Outlook Error Message - Corel Address Book

Joe@discussions.microsoft.com Nuclear Joe

Feb 2, 2008, 7:12:00 PM2/2/08
Since updating to Vista, I get an error message whenever I open Microsoft
Outlook. The Corel Address Book error message states:

Database Engine Exception
Category: 37
Code: 1
Error: Insufficient memory for this operation

I have reloaded and repaired Office in numerous ways and still the message
occurs.

How do I make this go away?

F.H. Muffman

Feb 2, 2008, 7:23:35 PM2/2/08

Uninstall the Corel Address Book?

--
-f.h.

Nuclear Joe

Feb 2, 2008, 9:44:01 PM2/2/08
There are no Corel or Borland address books or databases.

F.H. Muffman

Feb 2, 2008, 9:53:01 PM2/2/08
>>> Since updating to Vista, I get an error message whenever I open
>>> Microsoft Outlook. The Corel Address Book error message states:
>>>
>>> Database Engine Exception
>>> Category: 37
>>> Code: 1
>>> Error: Insufficient memory for this operation
>>> I have reloaded and repaired Office in numerous ways and still the
>>> message occurs.
>>> How do I make this go away?
>>>
>> Uninstall the Corel Address Book?
>
> There are no Corel or Borland address books or databases.

Tools - Options - Other - Advanced - Add-ins, iirc, should have the list
of add-ins, and one of them will be the Corel Address Book. Uncheck it.
--
-f.h.

Nuclear Joe

Feb 3, 2008, 9:59:00 AM2/3/08
I thought further about your earlier note and removed Corel WordPerfect 8
Suite. That did the trick. Like there was some address book or databases
embedded in that software which conflicted with Outlook (2003 and 2007) and
Vista.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

cdl

Feb 22, 2008, 12:35:02 PM2/22/08

I have been using Windows Mail, running Vista Home Premium, but just
upgraded to MS 2007 with Outlook 2007. Every time I open Outlook, I get a
message that "Borland Database Engine not installed. Can't load Corel
Address Book Service Provider." I have tried about everything. I have WP
Suite. I uninstalled it and didn't get the error message anymore but I need
WP because I still use it some. I tried installing just the WP work
processing program but the error message pops up again. Any suggestion for
getting rid of the error message? I don't use Corel Address book but I do us
WP word processing. Thanks.

Brian Tillman

Feb 22, 2008, 4:53:27 PM2/22/08
cdl <c...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have been using Windows Mail, running Vista Home Premium, but just
> upgraded to MS 2007 with Outlook 2007. Every time I open Outlook, I
> get a message that "Borland Database Engine not installed. Can't
> load Corel Address Book Service Provider." I have tried about
> everything. I have WP Suite. I uninstalled it and didn't get the
> error message anymore but I need WP because I still use it some. I
> tried installing just the WP work processing program but the error
> message pops up again. Any suggestion for getting rid of the error
> message? I don't use Corel Address book but I do us WP word
> processing. Thanks.

In Internet Explorer, click Tools>Internet Options>Programs. What do you
see in the "Contact List" drop-down?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Jun 19, 2009, 11:21:39 PM6/19/09
Did you look in tools, account settings, address book tab? if the corel
address book listed? If so, delete it.
Did you migrate the profile from another system? if so, find and delete the
extend.dat file. (find and delete it regardless - but migrating profiles
using windows easy transfer often causes issues like this)

See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm if you need help
finding extend.dat.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:dailytips-sub...@lists.outlooktips.net

mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Photoesq" <Phot...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem and have tried everything suggested here, as well
> as
> changing the registry entries that was mentioned in another port that I
> can't
> find now. I uninstalled Corel MediaOne and Corel WordPerfect X4 and am
> still
> unable to open Outlook 2007. Had I known that it might not work with the
> Corel and Vista combo, I wouldn't have bought it. I haven't tried
> re-installing Office 2007 (Small Business Edition) yet. However, with the
> speed of my computer, that is going to take a lot of time. Of course, I
> have
> never used a Corel Address Book. Also, I didn't find corel anywhere in
> windows explorer tools, options, etc. I suspect that there is still
> something in the registry that it is making it go somewhere it shouldn't.
> Finally, I installed BDE Express for Vista because I heard that that might
> solve the problem but it didn't. Any suggestions?

Photoesq

Photoesq

Jun 20, 2009, 12:00:01 AM6/20/09
Do you mean look in "tools, account, etc." in Outlook 2007? If so, the
problem is that I cannot open Outlook 2007 to look there. How do I locate
the extend.dat file? Thanks.

Photoesq

Jun 20, 2009, 1:56:01 AM6/20/09
I reinstalled Office 2007 after uninstalling Coral WordPerfect x4 and Media
One. It still doesn't work but I got a different error message. Something
about Corel Address Book and not having a file in an IDAPI directory in the
registry. Do you know what this means and how I can fix it? Thank you.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Jun 20, 2009, 9:26:43 AM6/20/09
I don't know what that means. If you can't open outlook, you can get into
the account settings through the control panel, mail.

As I mentioned previously, if you need help finding extend.dat, see
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm - it has the file paths.
It's in with the psts - at
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

If you use the corel programs reinstall them. Make sure outlook isn't
looking for the address book in the profile (control panel, mail).

According to google, this is the fix for the new error:
"Go to control panel/mail icon. Click on e-mail accounts. Under Directory
click on view or change existing directories or address books. Higlight
Corel 8 Address Book and remove. Fixed my problem. Good Luck."
I'm pretty sure that is the fix for the old error too.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:dailytips-sub...@lists.outlooktips.net

mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

"Photoesq" <Phot...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Photoesq

Jun 20, 2009, 2:18:01 PM6/20/09
Thanks. I got it to work by going through the control panel. However, when
I configured 2007, it didn't bring over all my email that I had in 2003. It
only went to my server to get my new email. Is there any way to get the
email folders from Outlook 2003 and import them into 2007 so that I have them
all in Outlook 2007? Thanks for your help.

Nuclear Joe

Jul 17, 2009, 2:12:01 AM7/17/09

I ended up by saving the outlook.pst and related files and backing up all the
important files on my hard drive. THEN, I reformatted the drive and reloaded
Office and the other important programs. I then imported my old outlook.pst
and the problem was solved.

I have found sometimes when you run into registry and related problems as
these, after 2 years reformatting is the way to go. Takes about 12-24 hours,
but it works. The drive works better, computer is faster and I'm generally
happier.

Gordon

Jul 17, 2009, 3:04:42 AM7/17/09

"Nuclear Joe" <Nucle...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I ended up by saving the outlook.pst and related files and backing up all
> the
> important files on my hard drive. THEN, I reformatted the drive and
> reloaded
> Office and the other important programs. I then imported my old
> outlook.pst

Just so as you do not get a surprise - importing a pst file is NOT
recommended (as posted on the Outlook groups at LEAST once a day), and you
may well find that you suddenly have different problems caused by the
import.

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1. Custom Forms
2. Custom Views
3. Connections between contacts and activities
4. Received dates on mail
5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6. Journal connections
7. Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.

See here on the correct way to re-connect your Outlook data for future use:
How to backup and restore Outlook

http://www.howto-outlook.com:80/howto/backupandrestore.htm