Word 2004 Page Numbering Problem

Brian Crawford

Apr 28, 2008, 8:31:27 PM4/28/08
Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: PowerPC

My document has a title page and a table of contents (2 pages). I want
to start page numbering after the table of contents. After following
Word Help I did this: added a section break (next page) at bottom of
title page and added a section break (next page) after the table of
contents. Went to View -> Header and Footer to place page numbers in
footer. "Same as Previous" is set. I placed the cursor on the page I
want as page 1 and went to Insert -> (set alignment) (Show number on
first page is unchecked) -> Format -> Start At 1 -> OK -> OK.

Page 1 shows up on the page I want it to. The frustrating problem is
that page 1 also shows up on the title page and on the first page of the
table of contents where I do not want page numbers. Help! I've tried
section break (continuous) on the title page and after the table of
contents, but this messes up the formatting. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!

John McGhie

Apr 29, 2008, 8:48:25 AM4/29/08
Hi Brian:

"Same as Previous" is the problem. You need to turn that OFF.

Its function is to replicate the headers and footers throughout the
document. Any page numbering you add in Section 2 will indeed appear in
also appear in Section 1, if you have that set.

Each section break contains three headers and three footers (First Page,
Left Page, and Right Page).

With Same as Previous set, the Left Page footer will be the same as the Left
Page footer of the previous section. Turn it OFF if you want to make a
change to the footer in THIS section.

Also be careful of the "Start At" property in Insert>Page Number>Format...

That should be "1" in Section 2, and "Continue from previous section" in
every other section except the first.

Hang in there: Sections are complex until you get the hang of them!

Hope this helps

On 29/04/08 10:01 AM, in article
crawford.bd-CE26...@news.telus.net, "Brian Crawford"
<crawf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Nhulunbuy, NT, Australia. mailto:jo...@mcghie.name

Greg Parsons

May 13, 2008, 4:17:29 AM5/13/08
This was helpful John. I'm working through the same issue.
Is there a manual that tells you this kind of stuff?
I need help with Tables in a PhD dissertation too. :frown:

Greg Parsons

May 13, 2008, 4:25:30 AM5/13/08
I should have added, that I solved the problem with numbering with your helpful instructions, BUT the number at the bottom center of the first page means that it conflicts with my footnotes on the page (the number is behind the footnotes at least!).

John McGhie

May 13, 2008, 8:36:57 AM5/13/08
Hi Greg:

You are reading the manual, right here. Sorry: much of Mac Word 2008 is
currently undocumented.

And sorry again, I am running out of battery, but the answer to your
question is "Put your page number in the running footer, not in the page
text, and this problem will not occur."

One of the other people will be along in a moment to tell you how to do
that...

Cheers

On 13/05/08 6:25 PM, in article ee99...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Greg
Parsons" <pars...@aol.com> wrote:

Clive Huggan

May 13, 2008, 10:03:35 PM5/13/08
Hello Greg,

It appears you have page numbers applied using a text box (via Insert menu »
Page Numbers). Much better to use the header or footer. Doing so allows the
position to be better controlled and, for longer documents, makes it much
easier to control the formatting via styles, since this method inserts a
normal page number field (the appearance of which can be changed globally
via styles) rather than a text box (which can¹t be changed via styles).

To apply page numbers to headers or footers, choose View menu » Header and
footer » type up the header or footer and add the page number via the ³#²
button on the toolbar that appears.

Re your query on a manual for Word:Mac, some good sources are listed
(starting on page 21) in some notes on the way I use Word for the Mac,
titled "Bend Word to Your Will", which are available as a free download from
the Word MVPs' website
(http://word.mvps.org/Mac/Bend/BendWordToYourWill.html).

[Note: "Bend Word to your will" is designed to be used electronically and
most subjects are self-contained dictionary-style entries. It's important
to read the front end of the document -- especially pages 3 and 5 -- so you
can select some Word settings that will allow you to use the document
effectively. The notes don't yet cover Word 2008 but it's not difficult to
extrapolate them.]

Cheers,

Clive Huggan
Canberra, Australia
(My time zone is 5-11 hours different from the Americas and Europe, so my
follow-on responses to those regions can be delayed)

On 13/5/08 10:36 PM, in article C44FC181.14D11%jo...@mcghie.name, "John

jfiel...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2008, 6:54:02 AM7/9/08
On May 14, 3:03 am, Clive Huggan
> On 13/5/08 10:36 PM, in article C44FC181.14D11%j...@mcghie.name, "John

> McGhie" <j...@mcghie.name> wrote:
> > Hi Greg:
>
> > You are reading the manual, right here.  Sorry:  much of Mac Word 2008 is
> > currently undocumented.
>
> > And sorry again, I am running out of battery, but the answer to your
> > question is "Put your page number in the running footer, not in the page
> > text, and this problem will not occur."
> Hi guys am getting stuck with sections

how do i turn off the same as previous function, i need a document
with different sections and headers, is this possible bt turning off
same as previous

Also very simple but how do you add a title page

sorry if these are basic questions but am only just getting into word

thnaks

john

> > One of the other people will be along in a moment to tell you how to do
> > that...
>
> > Cheers
>

> > On 13/05/08 6:25 PM, in article ee99e2...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Greg

John McGhie

Jul 9, 2008, 11:51:40 AM7/9/08
Hi John:

For best service in here, demand your right to ask your own question :-)
Instead of tacking your question onto someone else's post, create a new one
of your own.

This means that we get your version information at the top of your question,
which in turn means that our answer will precisely fit YOUR circumstances.

On 9/07/08 6:54 PM, in article
7ef563d8-da12-4c87...@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com,
"jfiel...@gmail.com" <jfiel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also very simple but how do you add a title page

OK, that was a little "too" simple :-) I need to know what kind of title
page you need.

For a book, you have a Front Cover, a Coliform Page, a Title Page, an
Acknowledgements page and a Table of Contents.

For a Report, you need only the Front Cover (often called the Title Page), a
blank page, and a Table of Contents.

Let's do the Report first: that's simpler.

First, you need to set the document up for double-sided printing. I am
going to assume that you are starting with a blank document (i.e. No section
breaks yet). If that's not the case, I suggest that you remove the section
breaks from what you have.

That's because every section break you insert is a copy of the one below it.
So it pays to get the bottom section break in the document correct before
doing anything else. The bottom section break is the Default section break.
It actually sits below the very last paragraph mark in the document.
Because it's beyond the end of the text, you can never see it (but man, you
can feel its bite if you get it wrong!).

So with no section breaks, go into Format>Document>Page Setup and make sure
the Printer shown there is the one you are going to use and that the paper
size is the one the printer actually contains.

OK that and look at the margins tab. Chances are your publisher has told
you what margins to use. If not, for A4 paper I suggest 2.5 cm all round.
So Top, Bottom, Left, and Right margins should all be 2.5 cm.

Now, on of the things we need to do to set up for double-sided printing is
to set a "Binding Margin" -- space to accommodate the area where the staples
or binding will go. Your publisher may have told you what they want, if
not, use 1 cm. Word incorrectly calls this a "Gutter" measurement, so enter
1 cm in the gutter box.

Now: The Header and Footer "From Edge" setting. You have reserved a space
of 2.5 cm at the top and bottom of the sheet for the margin. For good
visual balance, you want to place the header and footer half way between the
edge of the text and the edge of the paper. The calculation is actually
quite complex if you want to get it exact. I am going to assume that you
are using a single-line header, in which case, the default value of 1.25 cm
is exactly what you want, so leave it alone. Word will automatically expand
the margins inwards to place it where you want it and it makes a pretty good
job of it.

Now, click into the Layout tab. We need to change several settings here to
set the document up for double-sided printing.

First: Change the "Section Start" to "Right Page". Unless, of course, you
are writing in a right-to-left language. Which in Word:Mac you can't.
Don't get us started... An English user normally picks up a book or report
in their left hand and flips the pages with their right. So we always want
the title and the start of each chapter to be on a right-hand (odd-numbered)
page.

Now, look in the Headers and Footers section of the dialog. We want to
check both "Different First Page" and "Different Odd and Even". This, more
than anything else, sets up your document for double-sided printing.

Each Section of a document can have up to three headers: Left Page, Right
Page, and First Page. And three footers: Left, Right, and First. If you
are printing double-sided, you must choose "Different Odd and Even" to place
your page number on the outside corner. Since you are doing a document
complicated enough to require a Title Page, you will also need "Different
First Page" We'll have more on that when we come to actually create the
headers and footers.

While we're in this dialog, check that "Vertical Alignment" is set to "Top".
Great confusion and embarrassment will await you if it's set to anything
else.

Important: Make sure that "Apply to" is set to "Whole Document". We're
setting the defaults for the entire document here.

Since we have done so much work, consider whether you might want to use
these settings for every document you create? If so, click the Default
button (normally, you would choose NOT to do this, because these settings
are for double-sided printing, and most of your documents will not be like
that).

Click OK.

Now: Here's the answer to your question :-)

You need to create the text you want to print on the title page. Just type
it in, then format it the way you want it to look. It is normal to place
the Title one-third of the way down the page, and to use a font somewhere
between 20 and 24 points.

The actual process is a bit different, depending on which version of Word
you are using. Since you added your question to someone else's, I did not
get that information, so if you want a specific answer, please tell me.

Now: Below the text you want to appear on the Title Page, insert a Section
Break.

Type the heading "Table of Contents". We'll put the actual TOC in later,
but for now we need only a place-holder for it.

Below the heading, add a second section break. Notice you don't have to do
anything to these section breaks? That's why we put so much work into the
first one: so all of the rest will be correct.

Below that second section break, type the Heading "Chapter 1". That's just
another place-holder so we can see what we are doing :-)

Now we need to set the headers and footers up.

The Title page is correct :-) We don't want a header or a footer or a page
number on the title page.

Click after the first section break, and add three page-breaks. We will
take these out later, but now we need to create a first page, a right page,
and a left page, so that we can see what we are doing.

Click in the first page of the second section and go to View>Header and
Footer. You will see a "Same as previous" indication. Remove it (you will
have to look in the Word help to see how: the method varies depending on
Word version).

Go to the next header and footer and do the same, and the next one and
remove Same as previous there too. You do not want to replicate ANY of your
headers onto the Title Page, so cancel all three.

Now go to the footer, and do the same: unlink all three.

Now, go back to the FIRST Footer, and insert a page number on the right hand
bottom corner. We are in the "Front Matter" section of the document here,
so old-fashioned publishers insist on lower-case Roman page numbers here.
Readers never notice, so stick with Arabic numbers until someone complains,
then ask again and we'll tell you how.

Move to the next page and insert another page number, this time in the LEFT
bottom corner. Move to the next page and insert your third page number in
the RIGHT bottom corner.

In the FIRST Header, type nothing. It is normal to have a Chapter Title or
in this case the Table of Contents heading on the first page, inserting a
header above it looks silly, so don't.

Go to the next page. This is your LEFT page header, so type what you want
to see in there. And the next page, and this time type what you want to see
at the top of each RIGHT page.

That will keep you busy for a minute or two :-) Now, come back and tell me
whether your document is a "Book" or a "Report" (in other words, does it
have just sections, or both Chapters and Sections?).

Then I can tell you how to set things up in the next section. For now, the
headers and footers are going to replicate from the section you have just
done. That may be appropriate, but probably not.

Leave the three page breaks we added in there for now, so you can see all
three headers and footers. When we set up the next section, we'll copy them
into there so you can see what you are doing.

For most purposes, three sections is all you need, even for a book. But I
need some more information from you first.

Hope this helps

Sydney, Australia. mailto:jo...@mcghie.name