SelfCert.exe solution

Michael Dunn

Jan 1, 2003, 12:46:24 AM1/1/03
Recently upgraded to XP, on a clean install, so had to recreate a digital signature for my
spreadsheet macros to be treated as a trusted source.

ran into the same problems a lot of people have had re "unable to create certificate" etc (searched
google and found many queries, no solutions)

Fortunately, in my attempts, one error message said "Signer.dll" not found

So I copied that over from the Office 2000 CD, registered the dll, and bingo - certificate created
OK at next attempt at running selfcert.exe

I thought I'd just put this into the google archives, for anyone else with similar problems

Barry G

Jan 5, 2003, 10:44:19 PM1/5/03
Michael,

That's good news and bad news.
I'm one of the many posters who has posed the question, and as you noted,
not received a solution, 'till now.

I came up with the workaround of using the command line makecert.exe,
supplying the switches for the name, and the certificate store to place the
resultant certificate in.

It's good news that you found a fix, but bad news in that I have not used
office before XP, and so I haven't got an Office 2000 disk to copy
signer.dll from.

you don't suppose signer.dll is hidden in the shadows of the OXP disk
somewhere do you?

Cheers.

BarryG

"Michael Dunn" <m_o...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Todd Fillingim

Jan 30, 2003, 9:22:18 AM1/30/03
i have had the same problem that many have described with selfcert.exe
creating a digital certificate and working perfectly for a while only
to find one day after modifying the code that it doesn't work at all
and i am not able to create a new certificate. i have found no
documentation on why this occurs even though it is obviously a common
problem. i also have not been able to find what situations cause this
to occur (newly installed software patches, etc.). i am running winXP
with office 2000 and the "signer.dll" file was not lost from my
system. the only fix that i have found to work is using
"makecert.exe" as described in the post found here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&output=search&selm=VA.00000011.01f93f40%40mindspring.com

makecert -n "CN=mbk" -sk myNewRootKey -r -ss myNewRoot

when using this fix remember to replace the mbk with your name or
initials.

todd.