What newsserver are you using to get MS groups?

StargateFan

Sep 1, 2010, 9:28:18 AM9/1/10
My newsreader with old ms newsserver is not receiving/sending anything
anymore due to MS pulling its newsserver (or whatever they did so that
this service no longer works).

I hate posting via web, I much prefer via my reader as I can keep
whatever threads I start and delete individual messages, etc.

What are you all using as a newsserver to replace MS'?

Thanks!

Michael Bednarek

Sep 2, 2010, 4:11:45 AM9/2/10
On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 06:28:18 -0700 (PDT), StargateFan wrote in
microsoft.public.msnewservers:

>My newsreader with old ms newsserver is not receiving/sending anything
>anymore due to MS pulling its newsserver (or whatever they did so that
>this service no longer works).
>
>I hate posting via web, I much prefer via my reader as I can keep
>whatever threads I start and delete individual messages, etc.

Same here.

>What are you all using as a newsserver to replace MS'?

Can't be bothered. I'm not following the madness.

StargateFan

Sep 4, 2010, 9:37:28 AM9/4/10
On Sep 2, 3:11 am, Michael Bednarek

<mbATmbednarek....@BLACKHOLESPAM.NET> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 06:28:18 -0700 (PDT), StargateFan wrote in
> microsoft.public.msnewservers:

[snip]

> >What are you all using as a newsserver to replace MS'?
>
> Can't be bothered. I'm not following the madness.
>
> --
> Michael Bednarek http://mbednarek.com/ "POST NO BILLS"

If it weren't for work, I'd have mostly given up using M$ products.
It's only Outlook and Excel that I like. And for my uses at home, I'd
find the freeware alternatives good enough.

But the reality is that I do have to us M$ products at work since
that's how things currently stand. I much prefer accessing the M$
groups via a newsreader since you have control over what posts in a
thread or even what threads you keep. Messages disappear on the web
or change locations, etc., etc. You have to be online to view them,
etc. Pain in the neck.

Is there no way to continue to somehow access the messages? I know M$
is up to its usual MO in wanting to keep control of things but surely
someone, somewhere, will host the messages? Just like all ngs are
found in different locations of the internet and not just usenet?

Anyone know of anything to this regard?

Thanks.

Michael Bednarek

Sep 6, 2010, 1:52:41 AM9/6/10
On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 06:37:28 -0700 (PDT), StargateFan wrote in
microsoft.public.msnewservers:

>On Sep 2, 3:11 am, Michael Bednarek wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 06:28:18 -0700 (PDT), StargateFan wrote in
>> microsoft.public.msnewservers:
>
>[snip]
>
>> >What are you all using as a newsserver to replace MS'?
>>
>> Can't be bothered. I'm not following the madness.
>

>If it weren't for work, I'd have mostly given up using M$ products.
>It's only Outlook and Excel that I like. And for my uses at home, I'd
>find the freeware alternatives good enough.
>
>But the reality is that I do have to us M$ products at work since
>that's how things currently stand. I much prefer accessing the M$
>groups via a newsreader since you have control over what posts in a
>thread or even what threads you keep. Messages disappear on the web
>or change locations, etc., etc. You have to be online to view them,
>etc. Pain in the neck.
>
>Is there no way to continue to somehow access the messages? I know M$
>is up to its usual MO in wanting to keep control of things but surely
>someone, somewhere, will host the messages? Just like all ngs are
>found in different locations of the internet and not just usenet?
>
>Anyone know of anything to this regard?

Microsoft provided a tool called NNTP Bridge to access their wbe-based
groups via NNTP news readers; apparently it's a bit buggy. An
alternative program is Community Forums NNTP Bridge at CodePlex. I
haven't tried either.