Tab won't indent when using Word outline

S...@officeformac.com

Apr 15, 2010, 10:02:56 AM4/15/10
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Hi,
A couple months ago, my tab button stopped indenting in Word when I use an outline and want to go from a "I." to "a." for example. I've dealt with just clicking on the "indent" button on the formatting palatte, but it is just getting way too frustrating to do. Any ideas on what happened ("tab" and "shift-tab" was working fine when I first got the computer) and also how to correct it. Thanks. (step-by-step point and click directions would be helpful if possible). Thanks a million!

S...@officeformac.com

Apr 15, 2010, 10:11:06 AM4/15/10
Got my answer, please disregard. Sorry for any inconvenience.

codo...@officeformac.com

Apr 22, 2010, 11:33:16 AM4/22/10
Please post the answer; it will help me and other puzzled users.

Thanks

codo...@officeformac.com

Apr 22, 2010, 11:43:24 AM4/22/10
And here are the two shortcuts:

1. TAB: increases left indent

2. Shift-TAB: decreases left indent

codo...@officeformac.com

Apr 22, 2010, 11:41:55 AM4/22/10
Just got the answer:

1. Make sure that 'Automatic Numbered Lists' and 'Tabs & backspace set left indent' are checked in the 'AutoCorrect' dialog box under 'AutoFormat as You Type.'
2. You can access this box from Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoFormat As You Type.

David Contrada, Vermont Law

May 9, 2010, 11:56:00 AM5/9/10

Thank God for this post. I am the mellowest guy in the world, and was
about to break something.

denisep...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2012, 10:09:10 PM6/8/12
Amen! Just saved me a lot of time and heartache when I could ill-afford it! Thanks so much.

rywb...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2012, 4:47:31 PM11/29/12
Ooooh, that was pissing me off. Thanks

agma...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2013, 10:35:15 AM3/12/13
Both the automatic numbering and Tabs and backspace set at Indent boxes are checked and word is still not allowing me to create an outline properly using the TAB. Tab won't function at all. About to throw my mac. Help.

aimee...@gmail.com

May 18, 2013, 11:58:16 PM5/18/13
Thank you so much for the help! Initially it was hard to find the tabs. I went to the drop down menu > More Commands > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > made sure everything was checked.

michae...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2013, 1:40:35 PM9/23/13

Great! It works! Thanks!

darc...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2013, 12:24:01 PM10/20/13
Thanks for this post! I had the same problem

txh...@googlemail.com

Dec 7, 2013, 11:52:16 AM12/7/13
Hi Agma

I have exactly the same issue as you. Did you manage to find a solution. Please I'm losing my mind

cookj...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2014, 12:31:51 AM1/31/14
Thank you so much! This is what I needed!

davida...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2014, 8:14:24 PM3/16/14
On Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:02:56 AM UTC-5, S...@officeformac.com wrote:
Awesome! Thank you!

ec...@mymacplus.com

Sep 19, 2014, 11:28:42 AM9/19/14
On Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:41:55 AM UTC-5, codo...@officeformac.com wrote:
Thank you

mikko...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2014, 5:44:08 PM10/7/14
Thank you!! I've gone crazy over this.

wga...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2015, 11:57:55 PM6/13/15

Thanks a bunch for posting the answer. You just saved me from a later night :)

saeedsin...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2015, 11:09:34 AM9/11/15
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! This has been racking my nerves for sooooooooooooo long!!! :D

wor...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2015, 10:25:52 AM10/27/15
On Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 11:41:55 AM UTC-4, codo...@officeformac.com wrote:
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! This was driving me crazy!

dphi...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2015, 8:29:21 PM11/10/15
On Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 11:41:55 AM UTC-4, codo...@officeformac.com wrote:
I was going Nuts.
THANK YOU

tanne...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2016, 4:00:56 PM9/16/16
Thank you very much -

For those who have 2010:

File
>Proofing
>>AutoCorrect Options...(Button)
>>> Under "Automatically as you type)

Just a note for people that don't SHIFT + Tab will take you back an indent..

Best Regards

apet...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2016, 9:21:58 AM10/5/16
Thank you!!

fahrend...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2016, 12:46:22 PM10/12/16
I have office 2013 and made sure that box was checked and shift+tab still doesn't work as it keeps going forward as if I just pressed "tab" alone. Any ideas?

dyoun...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2016, 11:34:55 AM11/27/16
Thanks. Everyone else make sure you are clicking ok at the bottom afterwards.

odde...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2017, 11:42:40 AM2/15/17
this just happened to me so i tried pressing random buttons so try "esc" + "tab"

vaness...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2017, 11:51:19 AM2/20/17
On Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 10:02:56 AM UTC-4, S...@officeformac.com wrote:
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
>
> Hi,
>
> A couple months ago, my tab button stopped indenting in Word when I use an outline and want to go from a "I." to "a." for example. I've dealt with just clicking on the "indent" button on the formatting palatte, but it is just getting way too frustrating to do. Any ideas on what happened ("tab" and "shift-tab" was working fine when I first got the computer) and also how to correct it. Thanks. (step-by-step point and click directions would be helpful if possible). Thanks a million!

THANK YOU! I've been dealing with this nightmare for months!

raimi...@gmail.com

May 2, 2017, 8:06:58 PM5/2/17
On Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 7:02:56 AM UTC-7, S...@officeformac.com wrote:
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
>
> Hi,
>
> A couple months ago, my tab button stopped indenting in Word when I use an outline and want to go from a "I." to "a." for example. I've dealt with just clicking on the "indent" button on the formatting palatte, but it is just getting way too frustrating to do. Any ideas on what happened ("tab" and "shift-tab" was working fine when I first got the computer) and also how to correct it. Thanks. (step-by-step point and click directions would be helpful if possible). Thanks a million!

OMG THANK YOU. I'm in the middle of finals and don't need this extra stress. Haha WHEW.

lave...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2017, 1:45:46 PM6/30/17
On Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 9:02:56 AM UTC-5, S...@officeformac.com wrote:
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
>
> Hi,
>
> A couple months ago, my tab button stopped indenting in Word when I use an outline and want to go from a "I." to "a." for example. I've dealt with just clicking on the "indent" button on the formatting palatte, but it is just getting way too frustrating to do. Any ideas on what happened ("tab" and "shift-tab" was working fine when I first got the computer) and also how to correct it. Thanks. (step-by-step point and click directions would be helpful if possible). Thanks a million!

tHANKS VERY HELPFUL

ignac...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2017, 7:22:06 PM8/5/17
On Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 11:41:55 AM UTC-4, codo...@officeformac.com wrote:
THANKS!!

tabathar...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2018, 2:56:52 PM2/26/18
YES! Thank you! I do not know how this got turned off, but as a law student who does outlines daily, I was going crazy!

jenelle....@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2020, 1:47:38 PM4/26/20
This was so so helpful thank you!

James T

May 2, 2021, 11:54:57 PM5/2/21
Ugh, thank you for this...11 years later.

Aricia Leighton

Oct 9, 2021, 11:19:21 AM10/9/21
On Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 8:41:55 AM UTC-7, codo...@officeformac.com wrote:
> Just got the answer:
>
> 1. Make sure that 'Automatic Numbered Lists' and 'Tabs & backspace set left indent' are checked in the 'AutoCorrect' dialog box under 'AutoFormat as You Type.'
> 2. You can access this box from Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoFormat As You Type.
> > Please post the answer; it will help me and other puzzled users.
> >
> > Thanks

This is the BEST forum post I have ever found! It came up first in the Google Search and is still pertinent 11 years later. I have no idea why that became unchecked, but am so thankful to the first person that posted this quandary and the person who answered it. Very clear directions, instead of some of the convoluted ones you get.
Thank you

Samantha Decker

Oct 15, 2023, 1:37:01 PM10/15/23
On Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 11:41:55 AM UTC-4, codo...@officeformac.com wrote:
> Just got the answer:
>
> 1. Make sure that 'Automatic Numbered Lists' and 'Tabs & backspace set left indent' are checked in the 'AutoCorrect' dialog box under 'AutoFormat as You Type.'
> 2. You can access this box from Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoFormat As You Type.
> > Please post the answer; it will help me and other puzzled users.
> >
> > Thanks
that doesn't do ANYTHING!!! continues to not work with tab i am losing my mind