MS Office 2007 PowerPoint won't group tables + lines + equations

1 view

Jonathan Williams

Oct 21, 2014, 11:59:22 PM10/21/14

I'm using MS Office 2007 Powerpoint 2007, and, for some reason, I just
can't GROUP a set containing (a) text + (b) a table + (c) lines.

I'm creating a quiz for algebra 2, and it's driving me crazy that
the GROUPING is not working with Powerpoint.

Here is the file "20141021_quadratic_fcts_in_vertex_form_quiz3.pptx".
http://www.filedropper.com/20141021quadraticfctsinvertexformquiz3

NOTE: This is a Microsoft Office 2007 Powerpoint PPTX file.
If you prefer a non-powerpoint file, here is the PDF of that PPTX file:
"20141021_quadratic_fcts_in_vertex_form_quiz3.pdf"
http://www.filedropper.com/20141021quadraticfctsinvertexformquiz3_1

In the quiz, you'll notice 4 similar sets of graphs.
For any one of the 4 sets, all I want to do is group the items.
But, PowerPoint will select them, but the group button is grayed out!
Why can't I group them?
I can select all these objects, but they won't group.

Why not?

NG:
alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint,microsoft.public.office
Title: MS Office 2007 PowerPoint won't group tables + lines + equations

Paul

Oct 22, 2014, 12:56:34 AM10/22/14
I opened it in LibreOffice (Spreadsheet tool) and the gridded area
goes off the bottom of the page. Is that important ? Well, some
tools freak out if content goes off an edge.

You could try copying the file, then changing the page size so all the content
fits. Or, start a new document, with a larger page size, select all
the content from the suspect document, and copy it over to the new
document. See if the behavior is different or not.

*******

This support page, near the bottom, doesn't admit to many limitations.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Group-or-ungroup-shapes-pictures-or-other-objects-a7374c35-20fe-4e0a-9637-7de7d844724b

*******

(posted from the Windows 7 group)

Paul

Jonathan Williams

Oct 22, 2014, 1:31:12 AM10/22/14
Paul wrote, on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:56:34 -0400:

> I opened it in LibreOffice (Spreadsheet tool) and the gridded area goes
> off the bottom of the page. Is that important ? Well, some tools freak
> out if content goes off an edge.

Thanks for trying. I opened it in LibreOffice and it was screwed up also.
But, the PDF should show what it is SUPPOSED to look like.

> You could try copying the file, then changing the page size so all the
> content fits. Or, start a new document, with a larger page size, select
> all the content from the suspect document, and copy it over to the new
> document. See if the behavior is different or not.

Actually, it's only screwed up in LibreOffice.
It shows up fine in Microsoft Powerpoint 2007.

The problem is that I can select *some* stuff (like the graph x and y
axis, for example), but I can't select those axises and the table itself
at the same time.

So, I wanted to know if anyone else could, or if I was doing something
wrong.

Jonathan Williams

Oct 22, 2014, 1:33:14 AM10/22/14
Jonathan Williams wrote, on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 05:31:11 +0000:

> The problem is that I can select *some* stuff (like the graph x and y
> axis, for example), but I can't select those axises and the table itself
> at the same time.

Actually, I should clarify that I can SELECT all of them, but, I can't
get the group button to show up.

If I select, for example, just the x and y axis, then I can group them.
But, if I then try to select the table, in addition to the (now grouped)
x and y axis, the "group" button is grayed out.

It's sooo frustrating.

All I want to do is group the objects together and Powerpoint 2007 won't
let me.

Does anyone else have this problem with PowerPoint 2007 on the file I
provided?