restore a navision db on a different SQL Server

Eric Lecocq

Jan 26, 2009, 10:36:29 AM1/26/09
Hello,

i've the following problem:
we have a production 'navision 5.0/sql server' server on the domain Xxxx.
I take a backup of the nav database and i restore it on a different sql
server on a different domain Yyyy. sql server has no problem to restore
db. but in navision it doesn't work ? I have the following error: 'the
combination of user id and password entered is invalid. try again'

i can adapt credentials in the sql server but i can't change the
credentials in Navision because i can't connect.

any hint ?
thank you in advance,

Ele.

Volker Strähle

Jan 26, 2009, 10:57:23 AM1/26/09
You made a backup with SQL-Server? Try to backup with NAV and restore into
an empty DB.

"Eric Lecocq" <lec...@nospam.be> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Mestre

Jan 26, 2009, 11:59:56 AM1/26/09
or before you make the backup, create SQL user with super permissions on
NAV, and then create that user in the new SQL server

"Volker Strähle" <vol...@straehle.com> wrote in message

Jesper Nielsen

Jan 28, 2009, 1:21:23 PM1/28/09
Eric Lecocq wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i've the following problem:
> we have a production 'navision 5.0/sql server' server on the domain
> Xxxx. I take a backup of the nav database and i restore it on a
> different sql server on a different domain Yyyy. sql server has no
> problem to restore db. but in navision it doesn't work ? I have the
> following error: 'the combination of user id and password entered is
> invalid. try again'

If you are out of other options you can try and delete the content of the
User table in the database (from some SQL tool), You will loose all
information related to this table, but will be able to log in.

Best regards
/Jesper

RedFox

Jan 29, 2009, 3:21:02 AM1/29/09
When you restoring the data into the DB (after finishing the operation), you
receive 1 active session. Don't close the NAV-Client and add new user from
domain Yyyy. Then you can try to synchronize this User.

Mestre

Jan 29, 2009, 8:44:41 AM1/29/09
only when restoring a NAV backup I think he is trying to restore a SQL
Backup

"RedFox" <redfo...@ukr.net> wrote in message

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Jan 29, 2009, 3:39:39 PM1/29/09
It makes sense that only Windows users from the first domain can connect to
the database. You wouldn't want users from a different domain connecting to
your database would you? That would not be very secure. What you can do is
create a database login on the original server, or give SA access to the
original NAV database, and create a new backup. That way you can get in with
that user when you restore the database on the other domain.

"Eric Lecocq" <lec...@nospam.be> wrote in message
> [...]

Volker Strähle

Jan 30, 2009, 2:16:08 AM1/30/09
If I understand well, then it means that You do not have any chance to
restore a NAV-Database with Windows-Auth if Your Domain is not the same? Is
this only depending on the domain-name or the domain-users? Would be a bad
situation if You loose Your domain-controller.

Volker

"Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <newsgroup@rispluspointcom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Jan 30, 2009, 7:28:10 AM1/30/09
Would you expect to be able to get into your ERP package without valid user
credentials? I don't understand why that would be a bad situation.

"Volker Strähle" <vol...@straehle.com> wrote in message

Volker Strähle

Jan 30, 2009, 8:19:56 AM1/30/09
How do You restore if Your DC is unrecoverable damaged? Is it enough to set
up a new DC with same domainname? Do I need to have same usernames (same
user is impossible, because You don't have the system-user-id if starting
new)? Would it help to setup "sa" as NAV-user for desaster-cases?

Volker

"Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <newsgroup@rispluspointcom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Jan 30, 2009, 10:06:22 AM1/30/09
I don't know, I've never seen that happen. I don't know if it allows access
if you create the same logins on a new domain with the same name, I think it
assigns unique numbers internally. Try it on a test box and see what
happens.

What I just don't understand is why you're insisting that you should be able
to access a NAV database (or any database for that matter) with an
unidentified domain user, that just doesn't make any sense to me. It
wouldn't be a very secure application if you could just connect to the
database with a user that is not defined within the database's permissions.
Might as well allow anonymous access.

As I mentioned earlier, you can use the SA account, or create a separate
database login on SQL Server, define that as a database login inside the NAV
client, and be able to get in using that account when restoring the database
to a different domain. You'd have to recreate the windows users from there,
but at least you can get in.

"Volker Strähle" <vol...@straehle.com> wrote in message

RedFox

Feb 2, 2009, 7:54:00 AM2/2/09
And what is the problem to perform the SQL BackUp-Restore?

Mestre

Feb 5, 2009, 6:30:34 AM2/5/09
None.

I just though he was restoring a DB in SSMS and then try to enter in DB.

Sorry but when I think in NAV and SQL, I only use SSMS to performe NAV.