Excel X PMT function seems incorrect

Joseph

Mar 22, 2003, 3:48:58 PM3/22/03
Using the Fx button from the top of the screen and entering the
following for each question, the PMT amount comes up incorrectly. Am I
doing something wrong or is this a known problem? Can any body shed
any light?

rate .06
Nper 360
PV 200000

PMT result is 12,000.00

According to my financial calculator that should yield 1,199.10

J.E. McGimpsey

Mar 22, 2003, 6:10:35 PM3/22/03
You need to have all your arguments in the same time units:

PMT(rate, Nper, PV)

Since NPer = 360, I assume you want monthly payments. So

rate = 6%/12
Nper = 360
PV = 200000

and PMT(6%/12, 360, 200000) ===> -1,199.10

Note that the PMT will be negative since the PV is positive (You're
receiving 200000, so cash is coming in, then pay back 1199.10 per
month, or cash goes out). You can reverse the signs if you want, as
long as you are consistent.

In article <667d1d76.03032...@posting.google.com>, Joseph

Graham Marshall

Jan 24, 2024, 8:06:03 PMJan 24
I can't reconcile the PMT function with a payments table. In the example below the PMT for a $10000 loan fully amortised over 10 years at an interest rate of 5% solves for an annual payment of $1233.38. However when I set that out in a schedule I get $776 remaining after 10 years. Alternatively the payment goal seeks as $1295 pa to get zero residual. I have tried both 1 and 0 for the 'Type' but that doesn't solve the problem. Any suggestions ?

PV LOAN 10000
Nper Term 10
i i 5.00%
PMT -$1,233.38