How to set the wheel click button to open a new tab in IE

Blake

Feb 24, 2010, 10:19:02 AM2/24/10
I have bought the Microsoft wireless mouse 5000. I have the software
installed. I want to make the wheel click option open a new tab for browsing
in IE. On my old mouse, I could click a link with the mouse wheel and it
would open a new tab in IE. I would like to do the same thing with this
mouse. The Microsoft Mouse software that installed with the mouse does not
give me that option. It gives a whole lot of other options, but not this one.
At the bottom of the wheel button options it has a "start...(custom) option
though. Is there a way to get it to do what I want by using this option? Or
is there some other way? The model # on the mouse box says (model
no:1387,1364). Thank you.

Beverly Howard

Feb 24, 2010, 11:24:04 AM2/24/10
Assuming that ie has a keystroke (such as <ctrl-T> for a new tab, open
the intellipoint utility to the button assignment, select the scroll
click button, then <keystroke> and press the shortcut.

Beverly Howard

Blake

Feb 26, 2010, 1:57:02 PM2/26/10
Thank you for the info. However, Let me rephrase my question...
I would like to be able to click "on a link" on a web page (with the mouse
wheel button) and it open that link up in a new tab in IE.
Is there a way to do that?
Thank you

"Beverly Howard" wrote:

> .

Beverly Howard

Feb 26, 2010, 3:26:54 PM2/26/10
>> ...click "on a link" on a web page (with the mouse

wheel button) and it open that link up in a new tab in IE <<

probably possible using a macro program... i.e. a macro that would
<right-click> then the keystroke to select link in new tab. I don't
have any more specific tips

Beverly Howard

Cathy Moya (MSFT)

Mar 2, 2010, 1:16:33 PM3/2/10
Hi, Blake,
Yes, there is a way to do that. It all comes down to a mysterious action
called "middle click". It's probably been years since you saw a three button
mouse with a definite left, right, and middle button. And you may or may not
use applications that actually do anything if you click a middle mouse
button. In some graphics applications, middle click is crucial but in a lot
of Microsoft stuff it just gives you autoscroll. Which can be confusing,
because Autosscroll is a command you can assign directly to a button if you
want it.

Somewhere along the line, IE started using middle click to open a new tab in
IE. If you have Windows 7, you can also middle click an icon on the taskbar
to open a new session instead of opening an existing session. (And if anyone
else out there has a favorite use for middle click I'd love to hear it. I'm
thinking of writing an article about middle click for the Hardware web
site.)

Many Microsoft mice come with a button under the scroll wheel, which could
be thought of as a middle mouse button. What that button is assigned to
varies with the mouse and with the version of IntelliPoint you install. If
you have IntelliPoint installed, just assign the wheel button (or any other
button you want) to middle click and you'll get the behavior you were used
to.

Hope that helps!

--
Cathy Moya
Microsoft Hardware User Experience

www.microsoft.com/hardware
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

"Blake" <Bl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Beverly Howard

Mar 2, 2010, 4:01:31 PM3/2/10
>> middle click <<

great tip... thanks

Beverly Howard

Posey@discussions.microsoft.com Stephen Posey

May 30, 2010, 9:15:01 AM5/30/10

> Somewhere along the line, IE started using middle click to open a new tab in
> IE. If you have Windows 7, you can also middle click an icon on the taskbar
> to open a new session instead of opening an existing session. (And if anyone
> else out there has a favorite use for middle click I'd love to hear it. I'm
> thinking of writing an article about middle click for the Hardware web
> site.)

I realize this is a bit of a late response, but I just stumbled across the
thread in search of a solution for my older Logitech Marble Wheel trackball
on Windows 7.

Here's another datapoint for your question about what people assign to the
middle mouse click:

I like to be able to set it to duplicate the CTRL key. That allows me to
perform multiselection in many applications (and some specilalized activities
in a few applications) one handed using just the mouse/trackball.

Hope that's still of interest.

stephen posey
stephe...@earthlink.net

Cathy Moya (MSFT)

Jun 2, 2010, 1:56:43 PM6/2/10
Hi, Stephen,
For a Microsoft Mouse you can assign the Ctrl key to a mouse button. I don't
know what the Logitech software allows.

--
Cathy Moya
Microsoft Hardware User Experience

www.microsoft.com/hardware
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

"Stephen Posey" <Stephen Po...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kenda...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2014, 6:51:18 PM2/16/14
Thank you this is very helpful!

john.pa...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2014, 4:00:52 PM4/6/14
One problem here with Google search.

When I do a Google search and get a list of topics, the first time I click on a topic with the mouse wheel, the new link opens in the same TAB, NOT a new TAB. Then, I cannot even use the arrow to go back to the previous window with all my search links, I need to redo the same search, then it will open a link in a new TAB by using the mouse wheel.