Self-service password reset tool

Armel

Mar 13, 2007, 7:59:05 AM3/13/07

I am currently involved in comparing the different self-service password
reset tools available in the market for possible implementation in my company.

To give me a better overview of MIIS 2003, I would like to request for a
link or documentations highlighting the key features of the tool. Key
features like: authentication, notification, scalability, accessibility,
servers, integration, configuration, administration, recognition,
enhancements, etc.

Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Armel

Michael D'Angelo

Mar 13, 2007, 10:13:59 AM3/13/07
MIIS is not a self-service password tool. It provides object-based and
attribute-based synchronization between heterogenous systems, as well as
on-demand password synchronization from Active Directory to other systems.
The primary benefit is it allows your organization to have a single view of
what constitutes a "person" in all the systems you might have, and define
who is authoritative for particular information and ensure it's accurate
across your enterprise.

Although there are some samples, you would have to basically develop your
own self-service password system (typically a small web-based application.)
MIIS can facilitate getting passwords to the systems you need, but does not
directly deal with end-users.

Here is a basic overview of the product:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/miis/evaluate/overview.mspx

"Armel" <Ar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anibal Reis

Apr 19, 2007, 6:30:00 AM4/19/07

I'm having the same needs as Armel for a customer.
They are thinking on buying the CA Identity Manager to do it, but first they
have asked me if MIIS can manage it.

As Michael wrote, I know that MIIS SP1 does not provide it, but the new ILM
look like it will. We can clearly read in the datasheet
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/d/9/6d9af151-a489-470a-88f2-2f1a800f6a91/DS_ILM.pdf:
"It also includes self-help tools for end users, enabling IT to improve
efficiency by securely delegating many tasks to end users."

I have already tried the SP2 Beta version of MIIS, but didn't find anything
new from the password synchronization of SP1.
I found other similar solutions like "ad tools"
http://www.advtoolware.com/software/ss-reset-password/self-service-reset-password-management.asp, but I would like to know if ILM will really bring it.

Does anyone know more information about this?

Regards
Anibal

Petrucci@discussions.microsoft.com John Petrucci

Apr 10, 2008, 8:00:00 AM4/10/08
in my company we're using netwrix password manager program. It's really easy
to deploy and use. We're reduced costs on the help desk in times, all of our
employees were trained how to use it, so now they can reset their passwords
really easy, just by going to the web-based portal and answering predefined
questions.
Best regards,
John Petrucci.

Mustafa

Jan 12, 2010, 1:23:01 PM1/12/10
Hello:

In general, I would not recommend building your own tool, since there are
many tools that perform this type of function.

Our solution, SMOP (Self Management of Passwords) can be found here:

http://www.turbo-it.com

You will find it very simple to implement and use and priced so that it is a
no-brainer.

Best Regards.

Bob@Unify

Jan 24, 2010, 6:45:40 AM1/24/10
On Jan 13, 4:23 am, Mustafa <Must...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> In general, I would not recommend building your own tool, since there are
> many tools that perform this type of function.
>
> Our solution, SMOP (Self Management of Passwords) can be found here:
>
> http://www.turbo-it.com
>
> You will find it very simple to implement and use and priced so that it is a
> no-brainer.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> "Anibal Reis" wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm having the same needs as Armel for a customer.
> > They are thinking on buying the CA Identity Manager to do it, but first they
> > have asked me if MIIS can manage it.
>
> > As Michael wrote, I know that MIIS SP1 does not provide it, but the new ILM
> > look like it will. We can clearly read in the datasheet
> >http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/d/9/6d9af151-a489-470a-88f2-...

> > "It also includes self-help tools for end users, enabling IT to improve
> > efficiency by securely delegating many tasks to end users."
>
> > I have already tried the SP2 Beta version of MIIS, but didn't find anything
> > new from the password synchronization of SP1.
> > I found other similar solutions like "ad tools"
> >http://www.advtoolware.com/software/ss-reset-password/self-service-re..., but I would like to know if ILM will really bring it.

Armel
Agreed - there are indeed many such products on the market, many of
which complement the password management capabilities of MIIS/
ILM2007 ... until the pending release of FIM. Our company too has
written its own such tool not only to "bridge the gap" until FIM is
released, but also cater for the scenario where the primary password
store is not AD but ADAM (or ADLDS). Check out the UNIFY Password
Reset Manager (http://www.unifysolutions.net/ourSolutions.cfm# - the
brown fingerprint, 6th from top on the left hand menu) and see how it
stacks up against the others. This is as lightweight as you can get,
and as such doesn't include a gina component (there were already
enough of these solutions on the market). If you DO want the "full
box and dice" I recommend you compare the above product suggestions
with another excellent option in EmpowerID (http://www.empowerid.com/
password_manager.php).
Cheers
Bob Bradley, UNIFY

rachit2...@gmail.com

May 21, 2013, 10:48:31 AM5/21/13
Hi , Please do take in to consideration the tool Lepide Active Directory Self Service for the same. A self password reset tool with an unique facility of assigning user to unlock the accounts. Please download and test the tool once from the given link..

http://www.lepide.com/active-directory-self-service.html

Hope it helps you a lot and add a more advantage while testing different other tools.

Thanks.