Can't open corrupt Word docx

cyder...@officeformac.com

Dec 5, 2009, 6:52:31 AM12/5/09
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel A Word docx won't respond when I try to open it.
I repeatedly had to Force Quit (with message "Word is not responding").
I suspected that a table in the docx is the problem (although the table saved OK when I put it into the docx (copy and paste from web article, then selected 'Auto fit: to contents' option and everything functioned OK; it saved and docx closed down OK at end of session).
To test my theory re table is problem, I opened docx in Text Edit and deleted table, then saved as docx with new name.
Then opened the newly saved docx (minus table) with Word on mac, and voila, it works perfectly.
If possible I want to revert to original docx (minus table), because second docx has lost some formatting through document (e.g. Bullets).
I am fairly confident that I will be able to open the corrupted docx on PC at library and will get message that table is corrupted, with option to delete table.
However, I am interested to know if there is a way to open the (corrupted) docx on my mac?
Currently, on my mac, I can't get rid of the table in original docx because I can't open the docx.
Thanks for any suggestions.

John McGhie

Dec 5, 2009, 6:35:57 PM12/5/09
You are probably correct that the corruption in this case concerns a table.
But it may also be the bullets.

A Word document is a collection of independent containers, one stores the
tables, others store various kinds of formatting. When a document corrupts,
one or more of the internal containers can become unreadable.

Yes, you can always open a document using File>Open and setting "Enable" to
"Recover text from any file". That brings back only the text, you will lose
all of the formatting.

Word 2003 and Word 2007 on the PC are both worth a try: one or other of them
will often open a corrupt document. If they do, use Save As to make a new
file. That forces re-writing all of the containers ion the document, which
usually fixes them.

Hope this helps

On 5/12/09 10:52 PM, in article 59bae...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"cyder...@officeformac.com" <cyder...@officeformac.com> wrote:

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:jo...@mcghie.name

cyder...@officeformac.com

Dec 26, 2009, 3:37:17 AM12/26/09
Thanks for helpful reply John
It took me a while to get to the library.
For others reading this thread thought this update might be useful.
The PC at library opened the docx without problem. i.e. it didn't find anything corrupt in the document.
I saved the docx with new name on PC.
The docx (with new name) opens on my mac with all formatting intact; i.e. the table, which I assumed was the problem, is OK and all bullets are OK.

John McGhie

Dec 26, 2009, 7:08:52 AM12/26/09
Yeah: The "corrupt file repair" mechanism in Word 2007 is somewhat more
aggressive than Word 2008 (as 2003 is a little bit more able to fix things
than 2004).

This self-repair ability is most likely to be useful in .docx: no version of
Word has much ability to repair the old .doc format.

Cheers

On 26/12/09 7:37 PM, in article 59bae...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"cyder...@officeformac.com" <cyder...@officeformac.com> wrote:

hielan' laddie

Dec 26, 2009, 9:17:45 AM12/26/09
On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 06:52:31 -0500, cyder...@officeformac.com wrote
(in article <59bae...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>):

In addition to trying to use Word 2003 or Word 2007 on a Windows box, you
might try using TextEdit (free with all Macs) or OpenOffice (free for the
download) or Pages (part of iWork, $80). I've found that each of them can
read files that Word 2004 or Word 2008 can't.

You should know that some formatting (particularly borders; Pages in
particular really hates borders directly attached to paragraphs) may be lost
if you use the above three items. Most formatting will survive, though.

The advantage of using one of the above is that you don't have to move from
your Mac.

hielan' laddie

Dec 26, 2009, 9:19:27 AM12/26/09
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 07:08:52 -0500, John McGhie wrote
(in article <C75C4804.6620%jo...@mcghie.name>):

> Yeah: The "corrupt file repair" mechanism in Word 2007 is somewhat more
> aggressive than Word 2008 (as 2003 is a little bit more able to fix things
> than 2004).
>
> This self-repair ability is most likely to be useful in .docx: no version of
> Word has much ability to repair the old .doc format.

TextEdit can read .DOC files that nothing else will read. Some formatting may
go away in the process, but you can get the actual text.

John McGhie

Dec 26, 2009, 6:51:10 PM12/26/09
Yeah. If you are prepared to lose formatting, Word will open in "Recover
Text from Any File" mode, which will bring the text out of anything, with no
formatting at all.

On 27/12/09 1:19 AM, in article hh572...@news6.newsguy.com, "hielan'
laddie" <bobbi...@bobbybruce.co.uk.not> wrote:

--

Message has been deleted

Patty Winter

Sep 9, 2013, 9:43:39 AM9/9/13

In article <ffeb722e-5fad-4ffb...@googlegroups.com>,
<steve...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Get Free Download Word File Recovery Tool and Resolve all problem
>without any trouble.
>
>Visit: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Docx-Repair-Tool-to-37f4d549
How is someone with a Mac supposed to run an .exe file?

steve...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2013, 5:33:14 AM9/17/13
Get Free Download Word File Recovery Tool and Resolve all problem without any trouble. http://www.docxrecovery.org/docx-file-repair-software

marcu...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2014, 5:18:51 PM7/7/14
Word Repair Toolbox to recover, repair and open corrupt MS Word Docx file which is simply repair virus infected Word Docx file. Word Repair Toolbox has important features that produce the instant recovery task within a snip. Word Recovery has inbuilt algorithms for quick recovering procedure.
http://www.docxrepairtoolbox.com/

kelvins...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2014, 3:06:37 AM8/12/14
Easily recover corrupt, damage word files documents. You should try Kernel for Word Repair Tool. That software efficient to repair & recover corrupt, damage virus affected word files documents. It can supported all latest version MS Word 95, 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013. http://www.repairdocfile.com

kelvins...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2014, 3:07:24 AM8/12/14

kayer.je...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2014, 12:42:44 AM9/26/14
Advanced and graphical user interface tool to recover corrupt or damaged Excel (.xls & .xlsx) files. Its scan corrupt or inaccessible excel files and recover your spreadsheets data.

Try:- http://www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/excel-file-recovery-tool.html

stanleyd.m...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 12:06:36 AM4/18/15
This Stellar Phoenix Word Recovery is a user-friendly and competent tool to repair corrupt Word DOC/DOCX Files without making any change in original images, text, headers and footers, fonts, and hyperlinks.

Visit the link for more info:- http://www.mannatsoftware.com/stellar-phoenix-word-repair.html

smithj...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2016, 1:54:10 PM8/6/16
MS Word files get corrupted or damaged due to power sabotage, abrupt system shutdown, virus attack, and storage media corruption. You can try a third party MS Word recovery tool ( http://www.mozesoft.com/word-file-recovery-software.html ) to recover all infected data successfully. - See more at: https://softcart.wordpress.com/word-file-recovery-software/

henr...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2016, 3:04:04 AM8/23/16
Recently I have encountered problem with my Word 2013 file. Each and every time when I was trying to open the document it says “word experienced an error trying to open the file”. I have searched Google for the answer and I have got the solution (http://msword.filerepairtool.net/blog/fix-word-experienced-an-error-trying-to-open-the-file) and it helped me to fix this error message. No I am able to open my word file with no issue at all.

amandase...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2018, 6:16:26 AM2/16/18
Try to run SysInfoTools DOCX file recovery software on your system get rid of word docx file error or corruption.

Free download: http://www.tucows.com/preview/1604491