autodiscover.xml and TLS

Toby

Apr 24, 2007, 5:04:08 PM4/24/07
I'm in the process of setting up auto-discovery of mail server settings for
Outlook 2007. I have a whole slew of users who connect to a non-Exchange IMAP
backend using Outlook, and the new autodiscover.xml would really simplify the
setup of new clients.

I have almost everything working except that there's nowhere I can find in
autodiscover.xml that lets me specify the connection security requirements.
All our IMAP and SMTP servers require TLS, and this can be enabled in Outlook
2007 via the Account Settings Advanced tab.

Problem is that I can't find anywhere in autodiscover.xml to turn this on.
Without it, all the settings are coming through beautifully except the TLS,
so the connection ultimately fails.

The best reference of the elements for autodiscover.xml that I can find is
here:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb204153.aspx

Any one managed to get this working with TLS secured IMAP and/or SMTP?

Thanks,
Toby.

the.e...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2012, 2:29:03 PM9/13/12
For the benefit of everyone else searching for this:

There is a secret feature of the autodiscover.xml file. Remove <SSL>on</SSL> and replace it with <Encryption>TLS</Encryption>. Works fine, at least for SMTP in Outlook 2010. Found here:

http://mail.state-of-mind.de/pipermail/automx-users/2012-May/000059.html

--
Best regards,
Edmund

itn...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2014, 12:30:04 AM4/24/14
thankyou - very helpful.

sayh...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2014, 12:13:40 PM11/21/14
Sadly that is not working for me (using 2013) we need another workaround >.<

edward...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2015, 7:54:03 PM3/1/15
On Friday, November 21, 2014 at 12:13:40 PM UTC-5, sayh...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sadly that is not working for me (using 2013) we need another workaround >.<

I know this is stale and you probably already figured it out, but this worked for me on 2013:

<SSL>off</SSL>
<TLS>on</TLS>