Number of rows/columns displayed in Excel object in Word

Carpetman

Mar 28, 2005, 8:27:19 PM3/28/05
How do I tell Word2004 for Mac how many rows/columns to display in an
embedded Excel worksheet?

When I edit the worksheet in Word2003 for PC, it opens a ’window’
within word so that I can drag the edges to display the number of
rows/columns that I want. It does not do this in Word2004 for Mac, but
opens the spreadsheet in Excel.

Are there any codes within word that say ’display cells a1 to z54’, or
whatever word does when it decides what cells it shoud display?

All the help files I’ve searched on ’size of object’ refer to scaling
the object. A 35 minute telephone call to Microsoft’s help line did
not get me any further towards a solution.

--
Posted using the http://www.macforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.macforumz.com/Word-Number-rows-columns-displayed-Excel-object-ftopict146423.html

Daiya Mitchell

Mar 29, 2005, 10:54:20 AM3/29/05
Haven't a clue, but also don't understand...

Is your problem that the embedded object does not display as you wish--or
that when you click to edit it, it shows too many cells in the editing
process?

On 3/28/05 5:27 PM, "Carpetman" wrote:

> How do I tell Word2004 for Mac how many rows/columns to display in an
> embedded Excel worksheet?
>
> When I edit the worksheet in Word2003 for PC, it opens a ‚window‚
> within word so that I can drag the edges to display the number of
> rows/columns that I want. It does not do this in Word2004 for Mac, but
> opens the spreadsheet in Excel.
>
> Are there any codes within word that say ‚display cells a1 to z54‚, or
> whatever word does when it decides what cells it shoud display?
>
> All the help files I‚ve searched on ‚size of object‚ refer to scaling
> the object. A 35 minute telephone call to Microsoft‚s help line did
> not get me any further towards a solution.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Carpetman

Mar 29, 2005, 6:02:40 PM3/29/05
Oops...

I should have said Word2004 for Mac defaults to 5 columns and 10 rows.

Carpetman

Mar 29, 2005, 6:02:25 PM3/29/05

OK, say I want to create a table that has 11 columns and 40 rows. I do
it in Excel because I can set up the maths and its easier (and more
reliable) to revise the data. The Excel spreadsheet exists as an
embedded object in Word because it sits in the flow of the text and it
all gets saved in one document (easier to copy and revise for the next
project).

When I insert an Excel Spreadsheet object in Word2004 for Mac it
defaults to displaying 10 columns and 5 rows, regardless of how many
cells are occupied in the spreadsheet. The other cells remain ’hidden’
when I view the spreadsheet as it is displayed in Word.

How do I tell Word to display the cells I want it to display?

My only work-around at present is to open the Word document in
Word2003 for PC, double click the object and drag the
"frame"/"window" to show the cells I want.

--
Posted using the http://www.macforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.macforumz.com/Word-Number-rows-columns-displayed-Excel-object-ftopict146423.html

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.macforumz.com/eform.php?p=575229

Stan Hadley

Mar 30, 2005, 2:03:03 PM3/30/05
I found that once you create the worksheet that you inserted (that is only
showing 10rowx5column) you double-click on it (to get into Excel), highlight
the area you want, copy (cmd-c), switch back to Word _without closing the
spreadsheet_, and pick Paste Special.../Unknown Object, then you will get
the cells you want showing in a second object. Then you can delete the
first, 10x5, one and you're set. The "Unknown Object" choice only shows up
if you have the Excel file still open.

Hope this helps,

Stan

On 3/29/05 6:02 PM, in article
2_575230_926475c9b60...@macforumz.com, "Carpetman"

Carpetman

Apr 4, 2005, 7:57:05 PM4/4/05

Stan,

Thanks for the workaround. It works but it is incredibly clunky.

An alternative approach is to construct the tables in separate
spreadsheets in Excel, then to paste special > Excel Spreadsheet
Objects into Word. But what happens if I want to add in a column
later? I’ll have to copy the spreadsheet out of word into excel, add
the column, copy and paste special back into word and delete the
previous version.

As far as coding is concerned, would it not be more elegant to link
the ’window/viewport’ to cells A1 to Z24 (or whatever) on the
spreadsheet object? You could even make different ’viewports’ for the
same spreadsheet object, which would be nice because you would not
have to link your data amongst a thousand-and-one different objects.

--
Posted using the http://www.macforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.macforumz.com/Word-Number-rows-columns-displayed-Excel-object-ftopict146423.html

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.macforumz.com/eform.php?p=576832

ja...@gardeneering.net

Oct 19, 2017, 10:46:44 AM10/19/17
hi-
after MONTHS of trying to figure out the same, i think ive found an answer!!!!
i bill in WORD, with an excel sheet embedded for calculations, which my predecessor designed. lines below a certain part of the excel window wouldn't print, even thought there was plenty of room at the bottom of the sheet.
quite by accident, all i did was left click once on the excel part, (so it kind of highlighted it but didn't take me all the way into excel sheet to edit), and then right click once- at bottom of options was " CROP", click on that, then immediately on the bottom line of the excel box where the little square is, and drag that down. that's it!!!!!!!! so excited!!!

kvu...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2017, 11:19:42 AM12/11/17
Here is how you may want to do it in MacOffice
• Insert/Object...
• choose "Excel sheet" click on button "From File..."
• choose the file, don't tick the box "Link to file", click OK
• click OK

inmye...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2019, 5:38:31 PM7/8/19
Thank you! This helped me today, 8 July 2019!!!

Timothy Balcaen

Feb 10, 2022, 6:33:38 AM2/10/22
Thank you for this!