does it have permissions from your new Windows
account, not for your old Windows account?

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html

That lets you export the nickname file to another format, and maybe that
format can be imported in the new .nk2 file; however, I don't remember
there is an import function for the AutoComplete cache.

For a copy of the old .nk2 file that you saved on the new computer (in a
temp folder), you could use a hex editor to see if there are records
stored in there, or if it is blank. The hex editor should show both the
hex values of every byte along with the text characters. Check if you
can see some text that stores e-mail addresses. No point in migrating
an empty .nk2 file to the new computer.

https://portalvhds6gyn3khqwmgzd.blob.core.windows.net/files/NK2/NK2WithBinaryExample.pdf

That describe the binary structure of the .nk2 file.

I'm not sure just copying over the profile file will work. You got it
from one Windows account to copy on a different host under a different
Windows account. Even if you use the same username for the accounts on
the old and new computer, they are not equivalent or compatible
accounts. The SID (Security Identifier) and permissions will differ.
Probably the proper way to import the old profile is to copy the old
profile folder to a temp place on the new computer, and then use the
import functions of Outlook on the new computer.

https://itstillworks.com/completely-reset-google-chrome-15672.html
https://www.wintips.org/how-to-create-a-new-outlook-profile-and-import-outlook-pst/

Ammammata

Oct 7, 2022, 4:03:07 AM10/7/22
Il /05 Oct 2022/, *VanguardLH* ha scritto:

> The addresses you mention is called the Auto-Complete list. See:
>
> Is there an .nk2 file in your old Outlook profile folder that you
> copied to the new computer?

there is also this nice tool from nirsoft to manage the MRU data

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html

--

tumppiw

Dec 22, 2022, 9:43:30 AM12/22/22
Inline answer
Yes, it is enabled

> Is there an .nk2 file in your old Outlook profile folder that you copied
> to the new computer? Does it have permissions from your new Windows
> account, not for your old Windows account?

Haven't checked