footers cut off when printing

Michael DeKay

Jan 16, 2003, 12:16:52 PM1/16/03
I usually put page numbers in footers that are 0.5 inches from the
bottom of the page. Now (running OS X 10.2.3 and Word 10.1.1
or Word X with service release 1, depending on where I look), the
very bottom of the numbers are always cut off when I print. This
happens on various printers, and even when using OS X to
create a PDF file. Of course, I can change the footer to be 0.6
inches from the bottom, but that's a hassle to do for every
document. Thanks. Mike

John McGhie [MVP - Word]

Jan 16, 2003, 7:17:17 PM1/16/03
Hi Mike:

Well, you are stuck with it. Certain Apple printer drivers have declared
half an inch to be outside the printable area :-)

Cheers

This responds to microsoft.public.mac.office.word on Thu, 16 Jan 2003
09:16:52 -0800, "Michael DeKay" <de...@andrew.cmu.edu>:

All Spam blocked with SpamNet: a free download from http://www.cloudmark.com/

Please post all comments to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. GMT + 10 Hrs
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:jo...@mcghie-information.com.au

Beth Rosengard

Jan 16, 2003, 9:01:07 PM1/16/03
Hi Mike,

If you change the Footer margin in your Normal template and make it the
default, at least you won't have to change the margin for any document based
on Normal. And if you have the same problem in other templates, you can do
the same to those.

--
Beth Rosengard
Mac MVP

Mac Word FAQ: <http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/WordMac/index.html>
Entourage Help Page: <http://www.entourage.mvps.org>

On 1/16/03 4:17 PM, in article 2rie2vkt06scol7rn...@4ax.com,

Michael DeKay

Jan 30, 2003, 3:00:26 PM1/30/03
Hmmmm.... I've througt about this a bit more. If what you say is
true, then why does Excel work just fine when printing to the
same printer, again with page numbers in footers that are 0.5
inches from the bottom margin? The printer driver is the same,
right?
Mike

>.

John McGhie [MVP]

Jan 30, 2003, 5:10:01 PM1/30/03
Yes, the printer drive is the same, but Excel uses a different way to place
its headers and footers.

In Word, you need to create a margin on the File>Page Setup large enough to
hold the footer. When you specify the "From Edge" measurement in the
footer, you are referring to the distance between the edge of the page and
the top of the footer text. So if you have a multiline footer, you need to
come in 14 points (add 14 points to the margin) for each line of the footer
that you use. Make sure you turn your paragraph marks on so you can see
what you are doing :-)

Make the change in your Normal template so that all new documents get the
page number in the correct position.

Cheers

This responds to article <012201c2c89a$3b34f3c0$d6f82ecf@TK2MSFTNGXA13>,
from "Michael DeKay" <de...@andrew.cmu.edu> on 30/1/03 12:00 PM:

--
All Spam and attachments blocked by Microsoft Entourage for Mac OS X. Please
post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP: Word for Macintosh and Word for Windows
Consultant Technical Writer <jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
+61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs

kimberl...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2015, 8:39:23 AM4/22/15
I change the page setup from A4 to custom :)

Mark Heim

Oct 30, 2020, 1:08:41 PM10/30/20
Hello,
What is the significance of the list of alpha-numeric characters and symbols that are included in the bottom footer of a printed email message?
For example, a current footer consists of the following character string. What do all of these characters mean?
"https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ik=9486ef15db&view=pt&search=all&permthid=thread-a%3Ar-4940138320925772263&simpl=msg-a%3Ar-49384858..."
Thank You!
Mark