Trying to delete ghost line!

rrob...@officeformac.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:08:11 PM3/7/09
Version: 2004
Processor: Power PC

Hi,

I'm having a weird issue with Word 2004 (v. 11.5.3). I created a horizontal line (by typing ---) a few days ago to divide up two parts of a document I was working on. I then attempted to delete the line but it replicated itself instead. I finally managed to delete one of the lines (through a complete fluke; I never actually figured out how to do it), but the other remained. I scoured the help and asked the office assistant, but neither gave me an answer that worked.

So, I copied and pasted my text into a new document, making sure to NOT copy the line. That seemed to work. Or so I thought. The next time I opened up the new document there was that line, back again.

Oh, and it seems to work pretty strangely. If I put my curser at the beginning of the text just after the line and press delete, my text goes up to the paragraph before the line, and the line jumps down to the end of the paragraph that I just moved.

Can anybody tell me how to delete this strange ghost line?

Thanks!

rrob...@officeformac.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:55:55 PM3/7/09
thank! that worked!

djo...@ithaca.edu

Mar 16, 2009, 5:27:57 PM3/16/09

I have the same darn problem right now! I have no idea how to get it
to go away. It's on a resume.

rrob...@officeformac.com

Mar 16, 2009, 6:03:56 PM3/16/09
> I have the same darn problem right now! I have no idea how to get it
> to go away. It's on a resume.

Did you try the solution that was suggested above? It worked for me... if it doesn't work for you, I don't know what else could be causing it...

mar...@officeformac.com

Mar 17, 2009, 4:20:50 PM3/17/09
I can't tell you how GRATEFUL I am for answering this question!!! It has been driving me crazy too!! Thanks so much.

nora...@gmail.com

May 13, 2014, 4:05:09 PM5/13/14
On Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:20:50 PM UTC-5, mar...@officeformac.com wrote:
> I can't tell you how GRATEFUL I am for answering this question!!! It has been driving me crazy too!! Thanks so much.

OK, WHAT worked!!! I'm trying to find the answer to this, and the answer seems to be MISSING. I'm pulling my !@#%!$#% hair out here. How do you get rid of the ghost line??????

Patty Winter

May 13, 2014, 4:56:47 PM5/13/14

In article <0e8c277a-36f5-44ca...@googlegroups.com>,
I Googled for this subject line and found the following posting that,
for some reason, is not in Google's own archive of this thread:

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Mac/microsoft.public.mac.office.word/2009-03/msg00087.html

Patty

nora...@gmail.com

May 13, 2014, 6:39:45 PM5/13/14
Thank you, Patty. I was melting down today, and I was about over the edge with yet another technical glitch to jump over. Much appreciated!

jelle....@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 3:37:09 AM2/26/15
This is the solution:
What you need to know is that the automatic feature you used to create the
"line" actually applies a formatting attribute - a bottom Border which is
applied to the paragraph generated when you press return.

To remove it click in the paragraph where the line is, go to Format> Borders
& Shading then select a Border of None.

Thanks so much!

mark lawson

Feb 27, 2015, 9:59:22 AM2/27/15
i'm cumputure eliteret my spelling and gramer are the worst in the world can some body help me get on the write road if i need to buy somthang ok it will haft to waite un tell the 3-2-2015 please don't jerk me around my name is Mark please i'm kind of at your murcy please can you or some body help me

mark lawson

Feb 27, 2015, 10:15:38 AM2/27/15
ok i got no responce from aany body i take it not much hope if any body under stands my problem please call i live in the USA my state is Oregon i'm going to take me a nap feel free to call and we can talk my # 1-541-913-6955 i only speak and under stand Engleash again Thank's Mark

Caren Tjiang

Jun 18, 2021, 9:22:24 AM6/18/21
Hey guys!
I had the exact same problem with trying to get rid of this on my notes paper and was feeling very frustrated. My advice would be to just play around with the borders and shading tool. Click on the paragraph above the line, go to format, paragraph styles, borders and shading, and press reset. just keep playing around with it until the lines have gone! I felt amazing and like a genius after I got rid of mine. Good luck!!!!

M. T. Mendoza

Feb 24, 2022, 8:16:02 PM2/24/22
This worked for me! Many thanks

--
This is a student email of Assumption College and any files transmitted
with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual

Maryann Sulik

Jun 2, 2022, 10:57:42 AM6/2/22
I am having the same problem, but the borders/shading is grayed out and I can't get rid of the line. What else can I try? Thanks
Message has been deleted

Fabien Torbed

Nov 16, 2022, 3:33:31 AM11/16/22
this was driving me crazy, because when I went to Format > Paragraph Styles > Borders and Shading, there was the bottom border on, and when pressing it to nothing, the line was just jumping to the upper row, and so on and so on.
Even places where there was nothing, the bottom border was still enabled!!

But I found a solution.
Select the line, remove Bottom Border (yes the line jumps to the upper row), do it again.
And again. And again. Until you reach probably the source of this bug, and the line disapears. Et voilà!

Leila Summers

Jun 17, 2023, 1:26:18 PM6/17/23
It was also driving me crazy. It kept jumping to another place. Eventually, I selected the whole document, then reset the borders and shading and it disappeared!
Message has been deleted