Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick

Paul Murphy

Aug 5, 2009, 5:25:51 PM8/5/09
I've just dragged my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick out of
storage to use with MS Flight Simulator on my new Windows 7 machine. The
joystick doesn't seem to be supported and Windows 7 shows it as a game
controller pad with none of the configuration options it used to have back
in the Win2K days. Microsoft's website doesn't appear to have drivers for
this device anymore. This surprises me because Microsoft made it and haven't
released anything that supersedes it - do they really expect us to replace
such devices with hardware from another manufacturer? Doesn't it make sense
to keep the joystick supported in their OSs until at least they come up with
a successor. Can anyone help me with a workaround to get the device working
properly in Windows 7? Please let me know the secret!

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4309 (20090805) __________

http://www.eset.com

Kutagh

Sep 2, 2009, 3:57:01 PM9/2/09
I've also dragged out my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick, and
plugged it in. Using Windows 7 64 bits, it is recognised properly. Going to
"Set up USB game devices" and every function is properly recognised (meaning
that every button and function that is on the joystick is working).

I haven't done anything special aside of plugging it in. I've plugged it in
on the back side of the case, directly on the motherboard. It might be if you
plugged it in through the front side of the case (if that is possible) that
there is some kind of problem with the connector on the motherboard for
additional USB ports.

Catamount

Sep 6, 2009, 6:22:01 PM9/6/09
I also just recently dragged out this joystick, and while Windows 7 RC 64-bit
recognizes it fine, and even allows for Force Feedback from the outset, I
lack the ability to adjust the strength of the force feedback and centering
like I could back on Windows 98. If anyone is aware of a utility that would
allow for that, it would be greatly appreciated.

DavidRo

Sep 22, 2009, 7:16:01 PM9/22/09
Ditto me.. 32 bit Windows 7 and it worked first time. Plugged in the power,
connected to my USB port, allowed it to automatically find the drivers..
Bingo!

Go to Start --> Search --> Type "Set up USB game devices" and test the
device.. It worked.. Happy days! I LOVE Windows 7!!!!!!!!

aimanabdullah

Oct 30, 2009, 12:07:18 AM10/30/09
I've only been onto Win-7 on a new Dell Inspiron 545 for three days and am still groping my way about so, many of my problems may be simply from ignorance of my way around.

But, I have installed MSFS 2004 and MSCFS-2 and my MSFFB 2 joystick works beautifully with both, without installation of any software.

However, my Bed Barons, neither II or 3D will install and the software (original ten years ago) for the joystick will not install, and I cannot program the properties to fly Red Baron on Win-7.

I think I can get the RB's to run using cheats and fixes, but how can I get the software to program the MSFFB 2 hoystick?

I ran both of the MSFSim programs on XP-2 SP2, and the joystick instalaled nicely, but I nefvger got any version of RB to run on XP.

Any ideas? Those old Sierra Red Baron games are probebly the finest, most fun games ever written for that type of game. It is too bad that no one has bought them up, reworked the software and remarketed them for some of the new a faster machines we are now running.

I agree, Microsoft sold a lot of FFB 2 joysticks, and at the prices they are ging today it seems only ligical and morally correct that they support them, in both the "new" OS's and in software updates of the accessories.

But, no one in Detroit ever got rich by marketing an automobile which lasted more than five years, either.

But

DavidRo wrote:

Ditto me.. 32 bit Windows 7 and it worked first time.

22-Sep-09

Ditto me.. 32 bit Windows 7 and it worked first time. Plugged in the power,
connected to my USB port, allowed it to automatically find the drivers..
Bingo!

Go to Start --> Search --> Type "Set up USB game devices" and test the
device.. It worked.. Happy days! I LOVE Windows 7!!!!!!!!

"Catamount" wrote:

On Wednesday, August 05, 2009 5:25 PM
Paul Murphy wrote:

Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick
I have just dragged my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick out of

storage to use with MS Flight Simulator on my new Windows 7 machine. The

joystick does not seem to be supported and Windows 7 shows it as a game

controller pad with none of the configuration options it used to have back

in the Win2K days. Microsoft's website does not appear to have drivers for
this device anymore. This surprises me because Microsoft made it and have not

released anything that supersedes it - do they really expect us to replace
such devices with hardware from another manufacturer? Doesn't it make sense
to keep the joystick supported in their OSs until at least they come up with
a successor. Can anyone help me with a workaround to get the device working
properly in Windows 7? Please let me know the secret!

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4309 (20090805) __________

http://www.eset.com

On Wednesday, September 02, 2009 3:57 PM
Kutagh wrote:

I've also dragged out my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick, and

I have also dragged out my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick, and

plugged it in. Using Windows 7 64 bits, it is recognised properly. Going to
"Set up USB game devices" and every function is properly recognised (meaning
that every button and function that is on the joystick is working).

I have not done anything special aside of plugging it in. I have plugged it in

on the back side of the case, directly on the motherboard. It might be if you
plugged it in through the front side of the case (if that is possible) that
there is some kind of problem with the connector on the motherboard for
additional USB ports.

"Paul Murphy" wrote:

On Sunday, September 06, 2009 6:22 PM
Catamount wrote:

I also just recently dragged out this joystick, and while Windows 7 RC 64-bit
I also just recently dragged out this joystick, and while Windows 7 RC 64-bit
recognizes it fine, and even allows for Force Feedback from the outset, I
lack the ability to adjust the strength of the force feedback and centering
like I could back on Windows 98. If anyone is aware of a utility that would
allow for that, it would be greatly appreciated.

"Kutagh" wrote:

On Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:16 PM
DavidRo wrote:

Ditto me.. 32 bit Windows 7 and it worked first time.
Ditto me.. 32 bit Windows 7 and it worked first time. Plugged in the power,
connected to my USB port, allowed it to automatically find the drivers..
Bingo!

Go to Start --> Search --> Type "Set up USB game devices" and test the
device.. It worked.. Happy days! I LOVE Windows 7!!!!!!!!

"Catamount" wrote:

.NET GDI+ Strip Image From Animated Gif
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b2f7d8b7-9fc5-4f84-8eab-813a0fd0435e/net-gdi-strip-image-fro.aspx

stephensmith

Feb 22, 2010, 6:11:59 PM2/22/10
I recently decided to install x-plane 9 again, only to want more "Combat Flight Simulator". Even though it is older, its funner imo. Ive played it for years. Unfortunately for me, the game refuses to recognize the controller properly and constantly gives me like "Your game controller name has changed from "sdgfsdfw" to "bleh something weird" Would you like to reset the control assignments?" I have win7 and the disk that came with the sidewider gives an error when i try to configure the controller and it refused to detect the controller during setup so i was forced to skip it. Game still doesn't recognize the controller.

Paul Murphy wrote:

Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick

05-Aug-09

Paul Murphy wrote:

[...]

Kutagh wrote:

"Paul Murphy" wrote:

"Kutagh" wrote:

"Catamount" wrote:

On Friday, October 30, 2009 12:07 AM
Aiman Abdullah wrote:

MS FFB 2 No Go on Win-7

[...]

Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .Net Tips and Tricks No. 26
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/8e390106-20d1-4b2b-be30-cde5d852348d/dr-dotnetskys-cool-net.aspx

hub...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2014, 9:48:19 AM4/5/14
I was having problems and then simply changed the USB port I was using and WAMMO WORKING FINE!!!