Research Task Pane - Office 2003

Melissa Mooney

Feb 26, 2004, 12:39:34 PM2/26/04
My company wants to remove access to the Research Task
Pane in all Office 2003 products in which it is
available. I've gone through add/remove programs and
modified my installation of office to try to remove the
feature, but I cannot find the applicable feature. I also
have unsuccessfully attempted to edit the registry to
remove access. I would just remove the button on the
button bar, but this feature is also accessible by holding
down the ALT key and clicking on a word that you want to
research. Any thoughts?

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

Feb 26, 2004, 4:53:19 PM2/26/04
I'm sure there's a system policy to control access to this pane. Have you
looked in the Office Resource Kit?

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Assistance and Worldwide Services

"Melissa Mooney" <mmo...@williamblair.com> wrote in message

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Feb 27, 2004, 11:01:24 AM2/27/04
I have not checked there, but my company has it and I've
just installed it. Thanks for the advice.
>.

Beth Melton

Feb 28, 2004, 12:12:47 PM2/28/04
Hi Eric,

Do you happen to know the policy or where you can disable the Research
task pane? I've looked but have been unable to find anything. :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Eric Lawrence [MSFT]" <e_law...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

Feb 28, 2004, 11:18:03 PM2/28/04
I'll ask. For the moment, the R&R SDK (rssdk.chm) documents the following
settings. None of them hides the pane, but they can be used to ensure that
the pane doesn't contact servers.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Research\Options.

Entry name Value type Value data Required? Default value
NoAdd DWORD Boolean used to disable the Add Services button. This
setting prevents the addition of any service except the internal services.
It also disables the discovery mechanism. Possible values include:
a.. True (1). The Add button and discovery are disabled.
b.. False (0). The Add button and discovery are enabled.
No False is assumed if absent.
NoDiscovery DWORD Boolean used to disable the discovery mechanism.
Possible values include:
a.. True (1). The Research task pane never queries discovery
servers.
b.. False (0). The Research task pane can query the discovery
servers.
No False is assumed if absent.
DiscoveryNeedOptIn DWORD Boolean used to ask the user to opt in to the
discovery mechanism. This setting is irrelevant if NoDiscovery is set to 1.
The HKEY_CURRENT_USER version of this value overrides the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
value. Possible values include:
a.. True (1). Ask the user to opt in to the discovery mechanism.
b.. False (0). Enable the discovery mechanism without asking the
user.

"Beth Melton" <bme...@NoSpam4Memvps.org> wrote in message

Beth Melton

Feb 29, 2004, 12:14:14 PM2/29/04
Thanks Eric. This information is helpful. :-)

If you happen to find how to prevent it from surfacing I'd love to
know how to disable it. Unfortunately the Alt + Click has many users
viewing the Research task pane as an annoyance rather than the useful
tool it is and currently are only interested in getting rid of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Eric Lawrence [MSFT]" <e_law...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

Mar 1, 2004, 12:59:13 PM3/1/04
I'll ask around.

-E

"Beth Melton" <bme...@NoSpam4Memvps.org> wrote in message

Mark

Mar 8, 2004, 2:42:37 PM3/8/04
I'm hoping to get an answer about this, too. The 'research pane'
simply strikes me as Microsoft SPAM. It already advertises materials
no one needs. The next step will be little banners to 'click' and
'buy'. I close the 'research pane' fifty times a day, everyday.

I've done some research on the web and the obnoxious tool cannot be
removed. Hopefully, someone will come up with a 'auto-closer' for the
thing.