RE: SCOM 2007 - Can network devices have a friendly name ?

Guozhen Wang

Mar 11, 2008, 6:52:10 AM3/11/08
Hello,

Thank you for your post.

My name is Gary Wang, and it is my pleasure to work with you on this issue!

Please allow me to confirm that my understandings are correct. As I
understand it, the issue is:

You want to know if there is a way to make the network devices show up a
more friendly name in SCOM console.

If I have misunderstood your concerns please feel free to let me know.

Suggestions:
=============

I have performed research on the issue. Unfortunately it seems there are no
official methods for this specific requirements. However, I will report
your concern to our related team. Hope this feature can be added in future.

Actually, you could also submit the suggestions here:

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1214&showpage=1&
WS=Wish&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.microsoft.com%2fireland%2fcontact%2f

You are welcome to upload suggestions and feedbacks like the following via
the above website:

o Enhancement or feature addition to existing Microsoft products
o Reproducible problem or bug with current version that needs resolution
o Cannot find documentation of feature within the help files
o Difficulty using the product
o All beta products
o Product packaging complaints
o Added accessibility feature for a Microsoft product

In fact, we are always striving to capture any feedback from our partners
and customers so as to ensure that we are continuously developing products
that meet our customer needs. Suggestions are always appreciated and taken
seriously.

Thanks again for using our products and hope you have a nice day. : )

Regards,
Guozhen Wang
Microsoft Online Support

Guozhen Wang

Mar 13, 2008, 4:50:20 AM3/13/08

How are you doing? I'm just writing to see how things are going on there.

Did the information we provided satisfies your query? If there is anything
we can do for you here in this thread, please feel free to post back here.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks! :-)

JF

Jun 5, 2008, 4:54:00 AM6/5/08
Hi Gareth,

The best that I have found is that if you populate the MIB-2 OID on each
device for: name,Description ect.. This information will show in alerts and
the console. Note you may have to customize your view (add column Device Name
ect.) The name column will still show IP but the other columns will show the
data you populated in MIB-2 IOD information.

"Gareth" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's great that SCOM 2007 can use SNMP to monitor network devices, but is it
> possible to give these devices a friendly name ? Currently routers show up as
> their IP addresses and this is somewhat unfriendly. Perhaps I've missed
> something here.....
>
> Cheers,

Michael Grossman

Jul 14, 2011, 7:38:58 AM7/14/11
We ran into the same limitation when configuring SCOM in our environment.

Never did find a way to change this, but did find a work around.

We created a Group for each device, then added the Network Device to the associated Group. For the Diagram View, we add the groups which contain the individual devices, not the devices themselves. In order for status to show properly at the group level, you have to configure the status to roll-up to the group which contains each device.

For example, Workgroup 1 Switch 2 with IP 192.168.1.5. We created a group called Wk1Sw2 and made the Network Device (192.168.1.5) a member of that group. When creating my customized diagram, I added Wk1Sw2 to the view. By configuring the status roll-up, when the Network Device reports a problem, the Wk1Sw2 group will also represent the same status (a red X or yellow warning depending on state of the Network Device).

If anyone has found a cleaner way to do this, please let me know.

> On Monday, March 10, 2008 4:01 PM garet wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's great that SCOM 2007 can use SNMP to monitor network devices, but is it
> possible to give these devices a friendly name ? Currently routers show up as
> their IP addresses and this is somewhat unfriendly. Perhaps I've missed
> something here.....
>
> Cheers,

>> Regards,
>> Guozhen Wang
>> Microsoft Online Support

Michael Grossman

Jul 14, 2011, 7:43:20 AM7/14/11
Only way I have found around this issue is to create a Group for each device, and name the Group how you want the Network Device to be displayed. Then add the Network Device to that Group.

When configuring Diagram Views, add the Group instead of the Network Device (which will also be added beneath the Group). To ensure the Friendly Named Group displays correct status, you must configure the Group to have status roll-up. That way, if the Network Device reports an error, it will be indicated on the Diagram View for the Group.

Example. WorkGroup1 Switch2 with IP 192.168.1.5.

Discovery Network Device by IP. Create a Group named Wk1Sw2. Add the Network Device to the Group. Configure the status of the group to display the status of the member device. Add the Group to the Diagram View.

If anyone has found an easier way to do this, please share!

Michael Grossman

Jul 14, 2011, 7:43:43 AM7/14/11