Using Less Ink On Word

385 views
Skip to first unread message

edk...@officeformac.com

unread,
Feb 1, 2010, 2:30:36 AM2/1/10
to
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to use less ink (especially black ink) when I'm not concerned about the quality of the the print. I have an HP Deskjet 3820 and my method is to select "print" then I use the drop down functions to go to "printer features" and select "draft" under "print quality." I'm assuming this is using less ink as the quality of the type is definitely worse. Anyone know of a better way to save ink? Or is this the best way for basic essays etc.?

Phillip Jones, C.E.T.

unread,
Feb 1, 2010, 9:19:14 AM2/1/10
to
Since your using HP printer this should work:

Open Print menu:

next click on button copies and pages. scroll down to paper type and
quality.

when window opens up, in middle of menu you should see three items
Paper type, Color Options and Ink.

There is slider to adjust the amount of ink. normally it is set for
about 75% (doesn't show percentages just tick marks). I have mine set at
50% and is more than adequate.

---------------

I sure will hate the thoughts of replacing my old 990cse, HP has broke
down and adopted Epson's model where the print heads are in the machine,
and not the cartridge. If head get clogged up then you have to throw
away the machine. in my 990cse the heads are in the cartridge and head
get clogged take it back to where you bought and get a new one.
And the cartridges on the new one are little tiny things be luck to get
30 pages out of just one. Ahh. what we pay for progress.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net http://www.vpea.org
mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

John McGhie

unread,
Feb 2, 2010, 1:03:42 AM2/2/10
to
"Draft" in Word will not use less ink.

Draft in the HP Printer Driver prints only a quarter of the "dots" so it
uses only a quarter of the ink.

"Draft" mode in Word is a power-saving view that makes the computer run
faster by doing less work drawing the "pretty bits" of the display. Very
good for long documents, but it does not use less ink.

Cheers

On 1/02/10 6:30 PM, in article 59bb2...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"edk...@officeformac.com" <edk...@officeformac.com> wrote:

This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless you intend to pay!

--

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:jo...@mcghie.name


Phillip Jones, C.E.T.

unread,
Feb 2, 2010, 11:49:07 AM2/2/10
to
To actually use less ink:

Print menu > click on pages and copies wait for drop down selection of
choices > click on paper type/Quality > look for button or tab *Ink* >
Click > adjust slider normally set for 75% 50% will do nicely.

YMMV, may need to set lighter or darker for your taste. Note the more
ink the longer you have to wait for it to dry.

This is for HP Inkjets only.

--

edk...@officeformac.com

unread,
Feb 2, 2010, 11:35:59 PM2/2/10
to
Thanks for the replies! I think the problem is with the model printer I have I am not getting the paper/type quality drop down under the print menu. I have a printer features option and through there you can change the "output control" for a series selections. There is an option to change black density, I'm gonna experiment with this and see if it works.

I know what everyone is talking about though with the paper/type quality. That's what I used to do and that's what works when I hook up to my roommates newer printer wirelessly, however ever since buying this new mac laptop, my HP deskjet 3820 does not have that option in the print menu.

For those of you keeping track here are the options available after I hit print on word and then the click on the "Copies and Pages" drop down menu for my HP Deskjet 3820:

Copies and Pages
Microsoft Word
Layout
Color Matching
Paper Handling
Cover Page
Scheduler
Printer Features
Supply Levels
Summary

Thanks for the tip on drafts as well!

Rob Schneider

unread,
Feb 3, 2010, 2:35:34 AM2/3/10
to
Have you checked HP's web site to see if they have an updated printer
driver for Mac? Might want to do that if not.


--rms

www.rmschneider.com

Deborah Cooper

unread,
Oct 5, 2010, 3:00:52 PM10/5/10
to
What about using less ink with Aperture. I need to print out photos for a layout and do not need a good quality print just now.

> On Monday, February 01, 2010 2:30 AM edkzi wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
> Processor: Intel
>

> I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to use less ink (especially black ink) when I am not concerned about the quality of the the print. I have an HP Deskjet 3820 and my method is to select &quot;print&quot; then I use the drop down functions to go to &quot;printer features&quot; and select &quot;draft&quot; under &quot;print quality.&quot; I am assuming this is using less ink as the quality of the type is definitely worse. Anyone know of a better way to save ink? Or is this the best way for basic essays etc.?


>> On Monday, February 01, 2010 9:19 AM Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

>> Since your using HP printer this should work:
>>
>> Open Print menu:
>>
>> next click on button copies and pages. scroll down to paper type and
>> quality.
>>
>> when window opens up, in middle of menu you should see three items
>> Paper type, Color Options and Ink.
>>
>> There is slider to adjust the amount of ink. normally it is set for

>> about 75% (does not show percentages just tick marks). I have mine set at


>> 50% and is more than adequate.
>>
>> ---------------
>>
>> I sure will hate the thoughts of replacing my old 990cse, HP has broke
>> down and adopted Epson's model where the print heads are in the machine,
>> and not the cartridge. If head get clogged up then you have to throw
>> away the machine. in my 990cse the heads are in the cartridge and head
>> get clogged take it back to where you bought and get a new one.
>> And the cartridges on the new one are little tiny things be luck to get
>> 30 pages out of just one. Ahh. what we pay for progress.
>>
>>

>> --
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it is Fixed, Don't Break it"


>>> On Tuesday, February 02, 2010 1:03 AM John McGhie wrote:

>>> "Draft" in Word will not use less ink.
>>>
>>> Draft in the HP Printer Driver prints only a quarter of the "dots" so it
>>> uses only a quarter of the ink.
>>>
>>> "Draft" mode in Word is a power-saving view that makes the computer run
>>> faster by doing less work drawing the "pretty bits" of the display. Very
>>> good for long documents, but it does not use less ink.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> On 1/02/10 6:30 PM, in article 59bb2...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>>>
>>>

>>> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>>> matters unless you intend to pay!
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
>>> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:jo...@mcghie.name

>>>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it is Fixed, Don't Break it"


>>>>> On Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:35 PM edkzi wrote:

>>>>> Thanks for the replies! I think the problem is with the model printer I have I am not getting the paper/type quality drop down under the print menu. I have a printer features option and through there you can change the &quot;output control&quot; for a series selections. There is an option to change black density, I am gonna experiment with this and see if it works. <br><br>I know what everyone is talking about though with the paper/type quality. That's what I used to do and that is what works when I hook up to my roommates newer printer wirelessly, however ever since buying this new mac laptop, my HP deskjet 3820 does not have that option in the print menu. <br><br>For those of you keeping track here are the options available after I hit print on word and then the click on the &quot;Copies and Pages&quot; drop down menu for my HP Deskjet 3820: <br><br>Copies and Pages <br>
>>>>> Microsoft Word <br>
>>>>> Layout <br>
>>>>> Color Matching <br>
>>>>> Paper Handling <br>
>>>>> Cover Page <br>
>>>>> Scheduler <br>
>>>>> Printer Features <br>
>>>>> Supply Levels <br>
>>>>> Summary <br><br>Thanks for the tip on drafts as well!


>>>>>> On Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:35 AM Rob Schneider wrote:

>>>>>> Have you checked HP's web site to see if they have an updated printer
>>>>>> driver for Mac? Might want to do that if not.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --rms
>>>>>>
>>>>>> www.rmschneider.com


>>>>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
>>>>>> ASP.NET Caching Concepts
>>>>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/78de4d09-b013-48c0-8d4a-bedd68f675f5/aspnet-caching-concepts.aspx

Phillip Jones

unread,
Oct 5, 2010, 6:48:53 PM10/5/10
to
Try Printer Features.


>>>>>>> On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:00 PM Deborah Cooper wrote:

>>>>>>> What about using less ink with Aperture. I need to print out photos for a layout and do not need a good quality print just now.

>>>>>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice

>>>>>>> SharePoint Create List Add/Edit Form Web Part With Custom Toolbar and Attachments Option
>>>>>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bdae9c53-4661-4144-90f9-5d4a5dfa737c/sharepoint-create-list-addedit-form-web-part-with-custom-toolbar-and-attachments-option.aspx

So min Shin

unread,
Nov 16, 2020, 8:45:26 PM11/16/20
to
SOLVED!
FILE -> PRINT -> Go to "PRINT SETTING" -> click on "ADVANCED" -> check in a box where it says "TONER SAVER MODE" -> Click on "PRINT"
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages