Hyperlink from Excel cell to Word paragraph

Karl

Feb 22, 2004, 6:20:10 PM2/22/04
I'm trying to hyperlink from an Excel cell to a particular paragraph
in a Word document. The Help Assistant says to tie the hyperlink to an
anchor point name in the Word document. I can get the link to go to
the Word file, but I'm having problems going to a unique paragraph
within the file. How do I create an "anchor point name" to the start
of the desired paragraph text?

JE McGimpsey

Feb 22, 2004, 7:25:13 PM2/22/04
Insert a bookmark at the "unique paragraph". Then add the bookmark's
name as an hyperlink anchor. For example, if the bookmark name is
"mybookmark" in the file "MyDoc.doc", then hyperlink to:

MyDoc.doc#mybookmark

(assuming the files in the same folder as your workbook - use the
hyperlink wizard to navigate to the Word doc.).

In article <f3477572.04022...@posting.google.com>,

Paul Berkowitz

Feb 22, 2004, 7:49:12 PM2/22/04
On 2/22/04 3:20 PM, in article
f3477572.04022...@posting.google.com, "Karl"
<forss...@verizon.net> wrote:

Put your cursor at the correct location in the document. In Insert menu,
select Bookmark. In the dialog that comes up, give it a name (e.g. "Boo")
which may or may not be related to the actual text there. Click OK. You do
not need to insert a Word Hyperlink unless you want it to stand out there.

In Excel, select the cell. Go to Insert/Hyperlink,

Click on the Document tab half way down. At the top click the Select button
and navigate to the Word file. At the bottom, type in the name of the
Bookmark ("Boo"). It _should_ work to click Locate button but it doesn't: I
get an error that Excel can't parse this type of file. (I get the same even
if I've created an anchored Hyperlink in Word.) Never mind - the Bookmark
name is good enough. Click OK.

In the cell there's now a hyperlink. Click it.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP Entourage

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Entourage you are using - 2001 or X.
It's often impossible to answer your questions otherwise.