Audio Notes from Notebook View documents won't play

Merle Wiese

May 10, 2005, 2:39:19 PM5/10/05
Hello and help

I have a PowerBook G4 512 1.5ghz, Microsoft Word for Mac 2004, Version 11.1

The audio notes in my notebook view documents won't produce sound. I can
see that the notes are there, when I export them the exported files won't
play either. I have tried all 3 audio formats and several quality levels,
none of them work. I have also reinstalled word and the patches. I have also
looked into the sound properties in system preferences. The internal
microphone and speakers are selected and they are at appropriate levels, and
I can listen to Itunes so I know the audio on the laptop is functioning.
Does anyone have any ideas?
It used to work just great, I have no idea what I may have done to cause
this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

--
Thanks
Merle D Wiese

JE McGimpsey

May 10, 2005, 6:02:36 PM5/10/05
In article <BEA66A07.73F1%mdw...@mchsi.com>,
Merle Wiese <mdw...@mchsi.com> wrote:

First, reinstalling, especially without running Remove Office
application first, almost never is a good MacOffice solution. Unlike
Windows installations, installed applications almost never corrupt (and
usually it's the registry on WinTels, not the application itself).

What do you mean by "won't produce sound"? Does the "Record Status"
control indicate "Recording" when you click Record? Is the input level
indicator responding appropriately during recording? Does the File Size
indicator grow when you record? After recording, does the timeline
slider update when you click Play, but no sound comes out?

Are you sure you actually recorded anything? If the input slider was set
too low, there may be nothing recorded to play back (the input slider in
the toolbar controls the same level as in System Prefs).

Merle Wiese

May 10, 2005, 7:06:46 PM5/10/05
On 5/10/05 5:02 PM, in article
jemcgimpsey-19CA...@msnews.microsoft.com, "JE McGimpsey"
<jemcg...@mvps.org> wrote:

Thanks I will uninstall then reinstall next.

re: What do you mean by "won't produce sound"?

The recording status show that it is recording I have the level up so that
it is peaking at 75% of scale. And as I am playing the file on my laptop it
shows the slider and the times changing. I can play the file on my buddy's
laptop so I know that it's recording.
I did go to the system preferences to check and they are at the same levels.
Btw: I REALLY appreciate the help!

Thank you

Beth Rosengard

May 11, 2005, 6:56:03 PM5/11/05
Hi Merle,

See here for tips on this:
<http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/RemoveReinstall.htm>
(If using Safari, hit Refresh once or twice; better yet, use another
browser.)

--
***Please always reply to the newsgroup!***

Beth Rosengard
MacOffice MVP

Mac Word FAQ: <http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/index.htm>
(If using Safari, hit Refresh once or twice ­ or use another browser.)
Entourage Help Page: <http://www.entourage.mvps.org>

On 5/10/05 4:06 PM, in article BEA6A8B6.B5A9%mdw...@mchsi.com, "Merle

Merle Wiese

May 21, 2005, 6:17:05 PM5/21/05
On 5/10/05 6:06 PM, in article BEA6A8B6.B5A9%mdw...@mchsi.com, "Merle
Wiese" <mdw...@mchsi.com> wrote:

I uninstalled Office 2004 and reinstalled it, no change. By chance I found
that the QT player wasn't working, and that I couldn't open any native Mac
help files. The last thing gave me the clue I needed. I had previously
purchased a copy of Tiger, I really didn't want to install it until I had
the problem fixed so as not to complicate the troubleshooting. After I
noticed that I couldn't open any native Mac help files, I thought it maybe
had something to do with the OS.

I installed Tiger and now everything works as it should. THANK GOD!!!

Now I can finally get back to using my computer as the tool it was designed
to be instead of trying to fix it! I guess a little problem every once in a
while is a good reminder of why I left the world of windows and all of its
MANY problems!

Thanks to all who read this hoping to possibly help me.
Merle