Cannot Restore backup on Microsoft Money 2005

2005 Backup Issue@discussions.microsoft.com Money 2005 Backup Issue

Jan 7, 2009, 10:57:02 AM1/7/09
After a hard drive crash, I installed Microsoft Money 2005 on another
computer and tried to restore the backup file, which I had on an SD card (but
first sved to the desktop). When I try and restore it, I get the message
"Money cannot locate C:\Our Money 3" [the supposed copy of the backup file
that was restored] or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file
or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write
protected."

I'm not sure what to do. I should say that I do not know for sure if the
backup was created when I was running Money 2004 or 2005, if that matters.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Steve

Cal Learner-- MVP

Jan 7, 2009, 11:26:39 AM1/7/09
In microsoft.public.money, Money 2005 Backup Issue <Money 2005
Backup Is...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Let Money 2005 create a new Money file, clicking Decline in the
process. Alternatively open Sample.mny, which is in your install
folder. Money 2005 will do an update via the internet. Close
Money. Then open Money and check that Help->About... says you
then have version 14.0.*.1105.

Copy your *.mny and *.mbf files to you Documents folder, where you
will have permissions. Then you should be able to open or restore
your existing files. If you restore, don't take the "default
location". Instead browse to your Documents folder.

Money 2005 Backup Issue

Jan 7, 2009, 8:37:01 PM1/7/09
None of this worked for me. I tried creating a new file as well as opening
the sample file. It did not update via the internet.

You also indicated I should copy my .mny and .mbf files to my Documents
folder. I do not have these files, as all I have is a backup file. Or are
these the new files I created? I'm confused. Can you assist?

Cal Learner-- MVP

Jan 7, 2009, 8:53:16 PM1/7/09
In microsoft.public.money, Money 2005 Backup Issue wrote:

>None of this worked for me. I tried creating a new file as well as opening
>the sample file. It did not update via the internet.

None worked? Including opening the sample file? What is your version
shown in Help->About? If it's not 14.0.*.1105 then you will have to
address that first.

>You also indicated I should copy my .mny and .mbf files to my Documents
>folder. I do not have these files, as all I have is a backup file. Or are
>these the new files I created? I'm confused. Can you assist?

If you have a *.mbf, it can be enough. Don't lose that. But first
address the version update issue.

Money 2005 Backup Issue

Jan 7, 2009, 8:55:01 PM1/7/09
Please ignore my last post. This worked! Thank you so much! I now have all
my data. I am so grateful.

rosh...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2015, 2:08:24 PM9/9/15
Super - Thank You. This has worked for me.

Keith (Southend)

Feb 24, 2017, 5:54:01 PM2/24/17
I have a computer on it's last legs and want to install Money onto a new
one with Windows 10 but it just will not open/restore from the backup
file. This is really annoying me now, I've tried the above but just keep
going around in circles.

Alternatively, is the another similar programme where I could import the
backup file into? I fear I may lose everything soon.

--
Keith (Southend)
"Weather Home & Abroad"

Barry Schwarz

Feb 24, 2017, 8:27:44 PM2/24/17
On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 22:54:35 +0000, "Keith (Southend)"
<keith_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a computer on it's last legs and want to install Money onto a new
>one with Windows 10 but it just will not open/restore from the backup
>file. This is really annoying me now, I've tried the above but just keep
>going around in circles.
>
>Alternatively, is the another similar programme where I could import the
>backup file into? I fear I may lose everything soon.

Look at the solutions available on the Microsoft forum that deals with
this program.

--
Remove del for email

Keith (Southend)

Feb 25, 2017, 7:27:23 AM2/25/17
You are a star Barry...downloaded and installed the UK version and it
opened up straight away with my password etc together with the mny file
I had already placed into the folder.

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

I have used it for many years now and I find it extremely useful. I
never really used the online functions, so it's does everything I
require. I will save that installation file somewhere safe for future
reference.

Many many thanks

Keith (Southend)

Feb 25, 2017, 7:38:52 AM2/25/17
On 25/02/2017 12:27, Keith (Southend) wrote:
> On 25/02/2017 01:27, Barry Schwarz wrote:

For information this is on a 64-bit Windows 10 Dell computer (UK)