Outlook 2007 RTM still slow

xzo...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2006, 4:13:09 PM11/13/06

I've installed Outlook 2007 with great expectations. Unfortunately,
there are performance issues that are pretty much rendering it useless
to me.

Just to note, I'm on a brand new Core 2 Duo T7400, XP sp2 install, so
it's not hardware or legacy XP junk slowing me down.

When I start Outlook, it takes ~30 seconds before I am able to perform
any action.

When email is being received, Outlook freezes. If I'm composing an
email at the time, I can no longer type. If I'm trying to view or
delete other email, no luck. I have 5 email accounts, so the freezing
is around 12-15 seconds every 2 minutes. If I'm receiving a file, the
freezing lasts longer.

Deleting more than a few items from my inbox often freezes things too.

Not to mention it's using 100MB of memory.

I heard that the Beta had similar problems, looks like it made it into
RTM. Does anyone know a fix (besides reinstalling oulook 2003).

Ales Susnik

Nov 13, 2006, 4:33:02 PM11/13/06
PST size?

Have same problems here.

I'm playing around at the moment with the fact that i reduced the size of
PST (archived things into another PST) from 6.4gb to 1,5gb... it looks like
it runs faster now... can't confirm yet...

Also, tried, Help, Office Diagnostics, that solved some speed issuses for
me, but again i'm not sure, cause the problem did return.

A.

Milhouse Van Houten

Nov 13, 2006, 4:34:38 PM11/13/06
Is this all while the new Windows Desktop Search is ongoing (is your disk
light solid red)? It sounds like it, since Outlook really isn't any slower
than it ever has been. What is slower in 2007 is rendering of complex HTML
mail, since they're off the IE engine now, so for things like complex
newsletters it's a matter of a couple extra seconds. I think you're looking
at indexing issues, which should settle down after a day or so.

<xzo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ales Susnik

Nov 13, 2006, 4:40:01 PM11/13/06
I disagree, I uninstalled WDS, the problem is when i'm receiving 50 emails,
all together no more then 2mb, you should see Outlook choke on this.

A.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 13, 2006, 5:18:43 PM11/13/06
I had some fun here with B2TR and my 6 GB Outlook PST last week (it was
a nightmare). Here are some things I learnt from that:
- Keep the PST size down. You can use AutoArchive or Archive to get
things out of your PST. I'd highly suggest to do that regularly. If you
have the need to move entire folders or large quantities of messages out
of your PST into another PST, do not use Import/Export. Instead, you'd
normally make a new PST and drag & drop folders over. Unfortunately that
is awfully slow. However, you can move large quantities simply by
running Archive into a newly created PST by limiting it to a folder.
That actually is fast.
- Compact the PST regularly. Just moving things out of the PST won't
reduce it in size.
- The most important thing I learnt though is that not the overall PST
size is a real performance issues, but rather the number of messages
within a PST/folder. See
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2005/03/14/395229.aspx (this is for
OST files, meaning when you use Outlook with an Exchange server, but it
seems to apply to PSTs as well). Quite frankly, reducing some of my
folders from 30,000 messages each to 2,000 or so did wonders for my
performance.

The usual stuff applies as well:
- Test it in safe mode (Start, Run, "outlook /safe"). If you don't
experience the issue then, then the problem is caused by an add-in.
- Switch off any anti-virus integration into Outlook or email. It's
plain unnecessary and just costs you performance.

I hope this helps!

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Ales Susnik" <AlesS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ales Susnik

Nov 13, 2006, 5:28:02 PM11/13/06
No OST here, just PST, OST would die with me and it's 2gb limit.

Your advice is great, thank you, it does confirm my logic and working
behaviour with Outlook till now, I do everything regulary, just not Auto
Archive... since searching can be a trouble.
Number of messages with me is way over 90.000... that might have been an
issue...

I will report back regarding my issue, for the sake of other users who might
run into this problem.

Again, thanks.
A.

xzo...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2006, 2:34:27 PM11/14/06
Just a followup, but no good news.

I've tried all suggestions, safe mode, etc. I don't run AV software,
and my pst file is 2.8GB, whch isn't too insanely big (I archived about
1GB of it yesterday). Full-on indexing completed long ago, so that
isn't the issue.

Still:
- slow startup (30 seconds)
- freezing for 2-10 seconds on send/receive. no other actions can be
performed on outlook when send/receive is happening.

I've noticed other "bad" behavior:
- other MS products "freeze" sometimes when a send/receive happens.
Even Visual Studio pauses on occassion, not allowing me to type.
- even notepad doesn't fire up instantly when a send/receive is
happening, as if waiting for the Outlook God to give it permission.

I suspect it's the built-in indexing thing --- ie as soon as an email
is received, Outlook tries to index it. But hey, can't that happen in
the _background_???

Come on microsoft, I'm dying over here. You're making my daily
computing experience painful, and actually hindering my programming
(using your products for that too I might add).

Maybe I'll just go back to using elm. <sigh> Open source is starting
look more and more attractive.

Ales Susnik

Nov 14, 2006, 4:49:02 PM11/14/06
One suggestion/idea... had exact problems... I archived up to 31.05.2006.
My amount of emails went from over 90.000 down to less then 5.000. I had
emails way back to 2003. Don't ask why.
Try to reduce the amount of emails (number of emails) in your PST... if that
helps.
Please if it ain't too much to ask, report back or via email
(al...@knowhow.si).

I'm suprised that not so many people have this problem... weird...

Thank you in advance.

A.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 15, 2006, 2:02:02 AM11/15/06
I asked around a bit.
Z:
What accounts do you have (Exchange, POP, IMAP)? How many of each?
How many RSS feeds/SharePoint sites do you subscribe to?

Apparently RSS feeds and SharePoint sites can have a dramatic impact on
send/receive performance.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Ales Susnik" <AlesS...@discusions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ales Susnik

Nov 15, 2006, 4:21:01 AM11/15/06
If I may reply also: 5 POP3, 0 RSS, 0 SharePoint.

A.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 15, 2006, 1:31:28 PM11/15/06
If you use Outlook for RSS feeds, there is something else you can try to
improve performance and lower the memory footprint.
Outlook asked you to sync the RSS feed list with the IE7 maintained
system feed list when you opened it for the first time. Unfortunately if
you selected to sync them, all the XML for all your feeds will be loaded
into memory and will be there at all times (this has to do with how IE7
handles this). If you have many feeds or some big ones, this can be a
serious issue.
If you don't use IE7 for RSS feeds, disable it right away.
If you use IE7 for RSS feeds, disable it and only enable it from time to
time to let the lists sync. Syncing btw means that only additions are
synced. If you remove a feed from Outlook or IE7, this is not reflected
in the other program.
You can change the setting with Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Options,
"Sync RSS Feeds to the Common Systems Feed List".

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"xzo...@gmail.com" <xzo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

spoo...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2006, 11:06:31 AM11/16/06
I've been using the final version of Outlook 2007 from MSDN for a few
days now, and I have to say, it's driving me crazy. I have just one POP
box set up, but about a 2GB pst file. It just crawls and takes up to 30
seconds to preview messages sometimes, and about every 30 to 45
seconds, my entire computer comes screeching to a halt, and can't do
anything.

I went through and disabled all add-ins that I could find, except for
Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging, and I don't have the desktop
search enabled either. I've got Norton Antivirus also disabled to no
avail.

I'm trying to archive some of my old messages now to see if that helps,
but it seems odd to me that it would slow down the entire computer, not
just Outlook. I have a Pentium 4 2.6GHz HT processor, 2.5GB of RAM and
plenty of disk space to spare, so I don't think it's a system resource
issue.

I never had these problems with Outlook 2003.

Any ideas?

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 16, 2006, 11:50:31 AM11/16/06
Read all the suggestions I posted in this thread.
You have only ONE POP account?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"spoo...@gmail.com" <spoo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

spoo...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2006, 1:05:07 PM11/16/06
Yeah, I've only got one POP account, I've tried running in Safe Mode,
Anti-virus disabled and defragging, and none of these have helped.

However, I've just finished archiving a bunch of messages, and seeing
some significant performance enhancement. I'll post back if I continue
to have problems, but it appears to have been an issue with the number
of messages or size of my .pst file.

Ales Susnik

Nov 16, 2006, 5:57:02 PM11/16/06
Message number... PST size doesn't matter i found out...

Went from 90.000 way down here, to get it working :-(

A.

Johnny

Nov 16, 2006, 8:59:01 PM11/16/06
You are not the only one. This is a problem that has existed since the early
Beta. I hoped it would be addressed in the Beta2 Refresh, but was not. Now,
i'm shocked to see it ended up in the RTM. Do a google search, you'll see
several people complaining about this.

I personally use Outlook on a daily basis, and since installing the OL2007
RTM, i can't get anything done. I've had to set SEND/RECEIVE interval to
every 30 minutes, down from the usual 2 minutes... like everyone here has
reported, my hard drive goes nuts when messages arrive. Deleting messages is
also a task. Switching folders can take up to a minute. It's like the product
is still in beta.

Disabling AV programs, etc won't help. Compacting the PST, defragging, etc
won't help either. I've read some people "improved" performance by archiving
a large chunk of their messages. I find this to be a lazy solution at best.
My PST size is 1.5GB... it's unacceptable to me to think that Outlook can not
handle a 1.5GB PST file, when the 2000, XP, and 2003 versions handled it just
fine.

I'm no Microsoft hater, but i can't believe they would leave this problem
unchecked.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 16, 2006, 9:10:02 PM11/16/06
See the other suggestions in this thread, especially the one related to
the number of message items.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Johnny" <Joh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ales Susnik

Nov 17, 2006, 12:49:01 AM11/17/06
Hopefuly someone from MS support will address this... since well I did tell
my co-worker NOT to upgrade his Outlook, since he has way over 100.000
messages... it will hog his machine... MS should address this as urgent, even
tho Outlook isn't shipping soon to ordinary people (non MSDN subscribers,
etc...) but this will sooner or later make a big boom.

A.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 17, 2006, 12:55:46 AM11/17/06
How would you like to see MS Support address this?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Ales Susnik" <AlesS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 17, 2006, 6:35:49 AM11/17/06
I have a few questions for everyone who has reported performance issues:
1. Do you only use POP accounts?
2. How many emails do you download at once?
3. Do you use rules that distribute the messages across multiple
folders? If yes, how many rules and how many folders are you
distributing things across?
4. If you switch off all rules, does the performance get better? (You
can distribute the messages afterwards from the Inbox by running the
rules over the Inbox).

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"xzo...@gmail.com" <xzo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I've installed Outlook 2007 with great expectations. Unfortunately,

Ales Susnik

Nov 17, 2006, 11:24:01 AM11/17/06
1. only POP3
2. from 5 to 250, doesn't matter
3. yes, 5 rules, 5 email accounts, each rule moves the email regarding from
which account it's arriving to it's folder
4. switching off doesn't help

Hope it helps.

A.

Johnny

Nov 17, 2006, 2:46:01 PM11/17/06
Patrick,
The problem is, all of our current configurations worked just fine before we
upgraded... if it worked in OL2003, it SHOULD work in OL2007. Reducing
messages is not a real solution. That's like telling someone using Word , who
is complaining about sluggish performance, to reduce the length of his
documents.

I'll answer your questions:

1. 4

2. When i had the program set to download messages every 2 minutes, i'd get
1-10 messages. Now that i had to reduce the download interval, i get 20-80
messages. Number of messages downloaded don't make a difference... if i
download ONE email, the program slows to a crawl and my hard drive goes nuts.
Downloading 80 messages only prolongs this SLOW process.

3. We have ONE rule to place messages in the JUNK mail folder. The rule
contains a handful of spam keywords. That's all. OL2007 also has a default
rule regarding categories, we unchecked it, and unchecked our JUNK rule...
made no difference.

The program is to blame here... i don't think this is something that can be
solved with a tweak. From what i've read on the net, you either have to live
with this, or go back to OL2003. Based on the fact Microsoft left this flaw
in the program throughout the beta process, i'd guess this is not even on
their radar.

Too bad...

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 17, 2006, 3:38:15 PM11/17/06
> The problem is, all of our current configurations worked just fine
before we
> upgraded... if it worked in OL2003, it SHOULD work in OL2007. Reducing
I am aware of what should be the case. As it should be plainly obvious
to anyone reading this thread, that is not the case however. I am trying
to help everyone find a way to live with Outlook 2007's performance and
at the same time collect information as to what things specifically
cause the performance issues for Microsoft. The more precisely I can
tell them what is going on, the better they can look into this.

Are all your POP accounts on the same server or on different servers?

> 2. When i had the program set to download messages every 2 minutes, i'd get
> 1-10 messages. Now that i had to reduce the download interval, i get 20-80
> messages. Number of messages downloaded don't make a difference... if i
> download ONE email, the program slows to a crawl and my hard drive goes nuts.
> Downloading 80 messages only prolongs this SLOW process.

Did you test downloading just one email? Small or big email? How long
does it take? How big is/are your PST(s)? How many items do you have in
your Inbox?

> 3. We have ONE rule to place messages in the JUNK mail folder. The rule
> contains a handful of spam keywords. That's all. OL2007 also has a default
> rule regarding categories, we unchecked it, and unchecked our JUNK rule...
> made no difference.

Thanks for checking!

max...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2006, 12:29:12 PM11/19/06

Johnny wrote:
> Patrick,
> The problem is, all of our current configurations worked just fine before we
> upgraded... if it worked in OL2003, it SHOULD work in OL2007. Reducing
> messages is not a real solution. That's like telling someone using Word , who
> is complaining about sluggish performance, to reduce the length of his
> documents.

I have to agree 100% on this. The performance is absolutely
intolerable, and, frankly, I'm shocked that this thread isnt flooded
with posts with comments on this.

My PST is large, yes. I have a lot of email, and Outlook 2003 has been
working fine. 2007 simply cannot cope, and waiting 30 seconds to open
an email, or watching the machine become unresponsive when downloading
3 emails (23kb total) is absolutely unacceptable.

In my case, mine is an upgraded installation. Perhaps a clean-install
would fix the issues? There must be a reason why nobody else is seeing
these problems?

Max.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 19, 2006, 1:15:53 PM11/19/06
> My PST is large, yes. I have a lot of email, and Outlook 2003 has been
How large? How many items do you have per folder?

> working fine. 2007 simply cannot cope, and waiting 30 seconds to open
> an email, or watching the machine become unresponsive when downloading
> 3 emails (23kb total) is absolutely unacceptable.

> In my case, mine is an upgraded installation. Perhaps a clean-install
> would fix the issues? There must be a reason why nobody else is seeing

I doubt it, but if you want to, you can try creating a new profile and
adding your current PST to it. That's as good as clean install.

> these problems?
It's currently available only via MSDN, TechNet and Volume license
downloads. That means, the current user base is skewed heavily towards
the people who use Exchange. I expect a lot more posts about performance
after the release to retail & oem at the end of January.

Johnny

Nov 19, 2006, 3:30:02 PM11/19/06
Max,
We did a clean install before, and the same problem. There's definitely a
flaw in the way Outlook reads and writes to the PST file. Move the PST file
back to an OL2003 machine and the problem goes away.

Patrick is right, the install base is sooo small, i don't think there are
enough people making noise about this. A lot of our corporate clients are
still running Outlook 2000, and given their typical slow adoption rate, I'd
guess the only people using this are the Technet and MSDN subscribers.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 19, 2006, 3:47:33 PM11/19/06
Johnny,

If you can pinpoint exact scenarios in which this happens, that would be
very helpful. E.g., does it have to do with rules, lots of emails
received, etc?

> Patrick is right, the install base is sooo small, i don't think there are
> enough people making noise about this. A lot of our corporate clients are
> still running Outlook 2000, and given their typical slow adoption rate, I'd
> guess the only people using this are the Technet and MSDN subscribers.

Plus some Volume License customers evaluating Office 2007 right now.

Patrick

max

Nov 19, 2006, 11:51:40 PM11/19/06

Johnny wrote:
> Max,
> We did a clean install before, and the same problem. There's definitely a
> flaw in the way Outlook reads and writes to the PST file. Move the PST file
> back to an OL2003 machine and the problem goes away.

Johnny thanks for saving me the time. I'll just have to revert back to
OL2003.

Just to clarify about my setup. I am a large email user. I receive
approximately 500-600 emails a day (in addition to Spam) - and many
attachments. I need to store emails for reference purposes and archive
regularly. I have hit 20gb limits on my personal pst and archive pst
several times, and have deleted emails to keep things sane.

OL2003 handles this perfectly. I do not use rules, and file everything
by hand (speedfiler on OL2003).

My man concern here is simply that I am doing something wrong. It seems
impossible that MS would RTM such a dog of a product. It makes no sense?

max

Nov 20, 2006, 10:32:08 PM11/20/06
Problems solved.

Here is what I did:

1. Uninstalled OL2007 and removed all possible traces of the app.
2. Clean installed OL2007 with its default PST location.
3. Copied my existing (19gb) PST to my secondary Partition (usually
D:/Outlook)
4. Opened OL2007 and pointed the PST to D/Outlook. Removed the pointed
to the C:/ standard location.

How I got here?

I had a fresh box with a clean install of WinXP sitting around. I
installed OL2007 on it and did the above steps, performance was FINE. I
figured it must have been something that OL2007 picked up in the
upgrade process from OL2003 which was slowing it down to a crawl.

Ive been running it for 12 hours now and performance is MUCH better.
Its not as fast as OL2003 but its 90+%. I would suggest that for
everyone having these issues to give it a go.

I repeat, its a 19gb PST, not my grandmothers 500meg pst with 200
emails :)

Do let me know if this helps or if any questions...

Max

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 21, 2006, 12:02:18 AM11/21/06
So you say a clean profile did it?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"max" <max...@gmail.com> wrote in message

max

Nov 21, 2006, 2:08:54 AM11/21/06
On Nov 21, 1:02 pm, "Patrick Schmid [MVP]" <pdsch...@nospam.mvps.org>
wrote:

> So you say a clean profile did it?
>
> Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]

To be honest I'm not sure what a 'clean profile' actually is, which is
why I detailed the steps as I did. One way or another, it seems to be
fine, I'll report back with updates.

I would like to know if this works for others?

Ales Susnik

Nov 21, 2006, 3:22:01 AM11/21/06
Questions:

for 1. - how did u clean all possible traces?

4. Have u tried moving PST back to C drive and see if the good performance
remains? Wondering if it has to do something with PST being od D drive, since
I don't have 2 drivers (laptop)... before I go uninstalling everything :-)

Thank you in advance,
Ales

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 21, 2006, 3:41:29 AM11/21/06
Please only try a new profile and nothing else. (Control Panel, Mail,
Profiles)
It would be very important to know whether a new profile alone does the
trick!

Thanks,

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

> I'll try this with my backup laptop, which my wife uses only for emails, has
> the same problems, and it was also upgraded from 2003.
>
> I'll report back!
>
> A.

KnightCrawler

Nov 21, 2006, 5:15:35 AM11/21/06

Same problems here:

Freezes when send/recieve.

Freezes when opening a message.

Freezes when deleting email.

I've tried everything to fix this, and have read this whole thread and
it was a problem in the beta and now appears to have made it into the
RTM which is just sad that Microsoft did not have a longer beta period.

It seems the only solution is to go back to Outlook 2003.

Steve

Nov 21, 2006, 8:40:56 AM11/21/06
xzo...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've installed Outlook 2007 with great expectations. Unfortunately,
> there are performance issues that are pretty much rendering it useless
> to me.
>
> Just to note, I'm on a brand new Core 2 Duo T7400, XP sp2 install, so
> it's not hardware or legacy XP junk slowing me down.
>
> When I start Outlook, it takes ~30 seconds before I am able to perform
> any action.
>
> When email is being received, Outlook freezes. If I'm composing an
> email at the time, I can no longer type. If I'm trying to view or
> delete other email, no luck. I have 5 email accounts, so the freezing
> is around 12-15 seconds every 2 minutes. If I'm receiving a file, the
> freezing lasts longer.
>
> Deleting more than a few items from my inbox often freezes things too.
>
> Not to mention it's using 100MB of memory.
>
> I heard that the Beta had similar problems, looks like it made it into
> RTM. Does anyone know a fix (besides reinstalling oulook 2003).

Same issues here: slow receive (machine basically stops doing anything
else), disk churn. I have about 8 pop accounts, 0 rss, 0 exchange.
Upgraded frrom OL2003. PST is about 760M, 2 archive files, 1.2G and
800M. PST on C drive (Dell 1750 laptop with 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2G RAM,
7200RPM drive). Also installed Desktop Search, now my whole system is
sluggish is all the time, and just stops when Outlook is doing its
thing.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 21, 2006, 11:47:29 AM11/21/06
Have you tried a new profile?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Steve" <thereals...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ales Susnik

Nov 21, 2006, 5:56:01 PM11/21/06
Patrick,

I tried... doesn't help :-(

Can't uninstall, reinstall during the week, I'll have to wait till weekend.

A.

SteveK

Nov 21, 2006, 8:00:15 PM11/21/06
Here is my story. Fresh install Vista RTM, Office 2007 RTM, new Dell PC
3.5GB ram, 3.20Ghz, 4MB PST. All done fresh, no upgrade, no importing, all
fresh and Outlook hangs on receiving email from POP (Cox) Sending is fine,
memory usage is fine, nothing wierd... I turned off the instant search
thinking that might be it, nothing...

All suggestions welcome..

"Ales Susnik" <AlesS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Johnny

Nov 21, 2006, 8:18:02 PM11/21/06
Steve,
You'll want to disable the Desktop Search (or uninstall it)... it crippled
one of our systems. In the beta process, we tried it and it would take over
the system... when we got hold of the RTM, we tried the desktop search on ONE
computer, and it killed it.

I should point out, on Vista the search is a little better... seems the
plumbing is better integrated in the OS. But the Send/Receive problem, along
with all the other OL2007 slow attributes we've all described still exist in
Vista as well!

Johnny

Nov 21, 2006, 8:22:01 PM11/21/06
SteveK,
Feel free to read the other posts, we're all in the same boat as you.

Some people reported success after archiving a large chunk of their
messages. They did not say if the problem went away, or if OL2007 simply went
from being unusable to somewhat usable.

If you are an Outlook power user like most of us here, downgrading back to
2003 would be teh best bet.

Steve

Nov 22, 2006, 8:49:49 AM11/22/06
Patrick -

Haven't tried that but it looks like other people have reported that it
doesn't really help. Is there a way to create a new PST file and
import everything (rules, sig's, data, etc.) into it? I'm wondering if
that could be the problem. I'm just about at the point of uninstalling
it and trying to go back to OL2003, this is actually unusable, and
Outlook manages everything about my business day.

Steve

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 22, 2006, 10:13:37 AM11/22/06
Steve,

You want to do it the other way around. Use File, Archive to move older
stuff into a new PST. If you want to move everything into a new PST,
also use File, Archive but with today's date :)
(Import/Export never worked reliably; using drag & drop to move folders
between two PSTs is really slow; archive is the fastest method to move
lots of stuff between two PSTs).

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Steve" <thereals...@gmail.com> wrote in message

max

Nov 22, 2006, 10:50:25 AM11/22/06
Update on my situation. Problems have returned (Ive changed nothing).
I'll be uninstalling this immediately.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 23, 2006, 1:35:33 PM11/23/06
Max, get the contig tool from Sysinternals (now part of the MS TechNet
site) and check how many fragments your PST has. Is it more than 1?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

> Max, thanks for reporting back, I was just about to do uninstall-reinstall,
> this way u saved me some work.
>
> Thanks,
> A.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 23, 2006, 1:37:14 PM11/23/06
You want to run Outlook in safe mode (start, run, "outlook /safe") and
see if the problem still persists. If it doesn't, then you have a
problem with one of your add-ins (meaning it isn't compatible with
2007). Disable them all and enable them one by one to see which causes
the CPU spike.
Your problem is for sure not the same as that of most of the posters in
this thread, as those posters all have big PST files (and the problems
stem from that size).

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"fslove" <fsl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am using Windows XP and my pst files is a mere 20MB and Outlook 2007 is
> running pitifully slow! It is extremely slow when I try to view eMails with
> HTML and a lot of graphics. I use Task Manager and it shows Outlook using
> 100% CPU and the whole system freezes why it tries showing the selected
> eMail. It seems to me that the main problem is in Outlooks inability to
> handle HTML eMails. If, as a earlier poster mentions is correct, that Outlook
> 2007 has stopped using Internet Explorer and has it's own proprietary viewer
> for HTML then this may be the culprit. The Outlook 2007 team seems to have
> done a pretty shoddy job of testing Outlook 2007 if this major flaw is still
> present. Outlook 2003 has NEVER come even close to using 100% CPU recourses
> and there's no reason Outlook 2007 should either.

fslove

Nov 24, 2006, 12:42:01 AM11/24/06
Patrick,

Thanks for the suggestion but it made no difference with Outlook 2007 still
running extremely slow and CPU resources at 100% when accessing HTML eMails.

KnightCrawler

Nov 24, 2006, 12:54:01 AM11/24/06
Tried all of the ideas here but none work. The problem is that Outlook
2007 is not working right and needs more work. I wish Microsoft had
taking more time to work on it instead of rushing it out the door. This
problem existed for me in all the betas and now into the RTM. I find it
strange that they did not know.

Going back to Outlook 2003 fixes the problem on even the biggest mail
stores so this is a bug with Outlook 2007.

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 24, 2006, 1:38:59 AM11/24/06
Can you give more information about your setup? What kind of HTML emails
(any particular ones, or just all)? When viewing them in the Reading
Pane or when opening them? For how long does it spike to 100%?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"fslove" <fsl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Stephen

Nov 24, 2006, 4:13:02 AM11/24/06
It's driving me crazy. Every spam that comes in freezes my computer.
2003 didn't do this.

"xzo...@gmail.com" wrote:

> I've installed Outlook 2007 with great expectations. Unfortunately,
> there are performance issues that are pretty much rendering it useless
> to me.
>
> Just to note, I'm on a brand new Core 2 Duo T7400, XP sp2 install, so
> it's not hardware or legacy XP junk slowing me down.
>
> When I start Outlook, it takes ~30 seconds before I am able to perform
> any action.
>
> When email is being received, Outlook freezes. If I'm composing an
> email at the time, I can no longer type. If I'm trying to view or
> delete other email, no luck. I have 5 email accounts, so the freezing
> is around 12-15 seconds every 2 minutes. If I'm receiving a file, the
> freezing lasts longer.
>
> Deleting more than a few items from my inbox often freezes things too.
>
> Not to mention it's using 100MB of memory.
>
> I heard that the Beta had similar problems, looks like it made it into
> RTM. Does anyone know a fix (besides reinstalling oulook 2003).

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 24, 2006, 11:28:00 AM11/24/06
Description of your setup and a detailed description of what happens
would be helpful!

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Stephen" <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

markje...@cwgsy.net

Nov 27, 2006, 3:20:33 PM11/27/06
I'm running Vista Ultimate and Outlook 2007 RTM on two machines both
3Ghz 1Gb Ram, on a clean partition.
Having archived most my emails, I'm running a 50Mb PST file and a
single POP account, no RSS feeds or sync. For antivirus I'm running
Avast!

The PST is on a local drive for one of the machine and the other
accesses it through a network share.

The problem is the impossibly slow receive from the single POP3
account, even with less than 20Kb to receive, it slows down until it
stops. The machine accessing the PST via the network had the problem
straight away, but now the local machine has developed the problem
after a week of slow (but successful) email downloads.

Safe mode, anti-virus settings etc don't seem to make any difference.

So far Outlook 2007 and Win XP Pro (same machines different partition)
are not having the problem and accessing the same PST file.

Any suggestions welcome - otherwise back to 2003.

Mark

tmiller9833

Nov 27, 2006, 6:34:51 PM11/27/06
Clean / new Vista RTM, new Office 2007 RTM full install. Exchange 2003
SP2 - fully patched. No migrations of any kind. NAI AV installed but
not integrated with Outlook. OST is almost 5 gig, performance is
significantly beneath Outlook 2003 on same mailbox. Using only the
Exchange account. System is a Pentium M 1.86 with 1.5GB ram. Disk
scores a 4.3, processor scores 3.8, RAM scores 4.3 in Vista
Performance.

Not deployable in this state to my users.

-trevor

On Nov 24, 11:28 am, "Patrick Schmid [MVP]" <pdsch...@nospam.mvps.org>
wrote:

> Description of your setup and a detailed description of what happens
> would be helpful!
>
> Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
> --------------http://pschmid.net
> ***

> Office 2007RTMIssues:http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80

> Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
> ***
> Customize Office 2007:http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
> OneNote 2007:http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
> ***
> Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog:http://pschmid.net/blog/feed
>

> "Stephen" <Step...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:568E7D4C-0922-40A6...@microsoft.com:

> > It's driving me crazy. Every spam that comes in freezes my computer.
> > 2003 didn't do this.
>
> > "xzo...@gmail.com" wrote:
>

> > > I've installedOutlook2007 with great expectations. Unfortunately,

> > > there are performance issues that are pretty much rendering it useless
> > > to me.
>
> > > Just to note, I'm on a brand new Core 2 Duo T7400, XP sp2 install, so
> > > it's not hardware or legacy XP junk slowing me down.
>

> > > When I startOutlook, it takes ~30 seconds before I am able to perform
> > > any action.
>
> > > When email is being received,Outlookfreezes. If I'm composing an

> > > email at the time, I can no longer type. If I'm trying to view or
> > > delete other email, no luck. I have 5 email accounts, so the freezing
> > > is around 12-15 seconds every 2 minutes. If I'm receiving a file, the
> > > freezing lasts longer.
>
> > > Deleting more than a few items from my inbox often freezes things too.
>
> > > Not to mention it's using 100MB of memory.
>
> > > I heard that the Beta had similar problems, looks like it made it into
> > >RTM. Does anyone know a fix (besides reinstalling oulook 2003).
>

> > > Z- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Nospam

Nov 27, 2006, 8:43:21 PM11/27/06
All,

With so may issues being reported about Outlook 2007 RTM by multiple users
across multiple configurations with similiar symptoms (and I personally
having to disable every COM add-on to get Outlook 2007 RTM to perform), I
think it's well time for the MVP's to present these issues to the Microsoft
Outlook Management team and tell them to fix the product. Understand the
product has significant issues which need to be addressed and not blown off
or put to the side. Just get it done.

My 2 cents on this.

Nospam

"tmiller9833" <tmill...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 27, 2006, 9:15:57 PM11/27/06
Hi Mark,

Can you send me an email (you can get my email address from my website)
please? I'd like to collect some data directly from you about this
issue.

Thanks!

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"markje...@cwgsy.net" <markje...@cwgsy.net> wrote in message

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 27, 2006, 9:17:45 PM11/27/06
If you go into safe mode, do you still have the performance issue?
(Start, Run, "Outlook /safe")
If yes, can you describe the performance issue (while in safe mode) in
more detail. Meaning, where do you exactly experience it, how bad is it,
etc?

Thanks,

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80

Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Nov 27, 2006, 9:18:20 PM11/27/06
> With so may issues being reported about Outlook 2007 RTM by multiple
users
> across multiple configurations with similiar symptoms (and I personally
> having to disable every COM add-on to get Outlook 2007 RTM to perform), I
COM add-ins causing trouble is *NOT* a problem with Outlook 2007. It is
simply a sign that the particular add-in in question is not compatible
with 2007. You should direct all complaints about a particular add-in
not working with 2007 to the author of it.

> think it's well time for the MVP's to present these issues to the Microsoft
> Outlook Management team and tell them to fix the product. Understand the
> product has significant issues which need to be addressed and not blown off
> or put to the side. Just get it done.

Quite frankly though, I don't really know what to tell them, except that
it is slow which isn't very helpful (it doesn't help diagnose the
problem at all). From this thread, there seem to be two major
performance issues that are somewhat related:
1) POP3 seems to be having trouble when downloading messages. This gets
aggravated by a large PST, but there have been some reports of users
having issues with very small (a few tens of MBs) PSTs as well.
2) Large PSTs/OSTs seem to be causing performance issues in general. The
number of items seems per folder seems to be more an issue than the
actual PST size.

To help getting a better understanding and hopefully collect some real
data for MS, I'd like to take a look at 1) first. That seems to be
easier to collect data for than 2). For 2), I am not really sure what
data to collect right now.
Please email me (you can get my email from my website), if and only if
- you have a small PST (<100 MB)
- it takes very long to receive a small amount of emails. E.g. a total
of less than 100 KB of emails takes several minutes to download. Outlook
might even freeze or hang completely during it.
- you have the same problem in safe mode (start, run, "outlook /safe")
- you have disabled AV integration
- Outlook 2003 had a noticeably better performance than 2007 on the same
computer
If your situation doesn't fulfill *ALL* those criteria, please DO NOT
email me. I am trying to get some hard data for 1) only right now.

Please keep reporting your performance issues here, hopefully all in
this thread.

Thanks,

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80

tmiller9833

Nov 28, 2006, 10:26:12 AM11/28/06
In safe mode:

Time to open application: ~40 seconds
HDD full out after open: ~2 minutes
Outlook.exe pulling 3-10% CPU and ~17meg RAM
Time to open item: ~2 seconds
Time to reply to item: ~5 seconds
Time to swtich folders: ~2 seconds

Performance overall better in safe mode but still worse than 2003.
Currently no 3rd party add-ins installed, clean Vista system with
Office full install. FYI: OST size 4.48gig.

-trevor

Ales Susnik

Dec 3, 2006, 5:07:00 AM12/3/06
Any update to this problem... anyone?

A.

Vijay

Dec 3, 2006, 9:13:28 AM12/3/06
You can try the Office 07 trial version and check if that works or not and
this is link to download trial http://us20.trymicrosoftoffice.com/
--
Vijay
Sites that I would recommend