Installing Bing Bar on 64 bit IE8?

SteveB

Jan 17, 2010, 3:13:01 PM1/17/10
I can't seem to install Bing Bar on 64 bit IE8 (with Win7 64bit). 32 bit IE8
works fine.

The installation seems to go normally, but nothing is installed. Bing isn't
listed in the View dropdown for toolbars either.

The Google toolbar installed without a hitch and recognized I was running a
64 bit browser immediately.

:( Come on guys....

BeritB [MSFT]

Feb 8, 2010, 6:57:01 PM2/8/10
Hi Steve,

I asked my associates on the Bing Bar team if IE8 (64-bit) is supported.
The official answer is that it is not, and currently there are no plans to
offer a 64-bit version.

I wish I had different news to offer you.

Thank you,
Berit Benson
Community Leader, MSN Explorer/MSN Internet Access

Jack Petersen

Jun 10, 2011, 11:30:49 AM6/10/11
Has the Bing Toolbar for IE9 (64 bit) been made available? I simply can't believe that MS would punt on this.
Thank you.

> On Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:13 PM SteveB wrote:

> I cannot seem to install Bing Bar on 64 bit IE8 (with Win7 64bit). 32 bit IE8
> works fine.
>
> The installation seems to go normally, but nothing is installed. Bing is not

> listed in the View dropdown for toolbars either.
>
> The Google toolbar installed without a hitch and recognized I was running a
> 64 bit browser immediately.

StephenB

Jun 10, 2011, 8:43:33 PM6/10/11
Note that you are posting to a dead newsgroup. Microsoft has dropped support for
the Microsoft.public server and associated groups. They only exist on 3rd party
news servers who do not honor the remove group message.

I believe that the Bing Toolbar will not run in the 64 bit version of IE9. It
will work in IE9 32 bit. See this discussion:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/ie-9-beta-x64-neither-silverlight-client-nor-bing/55d028f2-5697-42bd-9601-9c8bac025a00?page=2

Note that the Answers forum is the place for discussion of Windows, IE, and
other Microsoft topics. MSN Help and Support can be found at
http://answers.msn.com and Windows Live Support and Help can be found at
http://windowslivehelp.com

-steve

--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live

N. Miller

Jun 16, 2011, 7:33:54 PM6/16/11
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:43:33 -0400, StephenB wrote:

> Note that you are posting to a dead newsgroup. Microsoft has dropped support for
> the Microsoft.public server and associated groups.

Fortunately, MicroShaft has no control over NNTP service, and many users of
MS products will still post here! ;)

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

StephenB

Jun 16, 2011, 8:48:20 PM6/16/11
You are correct that nntp is a protocol that involves peering of the groups and
their content between servers hosted by providers. As long as a single host does
not honor the remove group message, it will live on, until the various providers
stop peering the groups and remove them from their servers. ;-)
Obviously, my provider is still peering the groups.
-steve