Re: About those microsoft.public rmgroups

Julien ÉLIE

May 10, 2010, 2:11:34 PM5/10/10
Hi Adam,

> Julien, please send a final checkgroups, clearly labeled as a final
> checkgroups, prior to Microsoft beginning its purge of newsgroups.

The real final checkgroups was a few months ago, before 500+ newsgroups
were removed in the row.
Anyway, I will send another current checkgroups in news.lists.misc.

> Issue rmgroups by traffic level, from lowest to highest.

That, I won't do.
However, there will be rmgroups over a few days.

> Some News administrator somewhere who recognizes your "authority"
> but wishes to retain these newsgroups is going to find his News server
> purged because he isn't aware of what's going on as he doesn't read the
> microsoft.public groups himself.

I always said that my control articles were mirroring the state of
msnews.microsoft.com. Microsoft is going to take down their news server
over a period of at least 6 months.
It gives time for news administrators to decide not to honour my control
articles any longer.

> A much better idea would be for you to issue that final checkgroups and
> state in it, clearly, that as Microsoft's News server is about to go off
> line that you will no longer be "maintaining" microsoft.public.* group
> lists, and leave it at that.

Giving up is not "maintaining". I'm going to accompany microsoft.public.*
until its end.

As I already told, if somebody wants to go on "maintaining" the hierarchy
and give it another life that it never was my intent on doing (I am just
mirroring the current list of newsgroups in msnews.microsoft.com),
he has to speak up now, provide a public PGP key and send control articles.

I can mention his PGP key in the checkgroups (in news.lists.misc)
and rmgroup control articles I will send, so that it could be known to
news administrators who currently follow my control messages.

--
Julien �LIE

� L'homme a imagin� le cercle avant de savoir que la terre �tait ronde.
�a prouve quand m�me une certaine facult� d'invention. � (Jacques Sternberg)