Footer is cut off in Word to PDF conversions

Iris...@officeformac.com

Jun 25, 2008, 10:25:34 PM6/25/08
Version: v.X
Processor: Power PC

When I convert a Word document to PDF, text on the footer (2nd line) is cut off in the PDF document. Can't determine if this is a Word issue or Adobe issue, but either way, I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bras

Jun 26, 2008, 10:54:48 AM6/26/08

<Iris...@officeformac.com> wrote in message

Try to print and see if the footer is cut off too. Also go to file - print
and then use the OS feature to save as PDF and see what the result is there,
when you save as PDF using the OS feature, save the file with a PDF
extension behind the file name.

To me it sounds like an Adobe issue, it sounds like the second line of the
footer is outside the "printer" margins, creating a PDF is basically just a
print but then in digital format. Make sure when you make a PDF that the
page is set to letter (when you use letter) in the print dialog box. It's a
possiblility that your page to print to is set to legal orso.

Bras

John McGhie

Jun 27, 2008, 6:51:08 AM6/27/08
Pop into Format>Document and set your bottom margin larger.

The bottom margin needs to be large enough to accommodate the footer and the
margin. So:

If your footer is two lines, and it's in 12 point text, each line is 14
point high (assuming that Space before and after is 0 on the Footer
paragraph style).

Assume that you want the print image to end1 inch (72 pts) from the edge of
the paper, you need to set the bottom margin at 96 pts.

Hope this helps

On 26/06/08 11:55 AM, in article 59b52...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Iris...@officeformac.com" <Iris...@officeformac.com> wrote:

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia. mailto:jo...@mcghie.name

Tim Murray

Jun 29, 2008, 6:24:09 PM6/29/08
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:03:08 -0400, John McGhie wrote:
> Pop into Format>Document and set your bottom margin larger.
>
> The bottom margin needs to be large enough to accommodate the footer and the
> margin.

Actually a properly made PDF can be edge-to-edge. The physical printer might
cut it off, but on the screen, a PDF can include data edge to edge.

Tim Murray

Jun 30, 2008, 12:15:45 AM6/30/08

Oh, I see what you're saying about dimensions now. I thought you were saying
in effect that page content has a limit to how close it can be to the edge.
But in any case, the O.P. might have PDF drivers set up wrong.

Tim Murray

Jun 30, 2008, 12:22:37 AM6/30/08

How are you making your PDF? And if you're using the Adobe engine, what
version do you have?

The Adobe PDF instance can suddenly behave as though it's a physical printer
whose specifications are set by physical printer's PPD. The PPD that drives
the true Adobe PDF prints edge to edge. If suddenly your Adobe PDF instance
thinks it's (just as an example) a Hewlett-Packard 4050, it thinks it can't
print within a quarter inch of the edge, and content gets chopped off -- just
as if you had printed to that physical printer. This has been known to occur
even if you've set your Printer Setup > Format For to Adobe PDF.

John McGhie

Jun 30, 2008, 5:57:38 AM6/30/08
Hi Tim:

Yes. Normally, Word will simply push the text margin inwards to locate the
impression margin at the stated position. So if the document margin is too
small in Word, it will be ignored and Word will push the text inwards to
make it fit.

However, if the user has the wrong printer selected (or the wrong
measurements set if they are using a PDF Writer instead of a physical
printer) then Word does not know where the edge of the paper is, and cannot
do that.

Cheers

On 30/06/08 1:45 PM, in article
0001HW.C48DD631...@news.microsoft.com, "Tim Murray"
<no-...@thankyou.com> wrote:

thepassi...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2017, 3:24:54 PM4/12/17
The solution is to select A4 borderless on the page setup option.

kristin...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2017, 12:43:19 AM9/27/17
I was having the same issue and I stumbled upon a post elsewhere:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_mac/header-and-footers-disappear-when-i-save-as-a-pdf/139ae6c1-81e0-47af-a8a7-9f18090d478a?auth=1

A known issue with printing PDFs is that the default printed page usually has .5" margins. If your header and footer is close to the page edge, it may be clipped by these margins. I always create a custom borderless page size in OS X's File>Print dialog to get around this issue.
In Word, choose File>Page Setup.
Change the Paper Size dropdown to Manage Custom Sizes.
Click on the + sign to create a new page format.
Give it a name like Borderless Letter.
Change all margins to 0. OK out.
In the Finder, open System Preferences.
Choose Printers and Scanners.
Change Default paper size to Borderless Letter.
Now, by default, you'll print to a borderless page and your header and footer will be included.

I followed the above and I now don't have any issues with the header/footer not appearing when printing or saving as PDF.
Hope this helps.