msn money stock quotes add-in

rwitt...@officeformac.com

Nov 28, 2009, 1:59:36 AM11/28/09
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have created spreadsheets in Excel for Windows 2007 that use the MSN Money Stock Quotes Add-in to retrieve stock information. I believe that this add-in is preventing Excel for Mac 2008 from being able to open the spreadsheet. Is there a similar add-in available for Excel:Mac 2008?

Jim Gordon Mac MVP

Nov 28, 2009, 10:32:54 AM11/28/09

Add-ins will not work in Excel 2008 because, unfortunately, there is no
support for Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). The best you can do in
Excel 2008 is to use a web query.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274787

VBA will return in the next version of Mac Office. At that time it will
sport a shiny, new compiler that may finally bring speed improvements
(hoping against hope) for VBA on the Mac.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

bda...@officeformac.com

Nov 28, 2009, 1:12:28 PM11/28/09
rwittstock, I agree that the MSN Stock Quotes add-in was a great tool to download specific quotes which could be used in Excel. Upon switching to iMac and Excel 2008 we lost it. Had to take all references to that data out of the spreadsheets - Excel wouldn't even save them.

Now finding that I can download the portfolio positions from Fidelity (my broker) and then store the .csv file as an .xlsx file. Then the data can be copied or referenced to give the current data - either nightly or first thing in the AM.

Also - F2 key doesn't open cell for edit or shown cells referenced. Having a floating formula bar is much worse than a bar within each sheet. New trick - using a double click to edit in the cell and to show referenced cells. Too bad - used to use F2 very frequently.

Also - miss the file tabs at the bottom of the page, tough to find other spreadsheets open in this new excel.
We'll learn this new system together.
Keep Smiling,
Blaine

JE McGimpsey

Nov 28, 2009, 9:41:13 PM11/28/09
In article <59bad...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
bda...@officeformac.com wrote:

> >Also - F2 key doesn't open cell for edit or shown cells referenced.

Use CTRL-u instead (the original shortcut before XL was ported from Mac
to Windows).