grey highlight on page numbers and table of contents

Vegard Høyvik

Nov 9, 2001, 2:52:17 AM11/9/01
suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.

Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
pretty!

- - -
regards vegard

John McGhie [MVP]

Nov 9, 2001, 5:03:01 AM11/9/01
Hi Veygard

Yes, you have turned on Field Shading.

Personally I leave it that way, because I like to see when things are being
produced by fields.

However if you don't like it, go to Word>Preferences>View and change the
selection in the Field Shading box.

Hope this helps

On 9/11/01 6:52 PM, in article B81149C1.123%veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no,
"Vegard Høyvik" <veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no> wrote:

--
Please post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP: Word for Macintosh and Word for Windows
Consultant Technical Writer
<jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
+61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs

jjosep...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2013, 9:27:17 PM7/17/13
John McGhie solved my same problem. Thanks!

chriss...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2013, 4:31:18 AM9/8/13
Thanks a bunch. helped me too

slker...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2013, 5:07:32 PM9/15/13
On Friday, November 9, 2001 2:54:21 AM UTC-5, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
Helped me too!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!

kmo...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2013, 2:29:06 AM10/15/13
Thanks !!!

adfr...@ncsu.edu

Oct 25, 2013, 7:57:03 PM10/25/13
On Friday, November 9, 2001 2:54:21 AM UTC-5, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
thanks

Latarnik

Nov 18, 2013, 1:01:02 AM11/18/13
In my texts I am getting grey shadow around all the words and photos, regardless of settings at the preferences. I do not know how to get rid of it?
Latarnik

kocsi...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2014, 7:37:42 PM2/3/14
Thank you!!!

slker...@gmail.com

May 19, 2014, 1:09:09 PM5/19/14
Thank you!!!

theoth...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2014, 1:08:14 PM7/18/14
On Friday, November 9, 2001 2:54:21 AM UTC-5, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
Thanks John McGhie! That's what I needed to know!

rias...@mail.rmu.edu

Nov 6, 2014, 10:29:30 PM11/6/14
On Friday, November 9, 2001 5:09:17 AM UTC-5, John McGhie [MVP] wrote:
Thanks solved my pb.

alvarado...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2014, 3:41:16 PM12/8/14
Wow! 13 Years later and this post is STILL helping others! Thanks! I thought I was going crazy!!!!

violet.c...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2014, 7:20:46 PM12/10/14
Thank youuuuu :) The grey was very annoying. Helped me as well.

andrew....@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2015, 8:54:21 PM1/3/15
Helped me too :)

yakup.1...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2015, 6:24:19 AM1/11/15
microsoft office kitapaları 15 fazla teklink
bütün konuları içermektedir
indirmek için linkler
http://bc.vc/hrYNcA
veya
http://bc.vc/itE1Hl
indire bilirsiniz yüzde yüz memlun kalacaksınıs

yakup.1...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2015, 6:24:34 AM1/11/15

hkr...@york.ac.uk

Feb 6, 2015, 5:32:26 AM2/6/15
John you are my hero! It has worked a treat, I thank you immensely from the bottom of my heart. Kind regards!

that...@slu.edu

Feb 17, 2015, 3:59:42 PM2/17/15
This just helped us! Thanks!

nicole...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 8:34:19 PM3/3/15
Thank you!!

maxence...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2015, 4:04:55 AM4/9/15
Thanks! It saved me from becoming crazy

gerryh...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 5:23:25 AM4/16/15
Thanks! So glad someone solved this! :)

moniqueclai...@gmail.com

May 3, 2015, 10:17:12 PM5/3/15
Thank you so much for posting everyone!! Hallelujah! Why didn't I google this 3 years ago? Today is a good day.

tewh...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2015, 5:31:17 PM6/1/15
Thanks so much, this is an answer to a week long dilemma!

rainb0...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2015, 3:30:09 AM6/25/15
Thank you! :)

mich...@remerge.io

Jun 27, 2015, 9:47:18 AM6/27/15
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 11:09:17 AM UTC+1, John McGhie [MVP] wrote:
Helped me too, many thanks!

aliceg...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2015, 4:01:51 PM10/8/15
Brill, thanks!

smit...@umn.edu

Oct 12, 2015, 9:01:43 PM10/12/15
Thanks!!!

giecy....@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2015, 5:35:31 AM11/3/15
Solved my problem too, thanks heaps.

jaj...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2015, 1:30:23 PM12/9/15
Thanks, John! Solve my problem as well... What a relief!

tb.be...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2015, 12:48:45 PM12/22/15
Op vrijdag 9 november 2001 02:52:17 UTC-5 schreef Vegard Høyvik:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

Haha this threat still fixes problems! thaaanks!

audrey...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2016, 9:39:52 AM2/6/16
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 6:03:01 PM UTC+8, John McGhie [MVP] wrote:
> Hi Veygard
>
> Yes, you have turned on Field Shading.
>
> Personally I leave it that way, because I like to see when things are being
> produced by fields.
>
> However if you don't like it, go to Word>Preferences>View and change the
> selection in the Field Shading box.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On 9/11/01 6:52 PM, in article B81149C1.123%veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no,
> "Vegard Høyvik" <veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no> wrote:
>
> > suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> > NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> > x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
> >
> > Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> > pretty!
> >
> > - - -
> > regards vegard
> >

> --
> Please post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP: Word for Macintosh and Word for Windows
> Consultant Technical Writer
> <jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
> +61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs

Hey, thanks for the help! Been trying to figure out how to remove it for several minutes now.

susanjm...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2016, 4:39:40 PM2/19/16
On Thursday, November 8, 2001 at 11:52:17 PM UTC-8, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

Thank you! Your response answered my question 15 years later.

Susan

alliso...@smus.ca

Mar 19, 2016, 1:47:19 AM3/19/16
On Thursday, 8 November 2001 23:52:17 UTC-8, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

This post just saved my Masters project. Thank you!!!!

marthaa...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2016, 2:23:01 AM4/14/16
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 1:52:17 AM UTC-6, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

I was losing my mind. Thank you!

sumit...@live.in

May 30, 2016, 11:14:46 PM5/30/16
Thanks man. That helped.

lucip...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2016, 5:16:09 PM6/10/16
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 5:03:01 AM UTC-5, John McGhie [MVP] wrote:
> Hi Veygard
>
> Yes, you have turned on Field Shading.
>
> Personally I leave it that way, because I like to see when things are being
> produced by fields.
>
> However if you don't like it, go to Word>Preferences>View and change the
> selection in the Field Shading box.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On 9/11/01 6:52 PM, in article B81149C1.123%veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no,
> "Vegard Høyvik" <veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no> wrote:
>
> > suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> > NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> > x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
> >
> > Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> > pretty!
> >
> > - - -
> > regards vegard
> >

> --
> Please post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP: Word for Macintosh and Word for Windows
> Consultant Technical Writer
> <jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
> +61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs

thank you!!

dollie...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2016, 12:58:14 AM6/11/16
This helped a lot! Thanks!

potterr...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2016, 8:51:38 AM6/19/16
On Friday, 9 November 2001 07:52:17 UTC, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

Thank you!

katar...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2016, 3:14:03 AM7/17/16
On Tool Bar Click on TOOLS - Click on Options - Click on View Tab - Under "Field Shading" change it to "Never"

arto....@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2016, 9:09:48 AM11/9/16
thank you so much, I was almost having a heart attack :(

anas.a...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2016, 6:15:40 AM12/1/16
thanks. :)

vishaal...@teachforindia.org

Dec 13, 2016, 11:32:35 PM12/13/16
Worked like a charm, thanks you so much John.

lara.dani...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2017, 3:14:14 PM2/9/17
sexta-feira, 9 de Novembro de 2001 às 07:52:17 UTC, Vegard Høyvik escreveu:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

@ John McGhie [MVP]
15+ years and counting!
Thanks.

jbashl...@email.campbell.edu

Feb 15, 2017, 10:31:10 AM2/15/17
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 5:03:01 AM UTC-5, John McGhie [MVP] wrote:
> Hi Veygard
>
> Yes, you have turned on Field Shading.
>
> Personally I leave it that way, because I like to see when things are being
> produced by fields.
>
> However if you don't like it, go to Word>Preferences>View and change the
> selection in the Field Shading box.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On 9/11/01 6:52 PM, in article B81149C1.123%veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no,
> "Vegard Høyvik" <veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no> wrote:
>
> > suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> > NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> > x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
> >
> > Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> > pretty!
> >
> > - - -
> > regards vegard
> >

> --
> Please post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP: Word for Macintosh and Word for Windows
> Consultant Technical Writer
> <jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
> +61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs

You are the man

oaa...@alaska.edu

Mar 9, 2017, 3:09:31 AM3/9/17
On Thursday, November 8, 2001 at 10:52:17 PM UTC-9, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

You rock. thank you

joseph....@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2017, 5:32:32 PM3/24/17
John McGhvie, this solved that same issue for me.

eve.p...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2017, 7:29:49 PM4/28/17
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 6:52:17 PM UTC+11, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

I can't find field shading in View. My essay has greyed out page numbers only.

mcguigan...@gmail.com

May 9, 2017, 7:22:07 PM5/9/17
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 6:52:17 PM UTC+11, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

You're a legend John!

ptdim...@gmail.com

May 16, 2017, 5:46:21 PM5/16/17
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 2:52:17 AM UTC-5, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

lol pretty amazing to see this post helping people (me included now) for so many years. I DID NOT turn field chasing on intentionally - how that happened, I may never know. But of course turning it off saved the day. Thanks!

k8m...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2017, 7:42:58 PM6/4/17
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 9:03:01 PM UTC+11, John McGhie [MVP] wrote:
> Hi Veygard
>
> Yes, you have turned on Field Shading.
>
> Personally I leave it that way, because I like to see when things are being
> produced by fields.
>
> However if you don't like it, go to Word>Preferences>View and change the
> selection in the Field Shading box.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On 9/11/01 6:52 PM, in article B81149C1.123%veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no,
> "Vegard Høyvik" <veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no> wrote:
>
> > suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> > NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> > x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
> >
> > Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> > pretty!
> >
> > - - -
> > regards vegard
> >

> --
> Please post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP: Word for Macintosh and Word for Windows
> Consultant Technical Writer
> <jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
> +61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs

John McGhie. You solved my problem and stopped my brain from frying!

rhaine....@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2017, 8:48:57 PM10/6/17
John, you are a true hero. 16 years later and you are still changing lives with your wisdom.

cfmo...@ualberta.ca

Nov 4, 2017, 1:57:09 AM11/4/17
Thanks! I was going crazy. So helpful 16 years and counting!

:)

lva...@uic.edu

Nov 16, 2017, 11:27:59 PM11/16/17
On Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 12:57:09 AM UTC-5, cfmo...@ualberta.ca wrote:
> Thanks! I was going crazy. So helpful 16 years and counting!
>
> :)

OMG! THANK YOU!!!! you were absolutely as specific and clear as any person would want!!

juliasch...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2017, 7:55:50 AM11/26/17
thank you. I love you so much.

quint...@mymacewan.ca

Jan 30, 2018, 10:33:34 PM1/30/18
Thank you so much!!!

justinr...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2018, 1:56:07 PM2/3/18
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 2:52:17 AM UTC-5, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

Thanks for the help, that was really annoying.

kboye...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2018, 4:54:29 PM3/24/18
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 1:52:17 AM UTC-6, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

Thank You - that was driving me crazy!!!!!

nlbi...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2018, 7:16:07 PM4/11/18
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 5:03:01 AM UTC-5, John McGhie [MVP] wrote:
> Hi Veygard
>
> Yes, you have turned on Field Shading.
>
> Personally I leave it that way, because I like to see when things are being
> produced by fields.
>
> However if you don't like it, go to Word>Preferences>View and change the
> selection in the Field Shading box.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On 9/11/01 6:52 PM, in article B81149C1.123%veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no,
> "Vegard Høyvik" <veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no> wrote:
>
> > suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> > NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> > x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
> >
> > Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> > pretty!
> >
> > - - -
> > regards vegard
> >

> --
> Please post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP: Word for Macintosh and Word for Windows
> Consultant Technical Writer
> <jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
> +61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs

Yes!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much...I am so OCD this was driving me nuts!

djpu...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2018, 3:55:10 AM4/19/18

Thanks!!!

kades...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2018, 10:02:57 AM10/30/18
On Friday, November 9, 2001 at 7:52:17 AM UTC, Vegard Høyvik wrote:
> suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
>
> Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> pretty!
>
> - - -
> regards vegard

thanks so much for this I was panicking with my PhD dissertation when I saw the grey colour.

Wim Toremans

Oct 12, 2020, 1:30:18 PM10/12/20
On Friday, 9 November 2001 at 11:03:01 UTC+1, John McGhie [MVP] wrote:
> Hi Veygard
> Yes, you have turned on Field Shading.
> Personally I leave it that way, because I like to see when things are being
> produced by fields.
> However if you don't like it, go to Word>Preferences>View and change the
> selection in the Field Shading box.
> Hope this helps
> On 9/11/01 6:52 PM, in article B81149C1.123%veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no,
> "Vegard Høyvik" <veg...@bilderogbokstaver.no> wrote:
> > suddenly my page numbers get highlighted with a light grey color, but it is
> > NOT ordinary highlightening. Of course I hav tried that. When I insert "Page
> > x of y" in header only the numbers gets grey.
> >
> > Anyone who knows how to deal with this? I want it to go away, it is not
> > pretty!
> >
> > - - -
> > regards vegard
> >
> --
> Please post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP: Word for Macintosh and Word for Windows
> Consultant Technical Writer
> <jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
> +61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs

Nowadays, in Word for Office 365, this setting can be found under File > Options > Advanced. It's a dropdown in the 'Show Document Content' section. Who knows, it might help someone in 2024! :-)
Message has been deleted