Windows Live Messenger 8.0 sign in problem - no error code

roadconnoisseur

Oct 13, 2006, 12:35:03 AM10/13/06
Since I rebooted my PC today, it's not possible anymore to sign in onto
Live Messenger 8.0.

What happens

> As soon as I click 'sign in', Messenger starts to connect (to my account #1), but keeps on flashing the icon, without actually connecting. It keeps on going - without any time out messages or error codes.

What I tried

> When I try to log in on webmessenger with account #1, it works.
> When I sign in with another account (let's call it account #2) on Live messenger, it works too!

Conclusion

> Seems as if WLM isn't corrupted.
> Seems as if my account isn't corrupted either.

Anyone any suggestions? I'm really stuck here...

Thanks in advance!

PJ

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Oct 13, 2006, 2:33:22 AM10/13/06
Greetings,

You may need to rebuild your client cache.

To do so, shut down Messenger, then clicking Start, then
Run, type:
%appdata%\Microsoft

Right-click the MSN Messenger folder and choose Delete. Then restart Messenger and see if
the problem has been corrected.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

"roadconnoisseur" <pieterjan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

JohnPaw

Oct 13, 2006, 5:06:02 AM10/13/06
Jonathan,

I saw your writing about cleaning the cache. That did not solve the problem.
I found out that it has occured after the last automatic updates. There were
about 12 of them, mostly small. But I cannot find out which one is the one
that causes the problem. Any additional suggestions?

Greetings,
JohnPaw

jonathan...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2006, 7:32:38 AM10/14/06
I'm having the same issue. I tried to delete the MSN folder as
suggested still not working. I also uninstalled and re-installed Live
Messenger with no luck! Please help!! I can log into the MSN web
messenger just fine.

jonathan...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2006, 10:02:34 AM10/14/06
I did a system restore to a previous date and Windows Live Messenger
still didn't sign in.
I then installed MSN messenger 7.5 and I can connect with no problems.
I would still like to get Windows Live Messenger to run!

AK Prince

Oct 14, 2006, 10:19:01 AM10/14/06
Have you tried the Registry Edit fix which a gentleman described in another
post? It worked on my system.

Regards!

Courtesy of Jimmymac (cut & paste below):

Guys,
I also had the same problem with MSN Live Messenger hanging during the login
in process, this what I did to fix the problem....

1. hit "run" in the start menu
2. type "regedit"
3. Open "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger"
4. Delete the folder called MSN Messenger
5. After this MSN Messenger Live will login as normal.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

jonathan...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2006, 11:11:15 AM10/14/06
Yea that worked thanks AK Prince!

Ben123

Oct 14, 2006, 3:58:20 PM10/14/06
This worked for me too!

Thanks AK Prince.

Bruce

Oct 15, 2006, 7:32:02 AM10/15/06
It works! It works! IT WORKS!

tenchibmw

Oct 17, 2006, 5:31:01 AM10/17/06
Still have the same problem.

any other ideas?

Steph

Oct 17, 2006, 8:24:02 AM10/17/06

YES!!!! Finally...after 4 days of hunting down supposed fixes, hinting down
viruses, uninstalling and reinstalling both live and plus! countless times,
system restoring etc... THIS worked. You made my day!!!

meta

Oct 17, 2006, 2:20:01 PM10/17/06
This fix worked perfectly for me!!!! I am so happy because I have a lot of
business exchanges with a partner stored in history and could not access it.
You saved my sanity!!!!

dragon1

Oct 17, 2006, 4:39:02 PM10/17/06
It DIDN'T work for me... :-(
Message has been deleted

ala...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2006, 6:53:51 PM10/18/06
Fixed my problem. Thanks!

Albertino

Oct 24, 2006, 10:51:46 AM10/24/06
That RegEdit method worked for me too! Thanks Prince!