PowerPoint printing ‘Notes’ without border and fit to page option looses text

Chang...@officeformac.com

Feb 6, 2010, 9:22:07 AM2/6/10
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I use the PP 2004 version on SL X.6.2.

I like to print the notes page for my people and when I do it always selects the 'Scale to fit' option. This then puts automatically a border around it, something I do not want but when I turn it of it does not print everything on the notes (stuff falls of the paper so to speak). In the print window, the 'Frame slides' is greyed out and not ticked.

Any tips?

Jim Gordon Mac MVP

Feb 6, 2010, 6:31:03 PM2/6/10

I like to have slides notes without borders sometimes, too.

You might want to make a template, or even change the default slide
presentation if you prefer. Here's what you can do:

View > Master > Notes Master
The Notes Master will display
Click on the border around the slides notes so that it is selected.
You'll know by the shape "handles" that appear and the line turns solid.
While the border is selected, choose Format Shape
In the left side click Line
On the right side click the Solid tab.
From the Color pop-up choose No Line.
Click OK.

You'll still see a faint line just to let you know where the boundaries
of the slide notes are.

View > Slide Notes and you'll see that the border is gone there. Also it
won't appear when printed.

There's a lot more about these topics on pages 539-541, 558 of Office
2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Chang...@officeformac.com

Feb 7, 2010, 4:25:56 AM2/7/10
Jim good morning, thank you for your post.

> View > Master > Notes Master
> The Notes Master will display
> Click on the border around the slides notes so that it is selected.
> You'll know by the shape "handles" that appear and the line turns solid.

I am on 2004 so maybe that is why, but no such border shows in my Notes Master. and in the Notes Master Layout no such option is available.

So is this different in 2004 version? also if I have a show of more than 3 slides it will always not border the tittle slides but the other ones will have a border.

Thanks.

Jim Gordon Mac MVP

Feb 7, 2010, 11:27:42 AM2/7/10

Hi again,

The procedure to follow is the same in 2004, except the dialog box will
is called Format AutoShape instead of Format Shape.

If your slides shows are like some of mine, slides have been copied,
pasted, and inserted from a variety of sources. Some slides may have a
border formatted as a result of coming from various templates. You may
have to go through your presentation slide by slide and format each
slide note.

If you have a hundreds or thousands of slides to check, you may be able
to produce a macro that loops through each slide in a presentation and
sets the slide notes border to No Line. You could even design the macro
to search your computer for all presentations and format the borders if
you really wanted to. Also, check the borders on any templates that you
have - each template is another place where the border could have been
turned on.

Chang...@officeformac.com

Feb 8, 2010, 2:32:48 AM2/8/10
Jim good morning again.

maybe I do not understand you or maybe I was not clear, you wrote in your previous post:

> Click on the border around the slides notes so that it is selected.

and I have no border showing! neither do I anywhere else. Sl that is where I am stuck.

CyberTaz

Feb 8, 2010, 9:15:38 AM2/8/10
I'm somewhat stumped on the Border issue, but I believe your fundamental
problem is that the 'Slides sized for:' in Page Setup is set to something
other than 'On-Screen Show' & in the print Options you're choosing to print
on a smaller size page [i.e., sized for A4 printing on US Letter. If you
adjust those settings it should resolve the Scaling issue. Once the Scaling
is no longer being imposed perhaps the Border issue will be moot.

Even under those circumstances, though, I'm unable to reproduce the Border
when removing the Scaling check. Nor does one 'automatically' appear under
any circumstances here. Where - exactly is this border? Is it around the
Notes area, the slide itself or the entire Notes Page?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/8/10 2:32 AM, in article 59bb2...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,

Chang...@officeformac.com

Feb 8, 2010, 11:03:56 AM2/8/10
Hi Bob,

> I'm somewhat stumped on the Border issue, but I believe your fundamental
> problem is that the 'Slides sized for:' in Page Setup is set to something
> other than 'On-Screen Show' & in the print Options you're choosing to print
> on a smaller size page [i.e., sized for A4 printing on US Letter. If you
> adjust those settings it should resolve the Scaling issue. Once the Scaling
> is no longer being imposed perhaps the Border issue will be moot.

I think that is it, and I have changed the format to US even though I am on A4 etc. that seems to solve it and although not elegant it works and that is what matters. it might have to do with the fact that these shows are very old and I have noted before that in every upgrade from MS formats get either lost or corrupted. so maybe that is what happened here. anyway thanks for thinking with me.

> Even under those circumstances, though, I'm unable to reproduce the Border
> when removing the Scaling check. Nor does one 'automatically' appear under
> any circumstances here.

I jsut made a new show and there is no roblme so it is a compatibilety issue!

> Where - exactly is this border? Is it around the
> Notes area, the slide itself or the entire Notes Page?

entire Notes Page

Thnaks

CyberTaz

Feb 8, 2010, 12:18:13 PM2/8/10
Glad you're getting it resolved! As for...

<snip>
On 2/8/10 11:03 AM, in article 59bb2...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Chang...@officeformac.com" <Chang...@officeformac.com> wrote:

>> Where - exactly is this border? Is it around the
>> Notes area, the slide itself or the entire Notes Page?
>
> entire Notes Page

<snip>

In the Print dialog open the Copies & Pages list, select Layout to see if a
Border is specified there.

Chang...@officeformac.com

Feb 9, 2010, 1:54:38 AM2/9/10
Hi Bob,

> Glad you're getting it resolved! As for...

me too!

> In the Print dialog open the Copies & Pages list, select Layout to see if a
> Border is specified there.

I was there before and no it is not.

Eric

cploug1

Mar 29, 2015, 3:05:13 PM3/29/15

I am having the same problem, but with Office for Mac 2011.

Normally, I can go to the "notes master", click on the slide, format it to "no border," and then it prints (well, I save as a PDF) without a border around the slide. However, there are some professors that I get presentations from that this does not work - even when I edit the border on notes master, the slides still print with a black border.

This is what I do:
- First I usually have to change the theme of the slideshow to be a white background instead of blue; then check slides to make sure all text is white and things are positioned correctly after changing the overall theme.
- Edit the notes master (changing slide size, border, position, and textbox position)
- Close the notes master
- Print, choosing "notes"
- The slide size and position are changed, but the border is still there!

I'm wondering if this has something to do with presentations being an old powerpoint format, I just noticed that the one I'm trying to change now is a 1997-2004 format. I tried doing "save as" and then saving it as the newest format, but that did not help.

Is there a way to convert it, and would that help?

I have also tried copy the slides into a new powerpoint and do it from there, but the problem persists.

It is possible to do "view -> notes page" and remove the line that way, but I would have to do each slide individually, and when there are at least 4 powerpoints each day, and about 100 slides per presentation, that would be way too tedious and time consuming for an already time-deprived vet student!

Thank you for your help!

astrca...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2018, 6:42:48 PM2/15/18
Amazing! Thanks! This still works for Office 365 for Mac!

-Rylee