32-bit SCOM to 64-bit SCOM

janet

Aug 20, 2008, 12:40:04 PM8/20/08
Currently we are running SCOM 32bit software, database is SQL 2005 32-bit and
it is very sluggish, my powershell scripts time out. We are wanting to go to
SCOM 64 bit with a SQL 64 bit database, without taking down to current SCOM.
Can I first move the database to a 64 bit database and have SCOM 32 bit still
work and then bring in a new SCOM 64 Manager Server in the same SCOM
enviroment?

Starr Parker, MSFT

Aug 20, 2008, 11:54:31 PM8/20/08
Janet,

(I tried to send a previous response but suspect it did not come through)

You should not have any problem moving these component roles to 64-bit
architecture.

Moving the databases is basically SQL functionality - you should follow the
procedures for moving the OpsMgr databases as listed in the Operations Guide
on TechNet (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc540359.aspx) - the
disaster recovery scenarios (of which moving the databases are included) are
listed towards the end of the doc under the "Maintenance and Best
Practices..." section under the "Updates to <your> Deployment" page.

"Moving" the RMS role amounts to installing a new Mgmt Server on a 64-bit
architecture machine and then "promoting" that new Mgmt Server to the RMS
role, thereby demoting the old (32-bit) RMS to the role of a secondary Mgmt
Server. This is covered in that same section of the Operations Guide -
entitled "How to Promote a Management Server to a Root Management Server
Role in Operations Manager 2007".

Please don't hesitate to ask me if you have questions or discover any
issues.

Thanks,
--
Starr Parker, MSFT
"janet" <ja...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

W eS

Apr 14, 2011, 5:14:04 AM4/14/11
So how to undestand the sentence:
"Operations Manager 2007 does not support a 32-bit Operations Manager Operations database, Reporting Server data warehouse, or Audit Collection database on a 64-bit operating system."
From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd819933.aspx

Thanks