new PC has only Office 2010 (or Office 2007) but i need to install the Office2003 PIA’s! How can i do this?

Howard Schmaeu

Aug 2, 2010, 10:39:52 AM8/2/10
I wrote a Outlook2003 Add-In. Usually all the Systems in our Office
comes with Office2003. But recently we also got some new Systems with
Office2007 and also Office 2010.

On the pure Office2003 System all things works fine.
Also in this case:
- i have an 2003 System and install the 2003 PIA's
- then i install my Add-In
- now i can Update to Office2007 or 2010 and all works fine.

But on a new Systems with only Office 2007 or 2010 i can't install the
2003 PIA's.

Any Ideas?

Howard

Ken Slovak

Aug 2, 2010, 1:18:10 PM8/2/10
Install the Outlook 2007 or 2010 PIA's, as appropriate. Actually, MS has not
yet released the redistributable PIA package for Office 2010 yet, so that
would have to be installed by the user.

If this is for internal use in your company have the rollout include
installation of the Office and Outlook PIA's when Office is installed.

Otherwise you would need to use prerequisite checks for what's installed and
what PIA package needs installation.

As you haven't mentioned anything about the installer that's about all the
advice anyone can provide.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Howard Schmaeu" <pnkj...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Howard Schmaeu

Aug 2, 2010, 3:11:53 PM8/2/10
Either I haven't understand YOU or YOU haven't understand ME... :-)

I didn't need the new (2007/2010) PIA's because i have a 2003 AddIn
and i would not create it new.
If i Install the AddIn on a System that has a Office 2007 and the 2007
PIA i get a Runtime Error because it's the wrong PIA.

But I can use a PC with Office2003...Install all what i need (2003 PIA
and my AddIn) and then i can Upgrade this to Office 2007 or 2010
WITHOUT the corresponding PIA's and also all works fine!!!

But this Configuration i can't create if the Office 2003 was never
installed in the System because it's new (has installed Office
2007/2010 if i buy this)

Did you know what i mean??

Howard

Ken Slovak

Aug 2, 2010, 6:45:05 PM8/2/10
I knew what you meant.

If the Outlook 2003 PIAs are installed in the GAC on a system with Outlook
2007 or 2010 and the correct PIA's aren't installed that is not a good or
recommended configuration. It's also not one you can rely on. Some correctly
set up addin may come along and install the correct PIA so its code can
work.

My answer stands.

Most of my addins these days are written referencing Outlook 2003 and are
intended to support 2003 - 2010. I have bootstrapper checks in setup.exe in
installers for those addins that check for and install the correct PIAs in
the GAC. At the moment if the PIAs aren't installed for 2010 the installer
fails, as MS hasn't released the redistributable PIAs yet.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Howard Schmaeu" <vevomeva...@tempomail.fr> wrote in message

Howard Schmaeu

Aug 3, 2010, 3:00:47 AM8/3/10
Okay i see....that means i have to change my Setup that teh correct
PIAs are installed...but what is with the References in my AddIn??
They point to the 2003 PIAs...did i have a new AddIn with the New
Refrences??

OMG :-(

Howard

Ken Slovak

Aug 3, 2010, 9:21:55 AM8/3/10
The PIAs are forward compatible. So if you reference the Outlook 2003 PIAs
the code will work on 2007 and 2010. Of course you can't use any
methods/properties/events added in later versions, except by using
reflection to get at properties/methods added later if you discover an
appropriate version at runtime.

In case you need to use any ribbon UI even with the Outlook 2003 PIA there
are 2 methods I know of to do that.

There's a tlb extraction of the original ribbon (2007) interfaces called
XLIRibbonExtensibility that was done by an Excel MVP friend, Dennis
Wallentin (XL-Dennis) that can be used in managed code. This is a link to
Dennis's series of blog articles:
http://xldennis.wordpress.com/2006/12/22/using-iribbonextensibilitys-type-library-with-com-add-ins/

There is also a set of ComImports listed by Andrew Whitechapel, who used to
be on the VSTO team, for the original ribbon that can be used in managed
code as an alternative to Dennis's tlb. I use that myself for managed code
and have extended it to include declarations for the new ribbon interfaces
added in Office 2010. This is a link to Andrew's blog articles:

Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Howard Schmaeu" <vevomeva...@tempomail.fr> wrote in message

Howard Schmaeu

Aug 4, 2010, 2:57:01 AM8/4/10
THX for your really detailed Answer... i'll try that

Howard