Changing space between bullet & text

msm...@officeformac.com

Aug 25, 2008, 1:27:22 PM8/25/08
Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

When I create a bulleted list, it is automatically creating a tabbed space between the bullet and text. I went into the "Customize" part of Bullets and Numbering and changed the "tab space after" value to 0, but it didn't change anything. None of my custom changes seemed to make any difference. How do I fix this? Thanks.

CyberTaz

Aug 25, 2008, 4:55:30 PM8/25/08
Well, it's not a tab, it's an indent, and you can't have the bullet (which
is a formatting attribute) & the first character of the paragraph in the
same place. Even if it could, having no space between the bullet & the first
character of the paragraph would present a readability problem.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/25/08 1:27 PM, in article 59b57...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,

msm...@officeformac.com

Aug 25, 2008, 5:08:55 PM8/25/08
I simply want one character space between the bullet and the first character in the text. What I'm getting is about 5 character spaces.

Well, it's not a tab, it's an indent, and you can't have the bullet (which
> is a formatting attribute) & the first character of the paragraph in the
> same place. Even if it could, having no space between the bullet & the first
> character of the paragraph would present a readability problem.
>
> What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 8/25/08 1:27 PM, in article 59b57...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,

John McGhie

Aug 26, 2008, 7:16:28 AM8/26/08
Now for the really bad news :-)

You are working with a proportional-spacing word-processing application.
There is no such thing as "a character space" either :-)

In the modern fonts, applications and printers vary the width of "spaces" to
line things up. So you cannot depend on a "character space" being a set
measurement unless you work in a mono-spaced font (a typewriter font).

However, you can define your own bullet format, and if you do, you can
follow the bullet with a "space" instead of a tab. And if you do that, you
will get one space after each bullet.

And if you change to a monospaced font, that space will be the same width on
each line. Which is what you are after.

First, I would apply the style "List Bullet" to a paragraph. List Bullet is
a built-in style that you can customise, and it already has a bullet defined
in it. It will not appear in the document until you apply it to some text.

Then select the paragraph and go into
Format>Style>Modify>Format>Numbering... (A bullet is simply a special case
of "number" to Word).

Now, change the Type to "Outline Numbered". Outline numbering has advanced
settings that are not available in the other kinds.

Choose a pattern (any one, but it is best to choose a bulleted pattern so
you do not upset any of the other definitions that may be in use for
something else in your document).

Now, at the bottom left corner of that dialog, you will see a blue
down-arrow. Click it to reveal the advanced settings, and set Follow Number
With to "Space".

Make any other settings you want (for example, go into Format>Font and
specify a monospaced font) and OK your way out.

Apply that style to any text you want with spaced bullets.

There: Job's done.

Cheers

On 26/08/08 7:08 AM, in article 59b57...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"msm...@officeformac.com" <msm...@officeformac.com> wrote:

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia. mailto:jo...@mcghie.name

CyberTaz

Aug 26, 2008, 5:56:58 PM8/26/08
If you're creating a "living" document that will have to endure over time &
survive revisions along the way pay close attention to the advice from John.

OTOH, if that isn't the case you were headed in the right direction - You
just took a wrong turn (or stopped before you got to the final destination).
In the same dialog directly below where you changed the Tab setting there is
a setting for Text Position Indent. Set that to approximately .125 - .250
greater than the Bullet Position Indent.

Alternatively, you can use the Hanging Indent marker (lower triangle) on the
Ruler Bar to make the adjustment.

HTH |:>)

Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/25/08 5:08 PM, in article 59b57...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,

dwri...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2019, 8:36:31 PM1/12/19
On Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 7:16:28 AM UTC-4, John McGhie wrote:
> Now for the really bad news :-)
>
> You are working with a proportional-spacing word-processing application.
> There is no such thing as "a character space" either :-)

You've got to be kidding. The "space" character of the font used to create the bullet, or text. Microsoft Word 2007 has an option specifically to insert a "Tab" or a "Space" following the bullet.

Ewelina Robaczek

Jul 30, 2020, 3:39:12 AM7/30/20
That really sucks. Also can't solve it other than with a dash instead of a bullet.

Stu Nami

Oct 8, 2020, 12:50:26 PM10/8/20
FORMAT OPTIONS/TEXT FITTING/INDENTATION/SPECIAL change the value and the bullets will move closer to text

Joyce Zahacy

Mar 23, 2021, 12:38:28 PM3/23/21
Right click on the text box and select Format Options
Under Text Fitting change the Indentation to .05 (or whatever you want)
Ensure the Special field shows 'Hanging' and decrease that to .10 (or .05 more than your Indentation)
Copy the format to the other text boxes

--
If you have received this email in error, please let me know by return
email so I can make sure it doesn't happen again. Because emails can

We like to keep people up to
date with information about new products and services at ATB or changes
that could affect you. You can check out more about ATB and CASL at
http://www.atb.com/important-information/privacy-security/Pages/ATB-and-CASL.aspx
<http://www.atb.com/important-information/privacy-security/Pages/ATB-and-CASL.aspx

If you would like to unsubscribe from our updates, please use this URL -
http://www.atb.com/important-information/privacy-security/Pages/unsubscribe.aspx