How to remove background image from template?

Rob Stevenson

Oct 4, 2007, 5:32:06 PM10/4/07
Hello all,

This must be obvious, but not to me!

I started a new document using the business template called Quotations.
It has a sort of graphic image in the middle of the page as a
background. Because I have to fax this quote, I need to remove that
image. Nothing I've tried so far will work.

For starters, is that image a watermark? Or a background graphic?
Knowing what it's called might make it easier to find it in Help.

Also, one of the Help topics suggested using Format / Background, then
clicking No Fill. All that does is show the doc in Online Layout view.
When I return to Page View, the image is still there.

So how do I get rid of it?

Rob

Rob Stevenson

Oct 5, 2007, 9:59:40 AM10/5/07
In article <C32AE38F.2B399%onlygen...@com.cast.net>,
CyberTaz <onlygen...@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Clive is right about the main graphic being in the Header/Footer layer, but
> if you mean the one with the floppy disk graphic or the one with the fruits,
> the 'Softies' who put it together didn't even bother to Group the various
> components. Those are the only 2 I checked, but others may be slapped
> together the same inept manner. It will help to turn on the Drawing Toolbar
> & use the Select Objects tool to drag a marquee around all the elements so
> you can delete them all at once.

Thanks to both of you. Both replies were needed.

For anyone else facing this problem, turn on View / Headers and Footers,
then open the Drawing tools and use the Select tool to grab all the bits
you want to get rid of, then hit Delete. Voila!

It never occurred to me that I'd have to turn on Headers and Footers to
get to a background graphic. Silly me.

Rob

Clive Huggan

Oct 4, 2007, 6:02:22 PM10/4/07
Hello Rob,

I'm not familiar with that business template (nor any others; they're a bit
too crude for my liking). However, my guess is that the watermark is
inserted by a header. Try View menu => Header and Footer, then click below
the header: you may find that the graphic is selected, in which case you can
delete it.

If that's not the answer, keep coming back. Someone who knows this template
may well have the specific answer.

Cheers,

Clive Huggan
Canberra, Australia
(My time zone is 5-11 hours different from North America and Europe, so my
follow-on responses to those regions can be delayed)

On 5/10/07 7:32 AM, in article
rstevenson-05545...@msnews.microsoft.com, "Rob Stevenson"

CyberTaz

Oct 4, 2007, 6:38:07 PM10/4/07
Hi Rob -

I'm still not sure exactly which template you used - Quotation is a
categorical group containing 5 separate quotation templates. They all appear
to be put together pretty much the same way, though.

Clive is right about the main graphic being in the Header/Footer layer, but
if you mean the one with the floppy disk graphic or the one with the fruits,
the 'Softies' who put it together didn't even bother to Group the various
components. Those are the only 2 I checked, but others may be slapped
together the same inept manner. It will help to turn on the Drawing Toolbar
& use the Select Objects tool to drag a marquee around all the elements so
you can delete them all at once.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/4/07 5:32 PM, in article

Elliott Roper

Oct 5, 2007, 11:06:12 AM10/5/07
In article <rstevenson-2AAAD...@msnews.microsoft.com>, Rob
Stevenson <rstev...@accesscable.net> wrote:

> Thanks to both of you. Both replies were needed.
>
> For anyone else facing this problem, turn on View / Headers and Footers,
> then open the Drawing tools and use the Select tool to grab all the bits
> you want to get rid of, then hit Delete. Voila!
>
> It never occurred to me that I'd have to turn on Headers and Footers to
> get to a background graphic. Silly me.

Sometimes it is a bit tricky to discover stuff like that. The clue is
the repetition from page to page. Since that is what headers do best,
that is where they put it.
I guess they could have called it "repeated elements on nearly all
pages depending on how you have set up your section breaks" but it
would have made the menus a bit podgy ;-)
It isn't easy making a complex pile of bloat easy to deal with for
beginners and experts alike.
Help that helps would be useful.

Hang about Rob. Next time someone asks, you will be able to help.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

gogetcrea...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2016, 9:59:11 PM6/2/16
I bow to you! This same thing has been driving me bonkers. Now I fixed it on the first try. Thank you!!! Headers and footers. Who would have thought?

sunanda....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2016, 4:21:44 AM11/23/16
Oh yes, this was driving me nuts as well. For me it was the document formatting ... i couldnt get rid of the template. You have saved many hours!!!

proger...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2018, 10:24:01 AM6/28/18
This was exactly what I needed! Removing the footer removed the entire graphic. Thank you!

sanela.ha...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2019, 12:58:36 AM4/22/19
THANK YOUU

Hina Ali

Oct 12, 2020, 1:39:34 PM10/12/20
brilliant!

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022, 6:04:24 AM3/25/22
I know this post is around 15 years old at this point, but thank you so much. I was trying to figure out where this background graphic was located or what setting I could use to remove it for hours, and sure enough, it was simply a shape hiding in the header