Restart numbering changes indent

Snit

Jul 30, 2009, 1:01:31 AM7/30/09
OS X 10.5.7
MS Word 12.2.0
Intel iMac

Restarting numbering changes my left indent for some reason.

<http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/indent-move.mov>

I have reset the style multiple times - does the same thing. Every time I
have to fix the indentation. If it helps: Office 2007 does the same thing.

Any ideas?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

John McGhie

Jul 30, 2009, 6:25:22 AM7/30/09
You are attempting to "restart" a list that cannot be restarted.

So each time you try, Word changes the List Template for the type that CAN
be restarted, but that kind has different indents from the kind that is
attached to the style you are using.

First create a style of type LIST, and define the kind of numbering you
want.

Then create a style of kind PARAGRAPH, and define the formatting that you
want.

Then edit the paragraph style and set its NUMBER formatting to be the List
Style you just defined.

Then to apply the numbering, apply the paragraph style to the text. The
List style will come with it, and it will re-start without altering its
formatting.

Post back if you need more detail...

Cheers

On 30/07/09 3:01 PM, in article C696773B.3EB0C%use...@gallopinginsanity.com,
"Snit" <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:jo...@mcghie.name

Snit

Jul 30, 2009, 11:53:55 AM7/30/09
John McGhie stated in post C697B232.1B40%jo...@mcghie.name on 7/30/09 3:25
AM:

> You are attempting to "restart" a list that cannot be restarted.
>
> So each time you try, Word changes the List Template for the type that CAN
> be restarted, but that kind has different indents from the kind that is
> attached to the style you are using.
>
> First create a style of type LIST, and define the kind of numbering you
> want.
>
> Then create a style of kind PARAGRAPH, and define the formatting that you
> want.
>
> Then edit the paragraph style and set its NUMBER formatting to be the List
> Style you just defined.
>
> Then to apply the numbering, apply the paragraph style to the text. The
> List style will come with it, and it will re-start without altering its
> formatting.
>
> Post back if you need more detail...

I think I got it... thanks. Really appreciate it.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

John McGhie

Jul 31, 2009, 6:37:42 AM7/31/09
I am getting sillier as I get older :-)

I forgot to mention that Word has a set of built-in styles for the purpose.

The List Bullet to List Bullet 9 series all have bullets defined in them,
and the List Number to List Number 9 series all have numbering defined in
them.

You can use those styles for simple cases, and then you don't have to define
anything, simply change the formatting of the styles to be the formatting
you want.

The method I outlined is for cases when you can't use the built-in styles
(normally, because you are already using them for something else in the
document).

Sorry about that...

Cheers

On 31/07/09 1:53 AM, in article C6971023.3EC97%use...@gallopinginsanity.com,

Snit

Jul 31, 2009, 12:19:07 PM7/31/09
John McGhie stated in post C6990696.1C0C%jo...@mcghie.name on 7/31/09 3:37
AM:

> I am getting sillier as I get older :-)
>
> I forgot to mention that Word has a set of built-in styles for the purpose.
>
> The List Bullet to List Bullet 9 series all have bullets defined in them,
> and the List Number to List Number 9 series all have numbering defined in
> them.
>
> You can use those styles for simple cases, and then you don't have to define
> anything, simply change the formatting of the styles to be the formatting
> you want.
>
> The method I outlined is for cases when you can't use the built-in styles
> (normally, because you are already using them for something else in the
> document).
>
> Sorry about that...

That is two mistakes I have seen you make in as many days. I consider that
a breach of contract and am docking your pay 20%. :)

In all seriousness, thanks. Already have the other working and will not
fiddle with it now, but good to know there is an easier way if I need to do
this again. Really appreciate the assistance.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Clive Huggan

Jul 31, 2009, 6:30:35 PM7/31/09
On 31/7/09 8:37 PM, in article C6990696.1C0C%jo...@mcghie.name, "John McGhie"
<jo...@mcghie.name> wrote:

> I am getting sillier as I get older :-)

<snip>

Noted. :-|

Non-ephemerally.

CH
===

John McGhie

Jul 31, 2009, 8:06:14 PM7/31/09
{Giggle} You're right: definitely time to dock my pay :-)

Cheers

On 1/08/09 2:19 AM, in article C698678B.3F176%use...@gallopinginsanity.com,

jent...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2016, 1:53:26 PM6/28/16
All John says is true, but here is another thing that causes the symptom - someone modified your single-number list style indent level with the paragraph indents instead of with the 'Adjust list Indents' tool, as is proper. In that case, restarting the numbering will revert the list to its original indents and all you have to do is fix the indent correctly and Restart Numbering will work.

I just wanted to mention that in case you are forced to use a Microsoft list style like List Number, because the fix is so easy that it's worth trying before you create your own custom style :).

sesp...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2019, 5:29:10 AM1/28/19
Almost ten years later, this is still applicable. Thank you so much, easy explanation, great!!!

Thank you so much!

Regards,

S W

Apr 18, 2022, 5:36:59 AM4/18/22
On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 at 18:53:26 UTC+1, jent...@gmail.com wrote:
> All John says is true, but here is another thing that causes the symptom - someone modified your single-number list style indent level with the paragraph indents instead of with the 'Adjust list Indents' tool, as is proper. In that case, restarting the numbering will revert the list to its original indents and all you have to do is fix the indent correctly and Restart Numbering will work.
>
> I just wanted to mention that in case you are forced to use a Microsoft list style like List Number, because the fix is so easy that it's worth trying before you create your own custom style :).

Yesssss!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!