SCOM2007 product specs and capabilities

Nick Dakoronias

May 5, 2009, 3:32:19 AM5/5/09
Hello MOM forum readers,

I have a customer who plans to purchase SCOM 2007, provided that the product
fulfills the following conditions:

1) SCOM2007 capability to monitor all Microsoft components deployed in
cust. infrastructure (AD, Exchange, ISA, DNS, DHCP, etc)
2) SCOM2007 capability to monitor SAN storage disks capacity and provide
utilization alerts based on specific thresholds.
3) SCOM2007 capability to monitor to Hardware Utilization including
CPU/Disk/RAM utilization, NIC failures, etc.
4) SCOM2007 capability to provide central monitoring via main console (i.e.
TV screen 40")
5) SCOM2007 capability to create custom metrics (i.e. for SLAs) and alerts
and exporting them in custom formats (i.e. xml, etc) based on defined
thresholds
or even sending SMS for critical outages (i.e. network outage).
6) SCOM2007 Reporting capability to maintain 120 days history on-line and
the rest of reporting historical data archived

-> My questions:
a) Where can I find white papers that outline product capabilities listed
in bullets 1-6?
Are the management packs for Server products and Windows Technology
URLs below enough?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd279602.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd279605.aspx
b) Bullets 4, 5, 6 refer on SCOM custom functionality upon specific customer's
requirements. Are they feasible? If yes, where can I find product
references for those?
c) Which are the SCOM2007 prerequisites in terms of storage & dbase? Where
can I find references?
Is SCOM system requirements URL enough ? ->
http://technet.microsoft.com/el-gr/library/bb309428(en-us).aspx
d) Is it recommended to run Production SCOM2007 Virtualized? (Hyper-V,
Virtual Server)? Is there such reference available?
e) Do you know -via your customers' references- if SCOM2007 could integrate
(via API/connector) with EMC Archiving solution SENTERA? If no which are the
suggested archived solutions?

Notice that for questions (b), (d), (e) not found evidences on whitepaper
and datasheet posted at right pane of URL >
http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/operationsmanager/en/us/default.aspx

Thanks in advance, Nick.

Anders Bengtsson [MVP]

May 5, 2009, 4:35:11 PM5/5/09
Hello Nick,

1, 2, 3 is the power of management packs. So look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/opsmgr/cc539535.aspx

4, look at http://contoso.se/blog/?p=580 and http://contoso.se/blog/?p=511
but also read about distributed applications in OPs Mgr.

5, take a look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748603.aspx

6. OPs Mgr Reporting keeps 1 year of data with default settings

Running OPs Mgr in a virtual environment is supported.

please post again is there is anything that I missed

Anders Bengtsson
Microsoft MVP - System Center Operations Manager
www.contoso.se

wilsonlast

May 29, 2012, 8:30:20 AM5/29/12

You may also check how to send SMS from SCOM 2007 with Ozeki NG SMS Gateway:
sms-integration.com/p_13-scom-2007-sms.html

BR