moving message between multiple queues, querying by message id (or correlationId?)

Greg Nicholson

Aug 16, 2012, 1:13:01 PM8/16/12
I'm building an application using MSMQ that looks after my product generation and distribution. I have 7 queues:
request
generation
distribution[1-5]

I designed it to query by the message.Id as the request moves to the generation and then into a distribution queue. However, I see that message.Id cannot be set. It creates a new message.Id when I insert into the next queue.
I am thinking of using correlationId to track the movement of the message through the queues.
I'd like to set the correlationId to the generated message.Id when it is sent to the queue. Is this possible? Is this the best to accomplish what I need?