Multiple Computers in my home using Office v.10

T Smith

Jan 16, 2004, 9:21:15 PM1/16/04
I have a legal, "bought and paid for" copy Office for MAC v.10 which
is loaded on my Titanium Notebook. We have purchased an iMAC and my
wife attempted to load the Office program onto it. It accepted the
program but won't give her access stating that it already in use on my
computer.

1. Doesn't the original license allow for multiple useage on a limited
number of computers in a household?

2. If not, how to I get licensing for this new computer?

Succinctly, We are looking to run this program on two computers that
we own. Period!

How can we do that without buying another full version of Office?

Tom

JE McGimpsey

Jan 17, 2004, 11:43:37 AM1/17/04
In article <33bc4769.04011...@posting.google.com>,
tasm...@earthlink.net (T Smith) wrote:

> I have a legal, "bought and paid for" copy Office for MAC v.10 which
> is loaded on my Titanium Notebook. We have purchased an iMAC and my
> wife attempted to load the Office program onto it. It accepted the
> program but won't give her access stating that it already in use on my
> computer.
>
> 1. Doesn't the original license allow for multiple useage on a limited
> number of computers in a household?

You can read the license by running the Welcome application in the
Microsoft Office X folder. It says (on mine, at least):

"You may install and use one copy of the Software Product on a single
computer...("Device"). You may make a second copy of the Software
Product and install it on a portable Device for the exclusive use of the
person who is the primary user of the first copy of the Software
Product. A license...may not be shared."

So you can install it on a laptop and a desktop for your use, but you
can't use an application on both machines at the same time.

> 2. If not, how to I get licensing for this new computer?

You'll need to buy another copy. If you or your wife are associated with
an educational institution, look for the Student/Teacher edition. It has
three licenses, is the full version, and is considerably cheaper (though
not upgradeable).

Note that buying Office v.X now will give you a free (well, $10 for S&H)
copy of Office 2004 when it ships.

> Succinctly, We are looking to run this program on two computers that
> we own. Period!
>
> How can we do that without buying another full version of Office?

You can't, unfortunately.

If you think, as I do, that MS would sell more copies of Office if they
gave a significant discount for a second, SOHO, or family license, send
feedback to MS via the Help/Send Feedback on Application menu item in
any Office v.X app.