Investment balances show contributions as negative cash balance

J.Delage

Jun 3, 2006, 2:00:01 PM6/3/06

I'm using Money 2006. When I downloaded transaction for the first time,
Money added up all my cash contributions as a negative cash balance. This
completely skews my portfolio view - in fact, it shows a negative cash
balance worth more than all my investments...

How can I solve this? I just started using Money and I don't have that much
work put into it so far. I'd be willing to delete & re-upload accounts if I
did something wrong initially.

Most of those contributions are direct deposit from paycheck to 401(k) and
never went through my bank account. A smaller portion are after tax deposits
from my bank account (but my bank isn't set up for Money yet).

Thanks!

Cal Learner-- MVP

Jun 3, 2006, 2:19:01 PM6/3/06
In microsoft.public.money, J.Delage wrote:

>I'm using Money 2006. When I downloaded transaction for the first time,
>Money added up all my cash contributions as a negative cash balance. This
>completely skews my portfolio view - in fact, it shows a negative cash
>balance worth more than all my investments...
>
>How can I solve this? I just started using Money and I don't have that much
>work put into it so far. I'd be willing to delete & re-upload accounts if I
>did something wrong initially.

What I suspect is happening is that the Buys were downloaded, but
the contributions that funded those buys were not. There are a
couple of ways to handle this. You could just get rid of the
contributions register. This is easier, but is not as good as having
actual contribution tracking.

I would get things going by adjusting the initial balance of the
contributions account to raise the opening balance to zero. From
that register, click ChangeAccountSettings on the left.
OpeningBalance is near the bottom. Alternatively, you can create a
single transaction that pre-dates the others. This would serve as a
catch-up contribution transaction.

Dick Watson

Jun 3, 2006, 2:34:13 PM6/3/06
See also http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=14. In general, you need to get the
cash in there that is getting invested.

"J.Delage" <JDe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

J.Delage

Jun 3, 2006, 2:38:02 PM6/3/06
Cal,

Thanks. My bank is supposed to get set up for Money sometimes this month
(knock on wood) and when that happens, I suppose I will be able to link each
contribution on the bank side to the contribution on the investment side.

However, for the 401(k) that will not be possible since the money is sent
directly from my paycheck (and BTW that's also how most of my income taxes
are paid). Any suggestion on how I should manage this side?

Thanks,

Joss

J.Delage

Jun 3, 2006, 2:47:01 PM6/3/06
Dick - thanks for that, it's a good set of issues. I'll peruse it.

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> See also http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php

Cal Learner-- MVP

Jun 3, 2006, 3:00:48 PM6/3/06
In microsoft.public.money, J.Delage wrote:

I would not go so far as making it a suggestion, but in the Account
Settings for your 401(k), you could clear TrackCashTransactions.

Dick Watson

Jun 3, 2006, 10:17:54 PM6/3/06
The "normal" way to do this is to a) schedule a Paycheck that includes taxes
and 401k transfers, among other things, and then b) download a deposit of
the net paycheck and match it up with the scheduled transaction. The net
amount of the scheduled Paycheck is what the downloaded deposit data from
you bank should match up with. But all of the details will NEVER get
downloaded from the bank.

"J.Delage" <JDe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

panu...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2019, 5:06:13 AM8/16/19