How do I view the grid in Powerpoint?

coff...@officeformac.com

Sep 6, 2008, 6:09:21 PM9/6/08
Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I find having the grid visible makes laying out my powerpoint slides much easier. But I can't see any way to make the grid visible in the 'normal' view in PowerPoint 2008. It's been a while since I've worked with PowerPoint, but it seems to me that this was possible in earlier (windows) versions. I have dug around in the "view" menu, in the help files, and in preferences, and can't find any way to do it.

Are the dynamic and static guides supposed to be some sort of replacement for the grid? If so, they are much more cumbersome.

I welcome any suggestions What do I do to make the grid visible?

sara...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2008, 11:19:42 PM9/23/08

I'd like to second this question and expand -- how do I change the
grid settings? (And yes, it is possible in PC versions and/or older
versions.)

CyberTaz

Sep 24, 2008, 10:18:48 AM9/24/08
Your recollections of other Mac & PC versions is accurate, but the feature
is absent from 2008 - as for *why* I have no clue :-(

I agree with your perception of the Dynamic Guides in particular. Photoshop
has a similar feature which I thoroughly detest.

Use Help> Send Feedback to submit your comments on the matter. That's the
source MS consults pertaining to suggestions, complaints & requests - don't
expect a personal reply, but they do monitor that information.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/6/08 6:09 PM, in article 59b58...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,

Jim Gordon MVP

Sep 24, 2008, 7:29:58 PM9/24/08

Right-click on the slide background and choose Guides to turn the grid
lines on and off.

Dynamic is supposed to be a replacement for the grid.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are independent experts who are not affiliated with Microsoft.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Visit my blog
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-i7JMeio7cqvhotIUwCzaJWq9

CyberTaz

Sep 25, 2008, 2:29:56 AM9/25/08
Hi Jim -

<snip>
On 9/24/08 7:29 PM, in article OZfS21pH...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, "Jim
Gordon MVP" <gold...@warmerthanwarmmail.com> wrote:

> Right-click on the slide background and choose Guides to turn the grid
> lines on and off.

<snip>

That just does the same as View> Guides by making the Grid active/inactive,
but the OP wants the Grid *displayed* & the other poster also wants to be
able to adjust the Grid's spacing intervals. Both features have been omitted
in 2008 but exist in all other versions of PC & Mac PPt.

Jim Gordon MVP

Sep 25, 2008, 11:06:07 AM9/25/08

Hi Bob,

Yea, I know.

I just wanted to confirm the OP's suspicion that MacBU thought this
would be a "good" thing. Obviously not.

Unknown

Sep 26, 2008, 5:16:21 AM9/26/08
I need this Feature right now. So I'll uninstall this version and reinstall PowerPoint 2004. Why do they remove such an feature? That sucks!

shrikan...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 9:03:53 AM4/16/15
There is a simple solution to this. Click Format Background by double clicking the slide. The Fill option provides Patterns that could be used for the background. Simply pick the first one or you can play around and even get a proper grid.

bhe...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2015, 11:11:09 PM9/13/15
I made a table with 1" X 1" cells and moved it to the back. Not a very elegant solution, but it worked.

hut...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2018, 12:55:03 AM6/26/18
Just be grudgingly downloaded office for mac and there is still no grid option in this latest version. I will try calling them tomorrow as this is unacceptable. the most basic design tool...no wonder most powerpoint presentations look like an elementary school bulletin board.