Auto complete addressess missing

1 view

acc

Feb 9, 2009, 12:23:19 PM2/9/09

Every few months it seems my auto compete address list comes up blank. To
the best of my knowledge I am not purging the file contents or deleting the
nk2 file. Does any know;

Of a setting that would purge or delete this file automatically?
If a backup of the file is maintained?
A way to rebuild the file, short of sending everyone a email?
Could it have something to do with the Exchange server when picking up mail?

Thanks
ACC

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Feb 9, 2009, 4:49:39 PM2/9/09
A cursory reading of the group will tell you that autocompletion is not a
robust or reliable feature. Outlook profiles often lose their connection to
the autocompletion cache. You'll have to create a new profile to correct it
then reconnect the cache to that profile by naming it to match the new
profile name. More details here:
http://www.ingressor.com/autocompletetips.htm
Microsoft appears to be unable to make this feature work reliably.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"acc" <adam_c...@decco.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

Amedee Van Gasse

Feb 10, 2009, 4:32:37 AM2/10/09

Just an hour ago I used the following procedure to rebuild the nk2
file (with success):

* download Nk2view (google it!)
* export all addresses to csv with Nk2view
* close Outlook
* delete the corrupted nk2 file
* open Outlook
* make a new folder in the address book called nk2
* import the csv into the nk2 address book and map fields as needed (I
only mapped name and email address)
* put Outlook in offline mode and disable send/receive (to prevent
accidents)
* open a new mail, and put every address from the nk2 address book in
the TO-field (click on first address, hold shift, click on last
address)
* click on the "check names" button
* close the email, don't send
* enable send/receive and go back to online mode
* close Outlook
* check with explorer that a new nk2 is created
* start Outlook
* check if the autocomplete works
* document the procedure, publish a faq on your company intranet, and
search on the web for similar problems
* find a similar incident on m.p.o.g and write a reply, describing how
you solved it. ;-)

--
Amedee